Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible HDD Failure?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

I created a post on here a while back stating my HDD had 100% usage practically all of the time (unless i was in safe mode) and i ended up reinstalling Windows 10 in a clean install to see if my problem would go away, but i was wrong and it still kept on happening even after the clean install. I proceeded to stop malwarebytes from running at the start of windows as i heard that causes high disk usage and i believe that is the case, because i checked on my laptop a few days ago while malwarebytes was running and it said 100% again so i've closed it forever now.

But on my PC i got rid of spotify also and i thought the problem had gone, but upon reinstalling windows everything crashed and i had to restart via the power button. So it restarted twice and gave me a blue screen error after it got past the Lenovo loading screen, which lead to the PC trying automatic repair, which then lead to a disk check. After all of that finished the PC restarted and i was greeted with a black screen. Can failed hard disk drives do this? as i've had 3 computers and one laptop and i have never had a hard drive fail on me, but the monitor works fine as it worked with my PS4 and i do not believe my graphics card is broken either as it's showed no signs that it was going to fail. If it is a new HD i'll need, i won't be installing spotify or malwarebytes on it again lol.

Thanks in advance if you have any idea what the issue could be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

You can check your hard drive with UBCD. On the program is Parted Magic which has Disk Health on the Desktop. It also has a memory test called memtest+86.

At the UBCD menu select Parted Magic and at it's desktop click DiskHealth. Run the short and long tests. Let the memory test run overnight.

If the computer came preinstalled with Windows 8 or 10 SecureBoot needs to be disabled in UEFI settings. It may also be necessary to enable Legacy Boot.

You an burn the iso to a CD or create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus. Any data on the flash drive needs to be backed up first. The computer may have a boot menu available where you can select your boot device. 

#3 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:18 AM

When i boot my PC up, the screen is just black and my monitor will say "check signal cable" and in the top left it will flash analogue and HDMI, but the HDD light isn't flashing or anything. It's basically dim and doesn't show any signs it's doing anything. The monitor is working as i said, but i am convinced the HDD has gone due to all the grief it has been giving me over the past few weeks. I may need to buy an adapter so i can check it via my laptop to see if it's even working anymore.

Edited by Miguel_92, 09 February 2017 - 12:20 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

When i boot my PC up, the screen is just black and my monitor will say "check signal cable" and in the top left it will flash analogue and HDMI, 

That is not a hard drive problem. Even without a hard drive you should still be able to see your boot screen and access your UEFI/BIOS settings. Also the UBCD does not use the hard drive as it runs off the CD/DVD and RAM. 

I believe your problem is either the graphics card or the motherboard.

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:31 AM

I recall having a broken motherboard a long time ago and the computer didn't even power on, but i do not believe the graphics card has failed either as it showed no signs at all that it was going to break. Do graphics cards usually show signs they are breaking down? As i've never had to deal with a broken one before. Also, i still believe my HDD may well be broken, as it's been getting such a high disk usage of late it's beyond words. Does anyone else here have an opinon? And thanks for replying.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

The first thing I would do is remove the drive and attach it to another comptuer, either internally, using a USB adapter, or enclosure. Run Seatools for Windows on the attached drive and do the short/long tests.

Yes, a graphics card can fail with out a problem. It could also be a problem with the PSU. If you have a multimeter then check your PSU voltages. Ground yourself on some bare metal of the computer case before doing any tests. See this video. 

#7 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

I managed to take apart my previous computer and i salvaged the HDD from that. The screen is still black etc with no activity on the HDD, so i do believe the motherboard or power supply have failed. But, upon plugging in the HDD from my new computer, i also believe that might well be broken as well because when it loads up on my old PC it will show the HP startup screen and some form of solid dash is in the top left corner of a black background. Has anyone ever seen that before? Thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

If both computers do not have identical hardware then the drivers on the hard drive would not detect the correct hardware and you would get what you describe. 

If the computer can boot the UBCD disk I previously linked to the only way to properly check your hard drives is to use a USB adapter or enclosure on a booting computer and test them with diagnostic software such as Seatools for Windows or WD Data Lifeguard depending on your drives manufacturer.  Gsmartcontrol can also be used.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#9 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

I believe the motherboard is the problem now 100%. I finally managed to install Windows 7 as a test to the HDD that i thought was causing the problem and it installed with no issues at all. Also, if i was the graphics card i'd get a picture via my motherboard when i used the VGA slot and i get nothing lol. How much is a motherboard for a modern machine? As i own the Lenovo H50-55, which has an AMD 10 chipset with 12GB of ram. W8P F A78 MB, is the official name of the motherboard that comes with the Lenovo H50-55 supposedly, but i have no idea if the ones on the Google shopping tab are the correct ones for my machine lol. Nothing has been upgraded in the machine and it's got all the factory parts in it.

Attached Files

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

From your image your graphics is part of the CPU. It could also be your CPU. If that is the case even a new motherboard would not help. Personally, I would recommend to take the computer to a good shop if it is not under warranty. Have you tried booting the UBCD on the computer. It runs off RAM and the CD.

You could also try only one stick of RAM if you have more than one installed and switch RAM slots if the computer does not boot normally. Then switch RAM sticks and do the same thing.

#11 oscarthegrouch

oscarthegrouch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

I hate to ask the obvious, but have you tried a new cable to the video out put.  I once isolated a video out put by switching my HDMI cable with a VGA cable and found my on-board video card was bad and had to add a video card to get the performance I wanted.  Just a thought 

#12 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

Yep, i tried a different HDMI cable and a brand new samsung VGA lead too and nothing came to fruition. A family member took it to a PC repair shop yesterday and apparently the computer i have possesses a ludicrous power supply that he couldn't test and he said it was "16" and i do not have any clue what he meant. He also said new power supplies have 20-24, but i'll have to call the shop in question today and ask what he is talking about, because my PC is only from 2015 so it's practically brand new and he said i'd need to find a machine like mine to test the power supply/motherboard properly. If i can't then i might just need to buy a new power supply/motherboard because he thinks one of them is at fault. Luckily i didn't have to pay anything towards it and i hope he can shed some light on it today.

Edited by Miguel_92, 28 February 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

The only reference I know of regarding 20 and 24 is the main power connector to the motherboard having either 20 or 24 pins. He may be referring to the fact you have a non-standard PSU with a 16 pin main power connector.

dellpower_16p_cableconn.jpg

#14 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

The only reference I know of regarding 20 and 24 is the main power connector to the motherboard having either 20 or 24 pins. He may be referring to the fact you have a non-standard PSU with a 16 pin main power connector.

dellpower_16p_cableconn.jpg

Yep, i think that's what he was talking about. He also claimed the Lenovo parts for my machine are really hard to get without ordering them from Lenovo themselves so i'd be better looking for another machine. I actually like my computer but i can't believe it has broken in such a rapid period of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users