Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

login screen not presented after installing latest Windows updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

On Feb 6, 2017 I installed the latest Windows 10 updates. It had been scheduled for a late night install, but I decided to do it earlier. I noticed that it seemed to take quite a long time, especially since I always install them as they become available. After doing the install and rebooting, the lock screen appeared but when I tapped on the keyboard to get to the login screen the PC just froze and after a while returned to the lock screen with  the time and date. It appears that the lock screen darkens slightly and expands slightly as if to rise up and permit the login, but then freezes.

I was able to use the Shift + power button/restart to get to the trouble shooting option, but resetting to an earlier restore point fails, unable to extract a file, and using the reset option gets about 12% done before it also rolls back.

I then tried using Kaspersky Rescue disk 10 to do an A-V scan but after accepting the EULA it just freezes.

I do have a system recovery disk, but since Kaspersky has failed to allow for a scan, I am afraid that I may just be masking something worse. I am running Windows 10 Anniversary edition on a home built AMD Athlon II with 16Ghz ram 2 TB HD system drive + 1.5 TB second internal drive and 2 2TB external HD's.

Help would be greatly welcome...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

it has been 5 days since I posted this and have not gotten a reply. Can anyone help with this as it seems that system restore points and repair startup all fail.

Thank you

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

Do you have a system image backup from prior to the update?   If so the first thing I'd try is using your recovery software to reload that system image and try the upgrade again.  I will simply presume that you've been running File History or some other incremental backup to keep your user data from which you could restore whatever was created after the last system image was taken.

At this point there's been a lot mixed in that will make trying to figure out what's wrong with the current situation much more complicated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

I have a backup restore ISO that's a few months old. I have been able to back up user data and my user profile to an EHD via a mini-XP environment off a DVD . So far using the only restore point available -from the day of the MS update push - runs and supposedly 'works' but no change to the login window fail. Tried 'Startup Repair' and it fails and the 'Reset This PC' fails as well...

Your thoughts?

#5 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

also the System Recovery disc created when Win 10 was installed over Windows 7 also fails...

#6 msrmoshe

msrmoshe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

I would check if there is an issue with the file system. Try to boot up with installation media and skip startup repair- go to the command prompt, and run chkdsk /p - see what it gives you.

#7 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

I get 'an invalid parameter - /p'     this is from the X:  virtual drive

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

There is no /p parameter under Win10.  Try it again using chkdsk C:

Also, I've started a parallel thread that I think may be due to a closely related problem because I didn't want to hijack this one.  Have a look there, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

just ran chkdsk C: and the scan found no problems with the filesystem ...?

I had also posted the log file from CBS log but I don't see it here now. Is that disallowed? It did show many entries as 'Primitive installers committed for repair'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users