Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dont know password now

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 maxonnxc

maxonnxc

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

My dad has a laptop he used for his company he developed brain cancer fought it for 3.5yrs about 6months ago he was trying to login to his laptop he ask my to do it so he gave me the password i login, through the 6 months the cancer gotten worse and cause him to hallucinate at times he was thinking the computer was locking him out, one day he must of changed the windows 8 user login password.. Now he is not with us anymore as of 1/28/2017, Sense he is gone the company went to my mother and she needs to login to check and do stuff for the company.. how can we change or get the password.. .. but she needs to login the laptop because all company files are in there...i tried the system repair and trouble shoot which takes me to CMD i could change password but CMD is blocked by user password aswell.. i cant do system recovery factory default im afraid it will delete all the companies files. that would be a mess. im sure he has a backup on web some where we don't know where..

my mom is stress out because she cant login to see what needs to be done at company  

And i am sorry for the long post..

I can prove his death if needed

ty

chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Enable the hidden Administrator Account using this guide. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 you will need to disable SecureBoot and enable Legacy Boot if available. If the computer is HP you can tap the Esc key during boot to enable legacy boot on the boot device.

Here is a Video showing the steps. Once the Hidden Administrator account is enabled you can login to it and copy your data.

The software in the guide has been updated and can be downloaded here. You can burn the iso file to a CD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn image.

If the above does not get you to the Hidden Administrator account you can boot a live linux disk and copy the data you need to an external drive. Post back if you need the instructions on doing the copy with a linux disk.

Another option is to remove the drive and attach it to another computer using a USB adapter or enclosure.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

You only have such options
  1. Start the computer from another device, such as a bootable disk or use some Linux Live DVD, etc, and save or copy the files to some other place.
  2. use the built administrator account, it is always available and without a password

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

@maxonmxc, I am assuming you only have one available account to login to, correct? There may be a way to do this without a boot disk. Do the below steps and open a command prompt. Type the following command 

net user administrator /active:yes

If successful you should now have the Administrator to login to. 

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#5 maxonnxc

maxonnxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

johnC_21 I did mention in starting thread cmd will not work unless  user is login  enabling admin ill need to use CMD Aswell so this wont help either

Win 7 dvd/usb boot will not work it says the version of windows you trying to use will not work on this version wins u have installed here, says something like that, far as i can get inside repair, is at windows install/repair option when i click on repair options i get the popup stating above  this sentence 

Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot. cmd i know how to change the password only if i could use cmd which i can't because it asking for same user password which we dont know now.. 
If i need to use CMD to do any of stuff you are telling me it wont work as i stated right above this sentence..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but from my experience win 7 will not recognize win 8 partition so putting it in another pc wont help only other all other pc have win 7.  yes i have used hdd usb adapter and i used the motherboard sata/ide  will not recognize hdd partition
Another option is to remove the drive and attach it to another computer using a USB adapter or enclosure..

Edited by maxonnxc, 09 February 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Sorry, I missed that. Windows 7 will recognize a Windows 8 partition. Both are formatted with the NTFS file system. If the Windows 8 partition was encrypted then nothing would be able to read the partiiton. 

Use a live linux disk. I know linux reads Windows 8 partitions unless the partition has been encrypted. 

#7 maxonnxc

maxonnxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

where do i get this linux? and will i have to use CMD if so will i still need to login in before i can use CMD this is the problem i have now CMD requires a user password.

also maybe i could try the factory default reset i do have a external hdd for backup. but will we be able to access the business files on a new user even if the previous windows had a password  which we did not know?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

Download fatdog64. http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/Fatdog64-710.iso

It will boot from a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled. Burn the iso to disk or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. If FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB flash/external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB flash/external drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. 

If you have trouble getting the iso to download use Google's cache site here

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#9 maxonnxc

maxonnxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

man do i have the worst luck

fatdog64http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/Fatdog64-710.iso    Connection refused: distro.ibiblio.org:80

Edited by maxonnxc, 09 February 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

There is only one potential fly in the ointment, I hope your dad did not use the EFS.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

As Roland said if the partition is encrypted fatdog will not be able to retrieve the data. There was some trouble on the site but I was able to download the fatdog iso. I don't have the fastest connection but I will upload it to Dropbox and provide you a link. I will edit this post with the link after the upload finishes. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 February 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#12 maxonnxc

maxonnxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

My son come over and he knew the password. I want to thank you all for the help..

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

No problem, glad you were able to solve the problem. Thanks for the update.

#14 Mallues

Mallues

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:29 AM

My son come over and he knew the password. I want to thank you all for the help..

I suggest you make a password reset disk from control panel. It can come in handy when you forgot the password next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users