Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

possible infection at my end...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fathertime13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:33 AM

Around the end of December, i started to notice my alieware tower was not responding like it used to. The computer is only about a year old, so it struck me as odd. Ran virus check with Kaspersky (my anitvirus), as well as, Malwarebytes (which I also run). A day or two later (and please forgive me, but I cant recall exactly), I stared having trouble getting in to my email (optimun.net). I was using FireFox and both, FireFox and Kaspersky, where both warning that that they could not guarentee a secure connection. So I backed out and waited.  The next day, I started having trouble with my internet brower. every so often I would get a message from Google, that they were detecting abnormally height network traffice from me IP address. Then,a program i use to monitor the standing of my email, started to show agencies blacklisting my ip address. I can not remember what happened exactly or how I "thought" i was able to correct the issue, but it turned out to be some sort of "netbot", that was spamming from system. Once I took care of that, the computer was back to running normal. Then a few days later, it started acting up again. So after several attempts as trying to resolve this issue (where I should have posted month ago), I said screw it and did a long system reset (12hours). Same thing happened, good for a couple days, then not working and locking me out or freezing my screen. When this would happen, I would go into airplane mode and pull the Ethernet cables to be safe. So now, after my second reset, I have thrown in the towel and prepared to do the "manly" thing of asking for help.
The only thing I do from when the computer is reset to when it starts act up:
1, installed windows (Microsoft usb)
2. install updates
3. Go to Dell.com/support (drivers and apps)
4. Download Kaspersky and Malwarebytes Endpoint.
5. Install firefox and remove IE from my task bar.
I don't surf the web anymore cause of this and I don't click on foreign links. I don't have any Peer to Peer programs or pirated media.  I just did my second reset so right now everything is fine and the computer has minimal files, expect for the updates and drivers install. I would just like to know if:
1. I have an infection
2.if I do, how did it survive the reset.
3. a friend had made a suggestion that perhaps the infection is in my "modem"??
4. Is something wrong with the drivers/applications for alienware being corrupted
From previous posts by other posters, I assume you will want a Farbar report. I will:
1.Not do anything, until specifically told to.

2. will not run any other programs with out consent.

** If this was posted in the wrong forum, I apologize **

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Edited by hamluis, 10 February 2017 - 11:58 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Spt to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fathertime13

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:35 AM

my apologizes,but forgot to mention that Kaspersky and Malwarebytes both failed to locate anything. I hope there is no infection so as to have faith in those products.

#3 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,728 posts
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

Welcome to BC...

Sounds a bit like your computer is part of a botnet. Suggest you start a new topic in the malware removal forum by following

the instructions below.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Fathertime13

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thank you for your timely response to this matter. Once again, I would like to apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I will do as you instructed, but right now I'm in the process of getting a new modem from my ISP. When I was trying to load my drivers, my Internet got really slow and I saw that my IP address and DNS were all changed. I know that is never a good sign, but I'll follow the prep instructions and repost inthe malware thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users