Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird file showed up on my data drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mylastsong18

mylastsong18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:39 AM

Hello there. I wanted to get some advice about a file. I just opened my D Drive that i store my data on and there was a weird folder with a bunch of characters. It worried me so i scanned it with Comodo, Malwarebytes and Zemana. Everything came back clean but i am still concerned. I check on VirusTotal and it is clean according to that but there is 5 down votes and 2 up votes. I'm just kind of worried that my system may be infected. I think it's fine but i wanted to ask. 

The file in question is called Install.exe located in a folder with the name 906e27ca3fafc4601a. I checked the details of the file and it is digitally signed by Microsoft but i don't understand how or why it got here. It does say Visual Studio 2008 so i am thinking it's safe and i'm just overreacting. I do have Visual Studio 2017 RC installed but how and why would this file randomly show up on a drive i never installed Visual Studio to. The other thing is its from 2009. I don't think Visual Studio 2017 would be installing a file that old. Maybe i'm wrong and just reading into it too much but i wanted some advice. 

I have scanned my system with Comodo and the other apps i mentioned. Everything is coming back clean but again i just wanted to get some advice. How can i verify this is a safe file without running it?

Windows 10 Home x64

Intel Core i5 6600k 

16GB DDR4

500GB Samsung SSD

2TB WD Drive

Edited by mylastsong18, 09 February 2017 - 02:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mylastsong18

mylastsong18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

Hello there. I wanted to get some advice about a file. I just opened my D Drive that i store my data on and there was a weird folder with a bunch of characters. It worried me so i scanned it with Comodo, Malwarebytes and Zemana. Everything came back clean but i am still concerned. I check on VirusTotal and it is clean according to that but there is 5 down votes and 2 up votes. I'm just kind of worried that my system may be infected. I think it's fine but i wanted to ask. 

The file in question is called Install.exe located in a folder with the name 906e27ca3fafc4601a. I checked the details of the file and it is digitally signed by Microsoft but i don't understand how or why it got here. It does say Visual Studio 2008 so i am thinking it's safe and i'm just overreacting. I do have Visual Studio 2017 RC installed but how and why would this file randomly show up on a drive i never installed Visual Studio to. The other thing is its from 2009. I don't think Visual Studio 2017 would be installing a file that old. Maybe i'm wrong and just reading into it too much but i wanted some advice. 

I have scanned my system with Comodo and the other apps i mentioned. Everything is coming back clean but again i just wanted to get some advice. How can i verify this is a safe file without running it?

Windows 10 Home x64

Intel Core i5 6600k 

16GB DDR4

500GB Samsung SSD

2TB WD Drive

Okay i think i overreacted. I was looking at the file details on VirusTotal and this is what it says

Copyright
© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Product Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2008
Original name Install.exe
Internal name Install.exe
File version 9.0.30729.4148 built by: QFE
Description External Installer
Signature verification  Signed file, verified signature
Signing date 11:53 AM 7/12/2009
Counter signers

I also decided to run the file with Comodo's Sandbox feature. Told me it couldn't find install.ini and setup would close. I think its a legit file from Microsoft i just don't get how it got onto my data drive. Sorry for posting without looking into it further

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users