Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Explorer 'not responding'

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:49 AM

Ever since receiving the anniversary update to windows 10 i have experienced this intermittent problem. Not every time but on occasion when i want to make changes to user folders in file explorer it stops working and the window becomes 'not responding'. This usualy happens on renaming new folders but has occured with other file explorer operations. The problem does clear itself, either by waiting several minutes or by forcing the window (and file explorer) to close. The second 'fix' closes all open windows (not software) and loses any recent changes to folder/file names etc. Not ideal.

This is  becoming a nuisance, so i was wondering what was causing it and how it can be fixed. 

The PC in question is a Packard Bell imedia desktop running W10 Home 64bit (1607 build). fully updated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 msrmoshe

msrmoshe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

I would suggest running system file checker.

For more info see link below-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

Thanks

Have run sfc. It found nothing wrong. Received the following message:

"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

So what now?

#4 msrmoshe

msrmoshe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

I don't know for sure, but usually when I get this issue it means there is a problem with the disk drive or driver of it. Basically the way I understand it, when file explorer gets or sets information from the drive it does that processing on the same thread as the UI (user interface), therefore if it takes a long time to access the disk (either because of driver issues or physical disk issues) file explorer will become non-responsive (as it can't take any UI messages until it finishes getting or setting the data).

As I see it, it probably is some type of driver issue for the disk drive and you should try to re-install the driver. I do not know how to do it though if it is your primary hdd, you should probably google the exact device model to get more info. I guess it could be a physical issue also so don't completely rule that out, and you should probably make a backup of it.

Hope this helps!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

Since the possibility of a hard drive problem has been raised by msrmoshe you should definitely back up all your data to external storage, if you don't have this done on a regular basis anyway. Your own data - work, documents, music, photos etc. -  is the only important stuff inside a computer. Everything else can be readily replaced.

Back up your data !

Then go to the Seagate website and download 'SeaTools for Windows', you will find it here -

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

You can also download the 'SeaTools for Windows guide' from the same page. The file for the tools downloads as an ISO file which will need to be burnt to a DVD and I believe you can also run it from a memory stick. The main tests on the disc are the 'Long' and the 'Short'. You can save some time by running the short test first. If it passes that the disc is almost certainly good, if it comes up with any question marks run the long test. If it passes that your disc is good and you will have to look elsewhere for the cause of your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:29 AM

Thanks. Bit worrying if its the HDD. Wouldnt be a problem with the OS then? would it be worth reinstalling it/refreshing it? Will certainly do a backup. Been a bit lax on that front lately!

#7 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

Didnt download as an ISO file. Downloaded and installed direct to the PC. Cant see how to run it as an executable file from an external device or disc.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

Are you having problem installing any programs as well if not just install the SeaTools for Windows and use it from Windows OS.

If you want to boot your computer with SeaTools then you need to download SeaTools for DOS .ISO image.

"SeaTools for DOS tutorial"

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en?language=en_US&key=ka030000000tmoMAAQ&kb=n&wwwlocale=tr-tr

Posted Image

#9 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:41 AM

Downloaded and installed Seatools to the hard drive. Ran scans in turn starting with the quickest and finishing with the 'long fix' scan. Nothing seemed to come to light, although the fix scans might have done some good. Havent experinced the original problem yet. if it reoccurs i will come back to this topic and investigate other options. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users