Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome sign in page.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nothing2NoOne

Nothing2NoOne

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

Hello, a couple weeks ago my homepage in google chrome got changed somehow. I put it back to normal but ever since then when i open up google chrome it opens a tab to sign into google. My browser is already signed into my google account and i'm signed in the webpage part also that lets you access gmail. I've just ignored it hoping it would go away eventually but it hasn't. The sign in page isn't secure either. Any help on this would be great. 

Thanks for you time.

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.02.07_22h00m03s_002_C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

You are definitely not logged into Chrome on the screenshot you posted.  The icon that looks like a very stylized human head and shoulders next to the primary window controls at the upper right should read as something, anything, but typically it's the first name you have assigned to the Google account that you've used to sign into chrome.

If you click on that icon as it's presented I'm sure you'll get a log in dropdown, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Nothing2NoOne

Nothing2NoOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

I understand im not signed in on that tab. What im saying is that tab opens up everytime i launch chrome but I am signed in on every google service i visit. Here is a side by side on the left is what opens when i launch chrome.  The right tab is pressing the new tab button and i'm already signed in. The chrome sign in page even opens up if i install something that opens a webpage or if I open a shortcut to a webpage. Also my settings for when i start chrome is google.com. The stylized human isn't in the top corner. I believe it's some sort of fake page trying to get my info. Is that poss?

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.02.08_16h56m13s_004__

Edited by Nothing2NoOne, 08 February 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

No, it isn't.

You fail to make the differentiation between being signed in to Google Services, which you are, and being signed into Google Chrome, which you are not.

The two are not and never have been the same.  You are simply not signed in to Chrome and you actually don't have to be, but you won't have any of the sync features of Chrome unless you are.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Nothing2NoOne

Nothing2NoOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

So thats normal for that tab to show up all the time then? Also I know the difference. One is for gmail,drive, etc. The other is for bookmarks, settings, and browser related stuff for access across mutiple platforms. I'm signed into both if your referring to the sign in found in browser settings.

Edited by Nothing2NoOne, 09 February 2017 - 02:46 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

This will be my last post on this.

Yes, this is entirely normal when you are not signed in to Chrome.   You are not signed in to Chrome on any of the screen shots you've posted.  If you are actually shown as signed in when you go to Chrome Settings then something is corrupt with your Chrome installation because that "little human" figure at the upper right near the minimize/restore-maximize/close button trio is typically replaced with the first name (or whatever you have in that position in the gmail account you're using, if that were "Ichabod Crane"  then "Ichabod" should be showing).  If you click on the "little human" the first thing that should show up in the pop-up menu is the actual gmail address that's being used for Chrome login and sync.  If it's not there you're not logged in, if it is there I would click on it and see what comes up in the chrome://settings/manageProfile tab that appears with the "Edit" dialog showing up as the initial overlay.  It makes sense to add a name, even if it's a junk pseudonym, so that it is absolutely clear both to yourself or anyone viewing a screen shot that you are logged in to Chrome.  I guess it's possible if the e-mail address has no name assigned to it that the little human might still appear, but that would be confusing to anyone who saw it because it's virtually never what shows up there when one is actually logged in.

There used to be a way to stop this "Login to Chrome" screen being opened on every new tab via a checkbox on the screen itself.  That's now gone.

It will not pop up all the time were you actually signed in to Chrome.  It is not necessary to be signed in to Chrome.  There's likely something out there on the web somewhere about how to get this behavior to stop.  I did some quick searching but the results are predominated with discussion of the now-removed checkbox and since I do log in to Chrome and stay logged in "perpetually" I never get this screen anymore.

Edited by britechguy, 09 February 2017 - 12:50 PM.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users