Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:32 PM

Hi,

I bought a computer for $25 that's seems to be in good shape, but the board seems a little old. It's an ASUS IPILP-LC. I found a good information page for it but don't quite understand the processor upgrade information. I wanted to know which processor would make it run the fastest. Is it worth bothering with ? Linux (not my favorite) would run on it.

Manufacturer's motherboard name: ASUS IPILP-LC - - - - - - HP/Compaq name: Lancaster-GL6    

Chipset
    Intel 945GC
 Front-side bus speed
    533 MHz, 800 MHz (processor dependent)

Socket type: 775 - Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Core 2 Duo E4x00 with Dual Core technology (Conroe) up to E4400
    Pentium E2000 series (Conroe) up to E2160
    Pentium D 9xx with Dual Core technology (Presler) up to 960
    Pentium 4 6x1 series (Cedar Mill) up to 661
    Celeron 4xx series (Conroe) up to 440
    Celeron D 3xx series (Cedar Mill) up to 365
    Celeron D 3xx series (Prescott) up to 355

Memory upgrade information
    Dual channel memory architecture

Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
    Supported DIMM types:

PC2-3200 (400 MHz)
        PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
        PC2-5300 (667 MHz, runs at 533 MHz)
    non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

Supports 1 GB DDR2 DIMMs
    Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB    (is that it ?) puzzled

Expansion Slots
    One PCI Express x16 ------ One PCI Express x1 ----- Two PCI
    One 24-pin ATX power connector ----  One 4-pin ATX power connector ---- One PATA connector
    Two SATA connectors ---- One floppy drive connector.  Two USB headers supporting 4 USB ports or devices.
    One Intel high-definition Audio/Modem Link (not used by HP)

Probably more info than you needed, but bleeping wouldn't let me put in a link.

Thanks,  Alan   Attached File  Noname.png   539.63KB   0 downloads 

Edited by Rayoptics, 09 February 2017 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CFDNRO

CFDNRO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

Hi Alan,

A processor is not about running the "fastest", think of this if you were to have a processor that's the "fastest" speed (GHz or MHz) it may not have as much "cache" (MB) or CPU Cores which will help a lot more when handling multiple processes. The Clock Speed within the CPU is only an indication of the clock cycles it can perform per second. Given the options you have listed I can't seem to find any information on the upgrade-able CPU's, but given there is only DDR2 RAM and a certain limitation to speed and the memory with only 2 Slots; the RAM itself wouldn't be "fast" and the other components could be a little bit expensive due to their age. Also with Linux it's probably not the best option in my opinion, I would keep it as it is currently and use it as a test machine in case something comes up in the future. I find Linux is great to experience/explore when you're bored or require testing for a client etc.

My recommendation is probably putting $100-$125 a side and building your own, doesn't have to be the new components but something fairly new that's compatible with DDR4 and other components giving you the option to upgrade and continue to develop your build over some time. As an overall opinion I would keep it but not upgrade to it and start looking at other options that have more of a purpose and is cost-effective in the future. Happy to help with a potential build in the future if you need any help.

Thanks,

Dylan

Edited by CFDNRO, 09 February 2017 - 11:38 PM.

#3 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

A very clear and well written answer. Thank you Dylan.

Alan  :)

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:30 AM

Well if a intel core E4400 is the fastest you can get well their you go, should be able to find one for like $5~$10 used, and i don't know what buddy going on about when it comes to linux, main thing i don't like about it is its hard to game.

#5 CFDNRO

CFDNRO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

That's your own personal opinion but I find your reply not relevant at all; your saying you "could" find one and a made up price without clearly doing any research. Furthermore nowhere was it mentioned his use for Linux, so if you assumed it was for gaming it's probably best you find something in the PC Building section of this Forum.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

That's your own personal opinion but I find your reply not relevant at all; your saying you "could" find one and a made up price without clearly doing any research.

Their you go happy ?

Took me 5sec on google to find a link for the cpu for $5.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-INTEL-Core-2-Duo-E4400-CPU-Processor-2Ghz-2M-800MHz-65W-Socket-775/32788309254.html

What makes you think i didn't do research on the topic, if you look at my profile you see im a computer tech and fix computers for a living and have bin doing the computer topic for 35 years or so.

I didn't look up the price of the cpu in question at the time i posted seeing as i knew what it was worth before hand in any case, as well i all most find cpus like that in the trash for free.

And i find your personal opinion when it comes to Linux seems to be one based on pure ignorance of what Linux is and not relevant as well.

Furthermore nowhere was it mentioned his use for Linux, so if you assumed it was for gaming it's probably best you find something in the PC Building section of this Forum.

On the topic of what Os to use i would use winXP on a system like that if you wanted to game and you should be able to game piles with it, mind you older games only of course, if your not a gamer seeing as most games out their don't run on Linux then i would go with this for my Os seeing as it needs very little hardware wise to run, is all most immune to hackers and virus topics as well as being 100% free to use and is 100% updated.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

#7 CFDNRO

CFDNRO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

An old processor will never be as "fast" as you expect with technology nowadays'. But please bare in mind that there are other components that also need to be upgraded if he wants it to run fast IE. the RAM etc, so what's the point in spending money on something that will never run as fast as you expect. It's the opposite of being cost-effective; it needs to be upgraded-able in the future and providing good performance at a reasonable budget. Also being a "Hardcore Gamer" doesn't mean you have to assume that the original request was for PC Gaming. If you know that much about PC Gaming, then you'll know you need fairly good components to run different games in different modes. I see no point in putting a LINUX machine to that use.

"and i don't know what buddy going on about when it comes to linux" - Enterprises use Linux more than you think. So if you don't think there's any other use then you clearly need to do more research about how it can be used for enterprises and the stability of them.

Mixed opinions; I can pick up a processor for £25:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-E4400-Core-2-Duo-SLA3F-2-0GHz-2M-CPU-/162357030715?hash=item25cd3baf3b:g:ZfwAAOxydUJTNyos

Overall thought: Don't put money into something that's not going to be used for it's full potential use.

Edited by CFDNRO, 10 February 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#8 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

I got my best answer from CFDNRO. Lets consider this closed !

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

CFDNRO: Given the options you have listed I can't seem to find any information on the upgrade-able CPU's

First of all he lists the options in his first post and 2nd you didn't do more then 2 sec of searching on the net before saying something.

Full mobo manual PDF

http://www.ctechinfo.net/documentation/manuals/locktite_manual.pdf

If its true the mobo supports conroe cpus then you can put the following in with bios updates 65TDP max.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroe_(microprocessor)

As for max ram its 1x1gig ddr1 400mgz 2gigs max.

CFDNRO: Also with Linux it's probably not the best option in my opinion, I would keep it as it is currently and use it as a test machine in case something comes up in the future. I find Linux is great to experience/explore when you're bored or require testing for a client etc.

What is then ?
WInspy 10 ?

CFDNRO: My recommendation is probably putting $100-$125 a side and building your own, doesn't have to be the new components but something fairly new that's compatible with DDR4 and other components giving you the option to upgrade and continue to develop your build over some time.

4 gigs ddr4 costs like $30+ tax+ shipping USD so your not going to go far with $125, Id like to see you post a link to a system that costs $125 total that's better then what we can do with OP $25 system and + $100 in used parts and one that that all so uses ddr4 for under $125 total for the home system.

CFDNRO: As an overall opinion I would keep it but not upgrade to it and start looking at other options that have more of a purpose and is cost-effective in the future.

Like ?
Still waiting to see your killer $125 system.

CFDNRO: Happy to help with a potential build in the future if you need any help.

You can start with posting a link to a full system for $125

CFDNRO: That's your own personal opinion but I find your reply not relevant at all; your saying you "could" find one and a made up price without clearly doing any research

Found one on google in 2 sec for like $5 and on ebay for $2.50, seems like its you that dousen't do research and dousen't know what hes talking about.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-INTEL-Core-2-Duo-E4400-CPU-Processor-2Ghz-2M-800MHz-65W-Socket-775/32788309254.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-SLA3F-Core-2-Duo-E4400-2GHz-Socket-775-Processor-CPU/151406049270?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41434%26meid%3D91cc05e6d70e4b79885c7bbdf5880f16%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162357030715

CFDNRO: Furthermore nowhere was it mentioned his use for Linux, so if you assumed it was for gaming it's probably best you find something in the PC Building section of this Forum.

Rayoptics : I bought a computer for $25 that's seems to be in good shape, but the board seems a little old. It's an ASUS IPILP-LC. I found a good information page for it but don't quite understand the processor upgrade information. I wanted to know which processor would make it run the fastest. Is it worth bothering with ? Linux (not my favorite) would run on it.

?????????????

Op never said what his use was for his pc was and he did talk about maybe using Linux in his first post, scroll up and re-read what he said.

and yes Rayoptics even with out upgrading anything Linux will run fine on it, upgrading some of the hardware would help though and cost little.

CFDNRO: An old processor will never be as "fast" as you expect with technology nowadays

Meaning what? it won't run winXP or Linux ?

CFDNRO: But please bare in mind that there are other components that also need to be upgraded if he wants it to run fast IE

Internet explorer is no longer supported last i checked and anyone still using it is brain dead and asking to get hacked, its bin replaced with edge browser and no one with a brain use IE to surf the net when theirs piles of other better options out their on this topic.

CFDNRO: so what's the point in spending money on something that will never run as fast as you expect

Depends what were trying to do with the system, OP hasn't said what the computer is needed for.

CFDNRO: It's the opposite of being cost-effective; it needs to be upgraded-able in the future and providing good performance at a reasonable budget.

If were talking Linux with his $25 computer + some cheap upgrades you won't need to upgrade anything hardware wise for some time depending on what we need the computer for and if and when that day comes that we need more performance who cares seeing as were talking about a dirt cheap computer in any case so at that point you just get all new hardware or a good deal on something used/ better if and when needed in any case.

CFDNRO: Also being a "Hardcore Gamer" doesn't mean you have to assume that the original request was for PC Gaming

Shadow: On the topic of what Os to use i would use winXP on a system like that if you wanted to game and you should be able to game piles with it, mind you older games only of course, if your not a gamer seeing as most games out their don't run on Linux then i would go with this for my Os seeing as it needs very little hardware wise to run, is all most immune to hackers and virus topics as well as being 100% free to use and is 100% updated.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Did i say or assume it was ?

CFDNRO: you'll know you need fairly good components to run different games in different modes

Really ? like what games we talking about ?

For a game like age of empires II that i play often online you only need like a p3 750mgz cpu with 512megs ram winXP to game.

Something newer like league of legends dousen't need much too for max fps, starcraft2 that's super popular would run on it as well with winXP.

CFDNRO: I see no point in putting a LINUX machine to that use.

What use we talking about ?

by the way steam game client works in Linux if you didn't know, so its not like the game topic is 100% dead in Linux its just more of a pain and more limited / less compatible.

CFDNRO: Enterprises use Linux more than you think. So if you don't think there's any other use then you clearly need to do more research about how it can be used for enterprises and the stability of them.

Why you going on about servers out of the blue you forget to take your meds or something ?

We dealing with servers here ? O_o i know i didn't go their and when i was talking about Linux i was only talking about distros for home use not servers.
Yes enterprises use Linux duh, whats your point and what douse this have to do with anything for a computer/Linux for home use.

CFDNRO: Mixed opinions; I can pick up a processor for £25:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-E4400-Core-2-Duo-SLA3F-2-0GHz-2M-CPU-/162357030715?hash=item25cd3baf3b:g:ZfwAAOxydUJTNyos

Look up way way up on your link, theirs one selling for $2.50.

What you do ?

List prices for the E4400 cpu from highest to lowest then link/post to the highest priced one you could find ?

CFDNRO: Overall thought: Don't put money into something that's not going to be used for it's full potential use.

Your assuming you know what he needs the computer for at this point, and you tried to shoot me down more then once saying im the one assuming things on this topic and i never did.

#10 CFDNRO

CFDNRO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Dude leave it alone; get a KitKat.

Edited by CFDNRO, 10 February 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Build me a system with ddr4 / 4gigs ram min in it for $125 total with taxs and shipping, post when your done.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Whatever Troll.

Edited by shadow_647, 10 February 2017 - 07:28 PM.

#12 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

Yeah really

#13 CFDNRO

CFDNRO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

:)

Edited by CFDNRO, 10 February 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Topic closed for going wildly off topic and then getting into personalities.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Yeah really

Well if your happy OP im happy, its just when i see troll posts from people that don't know what their talking about and start going on about im a twit as well as want to start with me i have a bad habit of putting people like that in their place, guess ill move on to other parts of the world at this point, seeing as you don't need the help of a pro at retro computer system building.

Ps nice try CFDNRO ;)

Your missing some parts though like PSU/CASE/hdds/dvd rom/video card/fans.

Cpu to go for too at the moment as well is the G4560 if your going cheap / new from Intel and if i haven't missed my guess the motherboard you picked dousen't support the G4560 out of the box with out a bios flash so that's a bit of a problem, integrated graphics as well blow for gaming or even if gaming is not part of the menu seeing as it eats memory bandwidth and slows the hole system down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users