Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory or interface problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gaiusincognitus

gaiusincognitus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:44 AM

I have an Asus G74S laptop. It's been upgraded to 32GB RAM and the HDDs upgraded to 1 TB x2. It's running Windows 7 Ultimate. I bought it from a really techy dude, and then moved out of the country. There may be other upgrades I'm not aware of.

The laptop is having an issue where it will randomly close programs. Every time I try to load Serato, for example, it crashes to Desktop before the program is ever usable.

I have an HP laptop that is half as powerful, using the same OS, and has no problems with any of the same programs. As a DJ, I really want this to work, but it also does this to other programs. Really, it's like whatever program is pushing the computer too hard will just disappear like it was shut down in the task manager.

I put this in here because I know that the programs work well together with the OS and the hardware in general. I suspect that maybe there is some issue with the RAM from when it was upgraded.

Is it possible that upgrading the OS might solve this problem? I was thinking about switching to Windows 10 anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Can you post the exact mode of the Asus please, in my search I found only models G74SX-??

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 gaiusincognitus

gaiusincognitus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I can't seem to see anything more specific.

Attached File  Asus Label.jpg   155.92KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Asus System Properties.jpg   83.51KB   0 downloads

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

I can't seem to see anything more specific.

Check on the back of the machine or under the battery.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 gaiusincognitus

gaiusincognitus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

It as an ASUS G74SX-A1

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

The the Asus say the max memory is 16GB for a Quad Core processor (i7) and 8GB for the Dual Core processor (i5) that could be the source of your problem.

Use MemTest86 free http://www.memtest86.com/ to test the memory and see if the machine can complete the test without shutdown and without errors.

___
Rui

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

Appears to me that system with that CPU only supports max of 16GB RAM, as noted above...see http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/g74sx-%28quad-core%29 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users