Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing sophos free anti-virus in zorin os 12

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 placemat

placemat

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hello Everyone, I am attempting to install Sophos free anti-virus. I use anti-virus no matter what system I am using. In the terminal I have a funny little issue.

I could not use sudo as you must be root to install Sophos, but if I use gksudo I can get as far down as return to display license for Sophos. I saved the file as Downloads.

It is on the return I am having trouble. It does not matter which key I press on the keyboard, I just get a beep sound. It is a wired keyboard, and everything works with it.

I use it in Windows 7 with no worries. I was wondering if there is some other key to press that I am unaware of. As I am new to Zorin os maybe there is some little

trick I do not know of. :bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

The reason you're having trouble is because this it a windoze anti-virus software and will not run in Linux...anyway Linux doesn't have viruses so you won't need it.   :thumbup2:

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

Hi

Have you read this? Sophos Antivirus For Linux

The reason you're having trouble is because this it a windoze anti-virus software and will not run in Linux..anyway Linux doesn't have viruses so you won't need

There is a Linux version of Sophos, And I agree.

#4 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Thank you both for replying. Thank you Nickau for the link above. I will read it, and try again. :bananas:

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

In either case if you cannot get it working it's not a issue as Linux is immune to Windows viruses and even though it's not Bulletproof Linux can be recovered quite easily compared to Windows

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:19 AM

Thank you MadmanRB, I will leave it alone, had enough of playing with it, and Zorin is fun and easy to use. :bananas:

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:35 AM

Good Move, placemat.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

@placemat:-

As long as you have UFW up-and-running, you should be fine. It'll block any nasties (as long as you have it configured correctly), and it doesn't hog all your RAM the way AV does.

If I recall correctly, Zorin has it installed by default, although I am going back a few releases. If not, it should be a simple matter of

sudo apt-get install gufw

...in the terminal, then just track it down in the Settings menu, and switch it on. Sorted. Either that, or, again in the terminal,

sudo ufw enable

GUFW is just the graphical 'front-end' for it; its GUI, if you like.....which many Windows 'refugees' will find easier to use.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 February 2017 - 06:41 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:12 PM

Thank your Mike for replying. I have stopped fiddling with it. Happy to leave it alone. Thank you everyone. :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users