Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop and Folder icons missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lost_Gnu

Lost_Gnu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:47 AM

Hello all! I am facing this problem for the second time in less than a month and it's getting to the point where I want to throw my laptop under a truck. 

When I booted up my system this morning, I noticed all my desktop icons were missing. It's just the icons. The labels are still there. I can click on the labels (they highlight) but when I run my mouse over where the icons are supposed to be, it's just empty space. There's no selection box or anything, as you can see in the images below. 

My taskbar icons have also been affected. With the exception of Edge, Calculator and Store, all the other icons have become 'blank'. They are all Windows icons, by the way (Notepad, Paint and File Explorer). 

The same occurs when I open a Folder. None of the icons show. Changing the view doesn't help (Tile view, Large Icons, Detail, List).

All the thumbnails have disappeared too.

I cannot access System Restore because it gives me a beeping message. And I have 4 restore points, the most recent being one from last week (Feb 1st).

As I mentioned above, this is the second time this has happened. The first time it happened, I tried different suggestions:

System Restore (can't even find my Restore Points)
Reboot (Nothing)
Virus Scan (Nothing. I have Kaspersky Internet Security and it has found nothing amiss)
Remove and reinstall my battery and RAM sticks. Duh.
Safe mode and blah blah blah. Nothing. 

I ran the Unhide app and it couldn't fix the problem. 

I posted this query on the Microsoft Community Site and no one could come up with any suggestions that worked. I have posted the link below for anyone interested in the full history and suggestions offered and tried. :

I finally had to do a Factory Reset which involved installing every bloody software all over again. Now it has happened again.

All my files are safe though, and I can edit them or work on them without any issues. Although the Preview pane (on the right) does not show the image of the file when I click on it.

I noticed a couple of things this time around, though. Firstly, this has happened almost exactly 28 days after the first time. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything. 

And secondly, this is a replacement motherboard with a brand new HD (the original motherboard fried and I had to order a new one and I have replaced the old HD cos it was showing signs of failure). My laptop is a HP pavilion dv7-6000 series. I got Windows 10 as an update to Win 7 and I saved it on a flash drive, which is what I used to install on the new HD.

I am pretty much at my wits end so if anyone can suggest a solution or why this is happening in the first place, I will be much grateful. Much much much.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

Suggest you disable Shell Extensions for troubleshooting purposes:

:step1: ShellExView by NirSoft (thanks to usasma!!!)

• Download and save ShellExView from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on shexview.exe and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Look at the menu above, click Options and check (click) Hide All Microsoft Extensions.
• Please disable all NON-Microsoft extensions. :exclame: DO NOT DISABLE ANY MICROSOFT EXTENSIONS!!!
• Restart your computer and check the results. If the issue is gone, start enabling a few until you can find the culprit.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Lost_Gnu

Lost_Gnu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

I have tried ShellExView earlier without any result, actually.

I contacted Microsoft Technical Support and one of the techies took Remote Access Control over my system and after an hour of trying EVERYTHING I had already tried, gave up and said "Your specific board has compatibility issues with Windows 10. Please download a fresh version of Windows 10 and reinstall. Do not use the Win10 update you have on the flash drive". 

So I downloaded a new setup file and reinstalled, keeping all my apps and files. Took about 2 hours but now everything is back to the way it was and I have saved the setup  on my flash drive, replacing the earlier one. Now, if it happens again, I know what I have to do. Minor pain in the butt however I prefer this to reinstalling everything after a factory reset. System Restore was cleared out so I had to set up a new Restore Point. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Grateful to all who read and mentally scratched their heads / stroked their chins / looked into space thinking. 

Edited by Lost_Gnu, 11 February 2017 - 11:57 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

My apologies. In my experience, Windows 10 is full of uncanny bugs like that. I suggest you post over at the Windows 10 forums, to see whether if anyone else has further ideas.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users