Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista hangs when trying to download Service Packs, etc. via Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FlimFlam69

FlimFlam69

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:48 AM

I haven't been able to successfully download any updates on Vista in a long time.  Every time I try to download something via Windows Update (there are like 99 things I need to download) Vista just hangs.

Need help please...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

Hi FlimFlam:

Unless you've recently reinstalled Vista or restored your computer to an earlier date you should have the latest service pack (SP2).  If you aren't sure if you have SP2 installed click the Start button, choose Run..., and enter the command "winver" (without the quotes) .  If you have the latest service pack the pop-up should show that Service Pack 2 is installed.

Attached File  Vista SP2 winver.png   15.06KB   0 downloads

Please note that most Vista SP2 users are currently having difficulties running Windows Update, and affected users experience "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates that can run for several hours (or even days) - see KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates".

Please see the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum for a possible workaround if SP2 is installed.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v51.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.68 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 08 February 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#3 FlimFlam69

FlimFlam69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Yes I have SP2 but there are security updates that are not installing.  I'll check the links you provided...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users