Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Galapoer.a

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SemiLiterate1

SemiLiterate1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:42 AM

Hello,

About 5 minutes after switching on my pc I get a warning from Norton saying I have the Galapoper trojan and that it has been removed. So far so good, but next time I switch on the same thing happens.

I have Norton antivirus & firewall, also Adaware & spybot. All are updated & run without detecting a problem.

I assume I have something in startup or registry that keeps reloading Galapoper ?? . I have Autoruns (as recommended) but don't know what I'm looking for ?

Can someone point me in the right direction please ?

Thanks

KK ( Semi- Literate pc user)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

Hey there SemiLiterate1, welcome to Bleeping Computer.
Sorry for the delay in the reply.

This malware is obviously being quite stubborn. I have a couple of things you can try to remove the problem. Firstly you might like to try a scan with Norton in safe mode. Antivirus tools will have a better rate of success for removing files in safe mode. This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer. You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode. Make sure you choose the option without networking support. Run a full system scan and let Norton try and delete the file; it may be that as the file cannot auto run in safe mode it can be successfully deleted.

If that doesn't work you may have to try an alternative scanner; it is possible that Norton is simply not able to remove the malware. My first pointer would be to update the program, but it looks as though you have done this already.

Please download, install, and update Ewido anti-spyware
Load Ewido and then click the Update tab at the top.
Under Manual Update click Start update.

After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")
Then click on the Scanner tab at the top.
Click the "Settings" tab and then change the recommended action to Quarantine.
Click Automatically generate report after every scan.
Click back to the "Scan" tab and then click on Complete System Scan.
This scan can take quite a while to run, so be prepared.
Ewido will list any infections found on the left hand side.

When the scan has finished, it will automatically set the recommended action.
Click the Apply all actions button.
Ewido will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.
Click on "Save Report", then "Save Report As".
This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again (like on the Desktop).
Close Ewido and reboot!!

Let me know if the error Norton alert popups again.
Also post the ewido log here if you can.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users