Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Delete System Restore Backups

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Amadeus16

Amadeus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

thank you very much again dc!

i finished the System File Checker Scan, and it told me that Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\
Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

C:\Windows\system32>

here is the CBS log

Attached File  sfcdetails.txt   47.83KB   1 downloads

thanks again for all the help dc, i really appreciate it all, and i am very grateful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 27,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Since no integrity violations were found you didn't even need to post the log.

What issues are you having now?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

On April 26, 2017 I will have surgery on my right shoulder.  This is going to result in a decrease in my ability to post here.

#18 Amadeus16

Amadeus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

haha, i just wanted to make sure i got all the instructions good

well i deleted the "Storage Volume Shadow Copies" and "Generic Volume Shadow Copies" and all the entries. the "Storage Volume Shadow Copies" heading was no longer visible, but when i went to "Action" and then "Scan for hardware changes" the "Storage Volume Shadow Copies"  heading kept coming back and left one entry inside of it. I deleted it right before i rebooted and then enable System Restore and create a New System Restore point only to find that it still showed an entry of "Storage Volume Shadow Copies". and unfortunately i still have the same problem from the video of myself i recorded: https://sendvid.com/8allwki2

i was wondering would this same process work if i deleted all or some of "Storage Volume" "Generic Volume" entries?

or are the entires inside "Storage Volume" & "Generic Volume" important? and should not be deleted?

also i think my System Restore is missing from my registry, after i went to "RegEdit", i couldnt find the "srservice" folder... so maybe that might be one of the problems with my system restore? is there a way to fix the missing system restore from my registry? also the system restore service is missing in my services and in my system configuration?

#19 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

@Amadeus16

You will Not find references to System Restore, SR Services, or SR in System Configuration (msconfig Services Tab) in Services or as SR in the Windows Registry.

Other than following Control Panel > System > System Properties > System Protection > Configure ...
You can find references to System Restore in Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > SystemRestore...
or
Windows Registry > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WindowsNT > CurrentVersion > SystemRestore...

Use EXTREME Caution when working inside the Windows Registry.

Unless you know for sure what you are changing... Don't Change Anything.

If you choose to ignore this warning, (I Would, But That's Just Me) Folow Steps 01. - 03 . to make a Backup of the Windows Registry.

01. Open Windows Charms Bar WIN KEY + Q, In the Search Bar enter "regedit" (without quotes) and press Enter
02. When Registry Editor opens, go to File, and select Export.
03. The computer asks you for the path where you want to save the backup registry file. To make the file easy to locate should you need it Choose the Desktop and Name the file "Registry_Backup" (without quotes) click on Save button. Now you have a backup of the registry before exploration.

The SystemRestore Key contains two Sub Keys... cfg and Setup

Be careful making any changes in any of these locations!

Just out of curiosity, if I might ask, "What are you trying to accomplish by deleting Restore Points?"

Old Rocker

#20 Amadeus16

Amadeus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:50 AM

thanks old rocker, i really appreciate the help, and am very grateful!

i am trying to delete the system restore points because im still having the problem from the previous video i posted: https://sendvid.com/8allwki2

system restore eventually kept making the data grow to the point where it was using 6-7 gigabytes of memory, and im not able to recover any system restore points of those 6-7 gigabytes, and i am also not able to delete those 6-7 gigabytes of memory...so its kind of just using up my space.

right now i am trying to Reinstall System Restore but its asking me for the files SR.INF file; SR.SYS file; SRSVC.DLL file; FILELIST.XML file; and SRFRAME.MMF file; i know that those files are in the original windows 8 disk or something like that, but i cant find them and i was wondering if you could please help me in trying to Reinstall System Restore?

thanks again for all the help, i really appreciate it, and i am very grateful!

#21 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 27,949 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Do a refresh.  This will restore your factory default settings.

Windows 8.1 Refresh

You need to be aware that a refresh will remove all third party programs, but will not effect your data.

1. Open the Settings charm, tap/click on Change PC Settings.

2. Tap/click on Update and recovery, then tap/click on Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap/click on Get started.

Follow the instructions as they appear.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

On April 26, 2017 I will have surgery on my right shoulder.  This is going to result in a decrease in my ability to post here.

#22 Amadeus16

Amadeus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

thanks dc,

but i have quite a lot of third party programs that would take a long time to install again, so thats why i thought it would be easier to just reinstall System Restore instead of doing a refresh, is there a different way of Repairing System Restore without affecting any of my programs?

i am pretty close to Reinstalling System Restore but its asking me for the files SR.INF file; SR.SYS file; SRSVC.DLL file; FILELIST.XML file; and SRFRAME.MMF file; i know that those files are in the original windows 8 recovery disk i think, but i cant find them and i was wondering if you could please help me in trying to Reinstall System Restore?

thanks again for all the help, i really appreciate it, and i am very grateful!

Edited by Amadeus16, 17 February 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#23 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 27,949 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

The refresh is the quickest and easiest way to repair the system restore.  You need to replace those files.  It's that or just reinstall the operating system.

#24 Amadeus16

Amadeus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

i cant refresh the pc because every time i try to refresh it, it will ask me for Windows 8 Original Disk or USB which i do not have.

#25 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 27,949 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

#26 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

@@Amadeus16

For a complete guide to a non-destructive repair of your operating system, including instructions for making the installation media DC3 referred you to in post 25 please visit the link below.
https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html How to reinstall Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 without losing any data, installed programs or settings!

Read this guide completely before you begin. IMO this is the most complete guide to repairing a Windows Installations without losing anything.

Of course it never hurts to have made a backup of your data on a regular basis or Before You Perform The Non-Destructive Repair!

Old Rocker

#27 Amadeus16

Amadeus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:54 AM

thanks for the help.

i restarted my computer and unfortunately i got stuck in an automatic repair loop...so then i had to do the refresh but wasnt able to make a copy on a usb so copy all my data. and unfortunately all my data got deleted and i had to reinstall all my programs again, but i think i reinstalled all of them haha,

i have a few questions and was wondering if you guys could please help me out;

1. how do i fix automatic repair loop?

2. i couldnt log into my admin account, which is weird because i am the owner of my computer and the only one who gets on it. how do i put myself as admin?
i tried these instructions i found;

Go to "This PC"

Right click on the drive you want to access

Select "Properties"

Click on the "Security" tab

Click "Advanced." This will open a new window

At the top, where it lists the current owner, click "Change." A dialog box will appear

In the text field labeled "Enter the object name to select," type in your username. So if my username on that account I am currently on was named "John," than I would simply type "John" into the text field.

Now click on "Check Names"

Click OK

On the bottom of the current dialog box, there is a check box with the text "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable entries from this object." This needs to be checked.

Click OK

Click OK again

but i kept getting "error applying security" and "access denied" when i tried to change my admin permissions? how can i fix this?

3. and unfortunately my System Restore still isnt working after i completed the refresh...is there a way for me to reinstall it somehow?

thanks again dc & old rocker, i really appreciate the help, and am very grateful!

#28 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 27,949 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

Try doing a Refresh.

Windows 8.1 Refresh

You need to be aware that a refresh will remove all third party programs, but will not effect your data.

1. Open the Settings charm, tap/click on Change PC Settings.

2. Tap/click on Update and recovery, then tap/click on Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap/click on Get started.

Follow the instructions as they appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users