Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ransomware fighter - Acronis Active Protection: your data is safe in the cloud

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:30 AM

Hi all!

Acronis now offers Acronis Active Protection, a new Anti-Ransomware protection layer functionality in Acronis True Image 2017, the award-winning backup and disk imaging program.

Acronis Active Protection is a new generation of data protection that provides:

• Real-time backup protection from ransomware for the Windows platform. There will be no time gap in restored versions of the files, so you do not have to lose any of your progress.
  • It’s future proof and can be enhanced even further when new threats emerge.
  • It’s completely transparent, user friendly, and works pretty much automatically.

As you can see, Acronis Active Protection adds an additional, and better, layer of data protection against today’s ransomware and future variants.

Source: http://www.acronis.com/en-us/resource-center/resource/ransomware-protection/

Can anyone please comment on this?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Ransomware fighter - Acronis Active Protection: your data is safe in the cloud

...At the heart of Acronis Active Protection lies a heuristic approach...Acronis Active Protection products check any suspicious processes against the whitelist and blacklist. At the same time when user blocks the potential ransomware it goes into the blacklist and this does not let this malicious program to start on next reboot...No process in the system except Acronis software can modify backup files, We have also implemented a robust self-defense mechanism that will eliminate any typical attack and not allow criminals to disrupt the work of the Acronis software or alter the content of backup files....Acronis Active Protection also monitors the Master Boot Record of the user’s Windows-based machine hard drive and will not allow any changes there for non-whitelisted legitimate utilities.

...Files stored in Acronis Cloud Storage are exceptionally safe from direct modification by malicious code, by using end-to-end strong encryption and restricting access to file modification activities only to signed and authorized Acronis agent software...With Acronis Active Protection paired with Acronis Cloud via an Acronis endpoint agent, original data can be recovered from local caches, local backups, or cloud backups.

How Acronis Active Protection works

Acronis Active Protection is an advanced ransomware protection technology. It actively protects all of the data on your computer – documents, data of all types, and your Acronis Backup Files....Acronis Active Protection constantly observes patterns in how data files are being changed on a computer. One set of behaviors may be typical and expected. Another set of behaviors may signal a suspect process taking hostile action against files. The Acronis approach looks at these actions and compares them to with malicious behavior patterns. This approach can be exceptionally powerful in identifying ransomware attacks, even from ransomware variants that are as-yet unreported...If ransomware begins to encrypt files, Acronis quickly detects and halts this process. Because Acronis is a backup solution, any data that was exposed and encrypted before the process was halted can be recovered from a variety of backup sources.

Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation Personal Backup Solution Offers Must Have Groundbreaking Anti-Ransomware and Blockchain-Based Capabilities

Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation solves the multi-billion dollar cyber-threat nightmare with real-time protection against ransomware attacks targeting data and delivers the industry's first blockchain-based certification and electronic signature technology...Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation is a new premium subscription for the award-winning Acronis True Image backup solution.

Acronis True Image 2017 Pricing

Standard 1-Time Purchase $49.99
Standard 1-Year Subscription $39.99
Premium 1-Year Subscription $79.99

That all sounds strongly effective for protection but it's pricey.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Yeah, personally I am somewhat reluctant to upgrade, even though they offer me as much as a $90 discount as a recent Acronis customer, i.e. my price is only $9.99. :mellow:

The reason is mostly that I already have Emsisoft Anti-Malware Pro, HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard and CryptoPrevent Free for multi-layered protection against ransomware. :thumbsup:

Additionally, I prefer to perform only local backups and disk imaging, so there is no need for cloud storage for me... :lol:

But others who only have an AV/AM program might find the offer (especially the discounted price) attractive, of course provided they already have ATI 2017, that is. :busy:

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 09 February 2017 - 10:08 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Not a problem. Those paying for and using a cloud service for backing up data may look at Acronis as an alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users