Jump to content
Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:47 AM
Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:38 PM
Suggest you disable Shell Extensions for troubleshooting purposes:
ShellExView by NirSoft (thanks to usasma!!!)
• Download and save ShellExView from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on shexview.exe and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Look at the menu above, click Options and check (click) Hide All Microsoft Extensions.
• Please disable all NON-Microsoft extensions. DO NOT DISABLE ANY MICROSOFT EXTENSIONS!!!
• Restart your computer and check the results. If the issue is gone, start enabling a few until you can find the culprit.
Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:47 PM
I have tried ShellExView earlier without any result, actually.
I contacted Microsoft Technical Support and one of the techies took Remote Access Control over my system and after an hour of trying EVERYTHING I had already tried, gave up and said "Your specific board has compatibility issues with Windows 10. Please download a fresh version of Windows 10 and reinstall. Do not use the Win10 update you have on the flash drive".
So I downloaded a new setup file and reinstalled, keeping all my apps and files. Took about 2 hours but now everything is back to the way it was and I have saved the setup on my flash drive, replacing the earlier one. Now, if it happens again, I know what I have to do. Minor pain in the butt however I prefer this to reinstalling everything after a factory reset. System Restore was cleared out so I had to set up a new Restore Point.
Thanks for the suggestion! Grateful to all who read and mentally scratched their heads / stroked their chins / looked into space thinking.
Edited by Lost_Gnu, 11 February 2017 - 11:57 PM.
Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:05 PM
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users