Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't load

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LKnudson

LKnudson

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

This is my daughter's computer. It came with Windows 7, but when they were offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 - she upgraded. Sometime over the weekend there was an update, and now Windows 10 won't load. She gets a automatic repair screen I believe it is called, and can't get out of it, so doing a bit of research it seems to be stuck there. I can get to a spot that will give me a command prompt. One thing I've noticed is that she doesn't seem to have a c drive, but a d drive. Now, being a very young adult, she of course didn't make any kind of restore point or anything so I have nothing to use to try to fix this. My thought is that there is something corrupted in Windows 10, but I'm not computer literate enough to figure out what. And, since she did the upgrade online - I don't have a copy of Windows 10. I'm wondering if from the command prompt would I be able to back up her hard drive, and then use my copy of Windows 7 to see if her computer will even work? I can't get to the internet on her computer or I would see if I could get to the Microsoft site - I would think they have something in place for such things as these since no one who did the upgrade they offered would have a disk available in case of computer problems.

Suggestions, condolences, exorcisms - whatever will help I'm wiling to try as long as someone can walk me through what do do.

Thanks for reading and for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? It's not your daughter's fault that a Restore Point was not created. In Microsoft's infinite wisdom they decided to disable System Restore on Windows 10. I am not sure if it becomes enabled on a Windows 7 upgrade.

You can create a Windows 10 install DVD or USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool. Boot and click Repair Computer on the below screen. Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Automatic Repair. It may take up to three attempts to do a repair.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

win10.bootinstall02.jpg

Another poster had a similar problem after an automatic update. 

Does the computer have a valid Windows 7 key on a COA sticker? You could reinstall Windows 7 and use the key to do a phone activation.

If you need data off the hard drive you can use a live linux disk to copy data from the computer to an external drive. The problem with Windows 10 is it's hybrid shutdown model for quicker starts. This will only allow linux to read the drive but not write to it. You will still be able to copy data though.

I usually recommend Fatdog64 for copying data to an external drive on a Windows computer that does not boot. You can create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus and the fatdog iso file. Fatdog64-710.iso

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB flash or hard drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB flash or hard drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 February 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#3 LKnudson

LKnudson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, life gets in the way sometimes.
I can't give you the computer info because I'm not sure where to find it. Yes, I do have a Windows 7 sticker on the side of the computer that has the key.
I bought a thumb drive and copied Rufus and fat dog onto it. When I tried to run Rufus this is what it says. This version of D:\rufus-2.12.exe is not comparable with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computers system information and then contact the software publisher.
Also...and I'm not sure why, but when I was trying to find where her files are on this computer, it seems to be x, which I'm not really sure why. When I bring up the command prompt it takes me to x:\windows\system32>
Not sure what to do at this point. I will wait and see if you or anyone else can help me further.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

I am not sure why you received that error. You can try an older version here. If that fails with the same error than use Unetbootin to create the bootable flash drive of Fatdog.

Click the Diskimage button and then browse to the iso file of Fatdog. Press okay. This will wipe any current data on the flash drive.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

After recovering your data you can either reinstall Windows 10 or use the key on the COA sticker to install your version of Windows 7 using the Windows iso downloader.

Edit: If using Unetbootin you may need to enable Legacy or CSM boot in your BIOS settings. If your daughter's computer is HP then tap F9 at boot to bring up the boot menu. It's F12 on Dell.

Edit: I just noticed something. You have a drive letter of D: in your post. Are you trying to run Rufus from the flash drive? That will not work. Rufus needs to be run from the hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 February 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#5 LKnudson

LKnudson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

What I can tell you about her computer...it's an emachines and the front has an amd sticker, Windows 7 and graphics by nvidia sticker on it.
Now, I downloaded a different version of Rufus and got the same error. I downloaded unetbootin, and got the same error. I'm starting to think its me that is doing something wrong. On her computer I am at d: and then typing in the file name...is this what I'm supposed to do?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

Don't use her computer. Copy Rufus to a working computer's desktop. Copy the Fatdog iso file to the desktop or the same computer. Run Rufus per the instructions I posted. Transfer the flash drive to your daughter's computer and boot the flash drive. I am not sure if emachines has a boot menu. It may be F12. You may need to enter BIOS and change the boot order to have USB boot first. BIOS key may be Esc or Del.

Is there a sticker on the back of the emachines showing a model numbe?

#7 LKnudson

LKnudson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Found a sticker on the side....model EL 1352G. I bought it refurbished as a gaming computer. The computer she had before this wouldn't run her games, so I looked at the minimum system requirements and went from there. I personally don't like emachines, but it was the only thing I could afford with what she needed.
I'm also not using her computer - I can only get to a command prompt, so while someone with a lot of experience might be able to, I have no way to access the Internet. I have a thumb drive and have been putting it in one of my usb ports and copying the files to it off of my computer. So you are saying to copy the files and open Rufus on my computer...now, will this be a problem with the fact that my computer is Windows 7 64 bit, and hers is Windows 10 32 bit?

Edited by LKnudson, 25 February 2017 - 10:11 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

So you are saying to copy the files and open Rufus on my computer...now, will this be a problem with the fact that my computer is Windows 7 64 bit, and hers is Windows 10 32 bit? 

The CPU is what determines if fatdog will run and your emachines has a 64bit CPU so fatdog will run fine. 

You have access to the internet on your computer, correct? If so then you are correct, copy Rufus to your desktop and also the fatdog iso file you downloaded. Run Rufus on your computer to create the bootable USB flash drive. 

#9 LKnudson

LKnudson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

Okay, I've made the bootable usb flash drive. Now, I turn her computer off, put in the flashdrive and hit f12 as it's starting up (kinda like going into safemode after windows has had a problem) or do I go to the dos prompt and bring it up there?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

Please read my instructions for using fatdog in post #2. You will not be in Windows or DOS but in a live linux environment if you can boot to the fatdog desktop. Tapping F12 at boot with the flash drive attached should give you a list of bootable devices which includes the flash drive. Select it and wait until you are at the fatdog desktop. Proceed to copy the files per the instructions in post #2

#11 LKnudson

LKnudson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:55 PM

Not able to copy any of the files..even borrowed some software that was guaranteed to work. Got a long week ahead of me so will not get anything else done until my next day off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users