Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10- Desktop PC connected to Wifi and Ethernet, but getting Slow Speeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheMagicMan

TheMagicMan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:07 AM

Hello, this is my first Post, I have been dealing with this Problem for quite a while now, just before Christmas, I was met with this problem when I was trying to download an update for Rocket League on Steam but I notice I was only getting 10KB/s to 50KB/s when I should be getting around 300 to KB/s to 400KB/s in which I am getting from my Phone and my Laptop.

I had all sorts of Problems, Websites would not load, Rockstar Social Club would not load and I couldn't even test My Broadband Speed as the Website would not let me access it.

I had been using an Ethernet Cable to connect to the Internet until the problem Occurred, I then decided to buy a Wireless USB Adapter to see if that would work, the adapter Worked when I turned off the Windows Firewall, it worked up until Recently when it stopped working and I got slow speeds again.

I tried looking online for solutions, I tried "netsh Winsock reset" in CMD but that didn't change anything, I'm not sure if I have a Virus that is taking bandwidth, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hi TheMagicMan, and welcome!

Just to clarify, are you getting slow speeds on that computer regardless of whether you're connected wirelessly or over ethernet?
Try disabling your wi-fi connection and just using the wired connection - it might be trying to use the wireless connection if you have both active at the same time.

If you're getting slow speeds going to ordinary websites, then this suggests a problem outside of Steam / Rocket League.

This does not sound like the work of any kind of malicious software, but it's always worth updating your virus definitions and running a full scan just to be absolutely sure.

Please let us know how it goes!

Edited by Angoid, 09 February 2017 - 07:14 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 TheMagicMan

TheMagicMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Thanks Angoid, Yes Both My Ethernet and WiFi are getting the Same Speeds, I tried disabling the WiFi and just using the Ethernet but nothing changed,

I used Malwarebytes to do a Full Scan but no threats were detected!

#4 TheMagicMan

TheMagicMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

I tried using my Wifi with my Phone and my Router but there was no difference, My Laptop is getting 2.9 Mbps on Fast.com on WiFi while on My Desktop PC using the Router or WiFi I was getting 90 Kbps, Please Help Anyone! Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users