Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot format USB Flash stick

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dunkfather

dunkfather

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

Hi. I'm having a problem with my USB Flash stick. It's Kingston DT101 G2 16 GB drive. Drive needs to be formatted and it can't. It's giving message that "format cannot be completed successfully". In disk management, I tried formatting as well but it gave similar message. It's saying that USB is RAW (I think its file system) Healthy (Primary Partition). Now, I was trying lot of stuff while google-ing the problem and with all stuff I've read I'm not sure what exactly I did. Was trying something in CMD as well but it resulted in failure because a command in diskpart section could not be completed.

Now, I'm ready to get over all of the stuff necessary to fix this providing you with all screenshots / errors / results I'm having. Hope to hear soon from you guys :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

You may need to use a Linux based tool to fix it (if it's not completely broken).

Try booting from a GParted or PartedMagic image and using that.

#3 dunkfather

dunkfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Sorry, didn't quite understand you there. Those 2 programs you listed run on Windows ? And I should try formatting USB using them, right ?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

The two programs TsVk! suggested are linux based and therefore require you to create a boot disk. The RAW flag means the file system and or partition table are corrupted. Do you need any data off the flash drive?

If not you can reformat using the command prompt and diskpart but it's easier and safer using a program like Partition Wizard. Select the flash drive disk and in the menu select Wipe Disk zero fill quick. Then create a primary NTFS partition

For using diskpart you open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the Search Box and then Right Click > Run As Administrator.

diskpart    Opens the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with your flash drive. Make sure you have this number correct as the next step will wipe the drive

clean all             This will Wipe the disk. It finishes when you see the diskpart prompt again

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

exit

exit

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

it's easier and safer using a program like Partition Wizard.

Not safer, just easier.

Linux tools are more direct and do not have the same subroutines as Windows tools. For this reason a Linux partition editor is less likely to fail than a Windows one when repairing corrupted flash storage. The implication of a failure may include physical damage to the device causing it to be permanently unusable.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

it's easier and safer using a program like Partition Wizard.

Not safer, just easier.

Linux tools are more direct and do not have the same subroutines as Windows tools. For this reason a Linux partition editor is less likely to fail than a Windows one when repairing corrupted flash storage. The implication of a failure may include physical damage to the device causing it to be permanently unusable.

I agree on that point, offline is safer. I was referring to the difference between using diskpart and Partition Wizard. Safer being that the user would have less of a chance of selecting the wrong disk. If I was going to be doing partition movements then I would definitely be doing it outside of Windows.

#7 dunkfather

dunkfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:05 AM

Hi. Wanted to give you update on topic and to thank you for your help. I've installed Partition Wizard and did the Wipe Disk zero fill quick part. It was successful and it says now that space is unallocated. However, this is farthest I can go because I cannot complete the next part which is creating partition. I tried creating NTFS and FAT32 partition, program said that is was done successfully but it still remained as unallocated space, just cant create new partition. What should I do now ?

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:33 AM

What Os you using ?

#9 dunkfather

dunkfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:57 AM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

This might be of some use for you

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248980/how-to-partition-and-format-your-hard-drive-in-windows.html

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

After completing the steps to create a partition did you click Apply? If you did try shadow's method of doing it using Disk Management.

#12 dunkfather

dunkfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Yes, I clicked Apply but it didn't resulted in solving my issue. Regarding shadow's method, I am not able to do that because I don't have that option. I'll post you print screen of Disk Management here:

p40vwiP.jpg

Only thing I'm able to do here is to Format which I tried but wasn't able to do successfully.

Edited by dunkfather, 11 February 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

You can't partition the drive because Windows still thinks it's RAW. I don't understand how it can be RAW if you wiped the drive as wiping the drive would result in the disk being marked as having Unallocated Space and not RAW.

Use the diskpart commands I posted to wipe the disk and create an NTFS partition. Make sure disk X is your flash drive and not your internal drive.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

The partition structure of the disk is damaged. I recommend you use a bootable tool to try to remediate the disk. Please see posts #2 and #5.

Further modifications with Windows will likely leave it permanently unusable, if it has not already passed that point.

#15 dunkfather

dunkfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

I'll try to get in touch with company that sold me USB and see if warranty is still up because I don't want to increase damage to him. Thanks to all who tried to help. You can close this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users