Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS B150M-A/M.2 BIOS resetting to CPU Graphics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 helplessdude

helplessdude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hello everyone. New poster here.

I recently put a new motherboard, processor, RAM and SSD into my older rig, so while I kept a few parts (GPU, PSU, case and peripherals) I was effectively starting a new computer from scratch. It took me a while to get everything operating - I'm not very experienced - but every new part is totally functional in its own right. However, the GPU, a Zotac GTX960 that I purchased a few months ago and was working just fine up until I got my new parts.

Every time I go into the BIOS and set the graphics to load via PCIE it just switches to CPU graphics on every reset, maintaining all other changes to BIOS settings. When using the onboard graphics I can see the Nvidia card in system devices, and GeForce experience was able to detect the card and install drivers, so I feel like its definitely connected, but again, not an expert.

Trying to get all this to work has been driving me crazy for the last few days so I would really appreciate it if someone knows how to get around this weird BIOS thing. I have updated and reupdated everything, going so far as to reinstall windows.

mobo: ASUS B150M-A/M.2 DDR4
CPU: Intel Core i3 6100, 3.7 GHz
RAM: 2x GSKILL RIPJAWS 4GB DDR4
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 960 4GB
PSU: Corsair TX850

Windows 10 64bit running on Kingston 120GB SSD

Sorry If my formatting or terminology is bad, this is my first time actually asking a question instead of just lurking. Also sorry if this is the wrong place to post this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

FWIW.

Louis

#3 helplessdude

helplessdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for the link, and sorry for the late reply. I have been experiencing some internet trouble.

FWIW.

Louis

I tried the applicable suggestion from that thread, removing ALL display drivers and then trying again from the beginning but I still had the weird BIOS reset thing happening.

I concluded via the suggestion of a Canada Computers employee that the issue was in the motherboard, so I returned the B150 and got a B250 instead, hoping things would work differently and after a fresh windows install and all the updates/etc. I'm still getting the same BIOS issue.

In my experience a fresh build can be set up with display via the graphics card with no need for drivers or install discs or anything. This is very confusing.

(The other suggestion doesn't apply because I'm looking at my GTX960 in the device manager right now...)

:smash:

Edited by helplessdude, 11 February 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

When the BIOS refuses to hold any settings, there are usually two causes.  The first is the CMOS battery that holds the BIOS settings has failed or the associated circuitry.  The second would be an interrupt getting set  by software after the POST and BIOS start.  Check within the display control panel to see if an alternate interrupt setting is available.  I have run across the interrupt when dealing with an ATI card in an INTEL MOBO.  CMOS battery would be my first choice.

#5 helplessdude

helplessdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

Thanks mjd.

When the BIOS refuses to hold any settings, there are usually two causes.  The first is the CMOS battery that holds the BIOS settings has failed or the associated circuitry.  The second would be an interrupt getting set  by software after the POST and BIOS start.  Check within the display control panel to see if an alternate interrupt setting is available.  I have run across the interrupt when dealing with an ATI card in an INTEL MOBO.  CMOS battery would be my first choice.

My other BIOS settings are holding fine, so I don't think it's the CMOS.

In terms of display settings, Windows 10 appears to just offer resolution/colour/text size changes and the option to look at display device settings which I've already been staring blankly at through the device manager. One thing I noticed is that the Intel display device that it jumped to was showing 4GB on top of its 128MB available video memory, which I assume is from the Nvidia card. Don't know if that info is of any significance.

Nothing else really stood out though, certaintly not in terms of software altering my display settings. This is a fresh install of windows so I have nothing else that might be getting in the way, in terms of third party stuff at least. Not familiar with Windows 10.

--EDIT--

I kept looking and there is PCI interrupt support for the Intel on-board graphics device. It says it's set to "00000003" (just 3?).

Edited by helplessdude, 11 February 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

Interrupt  three sounds right, but the clue now appears to be how the video card is dealing with the 4 GB onboard memory and the 128 MB on the card.  If you have no parallel port gear, it would be safe to set it to eleven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users