Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

red screen of death, occasional BSODs

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 markab

markab

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

I honestly don't know where to post this because my computer is a mess but considering how dramatic this latest disaster was I think it goes here.

I have a laptop. It's about two and a half years old. For the last year or so it's been acting up a bit I guess -- the occasional BSOD in a variety of stop code flavors, sometimes the network adapter autodisables itself, sometimes the USB ports stop working, sometimes it just won't shut down and I have to turn it off by holding the power button.

Lately it's been causing me a little more concern. Over the weekend I was having the most trouble with it -- it continually refused to completely power down and the USB ports would stop working. That makes me kind of suspicious about the motherboard; it's already had the mobo replaced once but none of the symptoms of failure then were consistent with my current ones. Two weeks ago it gave me what appeared to be a graphics card-related BSOD after exiting out of a video game and trying to play a youtube video before the application had completely closed.

Then there was the incident about 30 minutes ago, in which I was playing a video game (ESO if it matters). I was in an area with a lot to load, admittedly, playing with menus, and in the middle of moving an item the game froze, my headphones started playing this weird hum, and the screen went completely red. I didn't wait to see if it would fix itself, I just turned it off using the power button immediately and on reboot everything seems functional but that's par for the course with this thing.

I was planning to get it checked out in March because of all the 'quirks' it has but with this latest thing I am quite worried. Also concerned about overheat -- Speccy is showing a ridiculous temperature of 107C on my CPU (which is apparently rated up to 105C), fine everywhere else, but Core Temp shows max 70C so I think it's okay?

Running Windows 10 updated from 8, x64

System is ~2 1/2 years old

OEM

OS has never been reinstalled 

Laptop is a MSI GX70

AMD A10-5750M APU with AMD R9 M290X

Sysnative file attached, however the .zip file was never completed as it hung repeating 'waiting for tasks to complete' or something similar so I zipped it myself.

EDIT: forgot perfmon when I posted, but as it turns out I can't seem to run it anyways as it times out.

Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by markab, 08 February 2017 - 12:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

:welcome: to BleepingComputer!

It appears to be that we are dealing with a variety of issues here. Please start by reinstalling your Killer Networking drivers. When you have finished, please see this article to disable some Killer Networking related items.

Next, uninstall those MSI utilities from the Control Panel, especially if you don't need them. I've seen some issues with them before.

Finally, please reinstall your graphics drivers, as they are a year old. DO NOT download them from ATI's website, but rather from MSI's website. Some of the latest drivers from ATI may be incompatible with your system even though they are offered.

If you are still having issues, then run ALL these hardware diagnostics, starting with the video stress tests.

Good luck!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

Hi and thanks for the response!

I will begin working on at least the removal of MSI utilities. However, I tried to reinstall the graphics drivers today. I spent about an hour hunting down the correct driver for my exact model (I'm aware my APU breaks a lot of others), and was directed to Crimson 16.2.1. I've had Windows Update try to update my drivers apropos of nothing (still wrestling to get it to stop) and this is the one that I've been using to reinstall but since I hadn't done a clean reinstall I tried one. Thankfully I made a system restore point before I did so.

I uninstalled the driver from the change & add programs, then ran DDU in safe mode, rebooted and installed the driver. It told me the install was successful. However, games lagged very badly and upon trying to open AMD Radeon settings it told me the driver wasn't installed. I repeated the clean install process twice and both times came up the same. I will note that I had to disable the install of the AMD Gaming Evolved it offers to install because the install would always fail with it selected.

Also, is http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/item/e2500-64bit what to use to reinstall the Killer Networking drivers? Just want to make sure.

Thanks!

EDIT: additionally, this computer is going in on Friday to have the dust cleaned out and mobo/cpu checked out.

Edited by markab, 08 February 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

Thanks. Just for your information, our forum has been overflowing with video driver issues. :(

The download link for the Killer Network adapter is incorrect. Your model is an E2200. Here's the correct link.

As for the graphics drivers... is it possible you remove all AMD components from the Control Panel, then run DDU? You should be downloading your graphics drivers from the following link:

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/support/GX70-Destroyer.html#down-driver

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

Ok. I'm about to install Killer Network adapters.

Graphics driver-wise that's just what I did. I wasn't downloading from MSI, but from the AMD website. I assume it would be the VGA driver I need to install from here but I'm a little wary about doing so since the site doesn't show a Win10 option, just a Windows 8.1 one.

EDIT: adapters installed. Booting up seemed a little nicer afterwards -- most of the time it will show the icon you get if the network adapter is disabled on the login screen but this time it didn't. Don't know if that means much, but one of my laptop's little problems has been connecting to wi-fi (occasionally if I connect too quickly after it boots up the connection gets stuck or something and I have to reboot several times before I can connect again). 

Edited by markab, 08 February 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Any updates? :)

#7 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

Hi,

Nothing else as of yet. Exams today so I didn't have much time to fiddle but I did back everything up at least since I'm taking it in tomorrow. I will post back when I have gotten the laptop back & cleaned and can maybe find some CDs to run the hardware tests.

Thank you!

Edited by markab, 09 February 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

No problem. Take your time. :)

#9 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:04 AM

Hello!

Just got the computer back. I meant to just ask to clean out the dust but I figured I'd ask about the problems and so everything has been cleaned and checked for hardware warnings/failures and OS problems and nobody found anything. They did say that the drivers are probably just going to be weird because this computer has no Win10 driver support and they would probably crash occasionally & the like which I am fine with. If there are no hardware problems they could find though I think I am set?

Thank you for the assistance! :)

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

If you aren't experiencing any further BSODs/hangs, then you should be good to go. :thumbup2: Feel free to come back if you run into more problems. :)

#11 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

Okay I guess I need to bring this back up, because right after booting my laptop today I left my desk to grab something, came back and my laptop promptly restarted itself which it's never done before. Event Viewer shows a kernel power event 41 error. Checked WhoCrashed but it had no info.

starting to think maybe just buying a new computer is the ideal solution at this point because this thing absolutely refuses to behave. Any suggestion as to what could be going wrong this time? I know my BIOS and drivers were updated when it went in to the repair place but I don't know specifically what other tests were run.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Sorry to hear that. :(

If you would like to continue our troubleshooting process, please run the Sysnative File Collection App again. It includes the dump files, so we can manually inspect them. Also, please run Autoruns:

• Download and save Autoruns from here.
• Right-click on Autoruns64.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Wait for a minute or so, then go to File, Save..., and save the file to your Desktop. Use the default name and ensure that the file extension while saving is .arn.
• Zip and attach the .arn file in your next post.

#13 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thank you, here they are.

Had to just cancel Sysnative again after it hung 'waiting for tasks to finish' so I zipped it myself. Autoruns stopped responding after I went to save and I waited ~5 minutes before closing with task manager but it produced the .arn file anyways.

Attached Files

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

The Autoruns file is corrupt, but there's still usable information from the MSInfo32 report. Please:

•Right-click on Autoruns64.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Go to Options, and check Hide Empty Locations and Hide Microsoft Entries.
• Wait for a minute or so, then go to the Logon tab. Uncheck Killer Network Manager.Ink. It's under the

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

area. You'll have to scroll down. :wink:
• Next, go to the Services tab, and uncheck Killer Service v2, if it is listed.
• Restart your computer. If your internet connection is broken, undo the steps we did above, and reboot.

I'm not sure whether if Autoruns will crash again, but time will tell...

BTW, please remove ALL MSI utilites. They're still present in the MSInfo32 report.

Edited by bwv848, 20 February 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#15 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hi,

I successfully unchecked both entries and logged back onto the computer. It's reverted back to briefly showing the the wi-fi icon as disabled on the login screen but I have no problem with that since it only lasts a second or two and I am able to connect to the internet with no problems.

As to MSI utilities -- I cannot find any ones remaining in my change & remove programs list. I was certain I'd removed all of them last time. Can you tell me which ones are still installed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users