Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chdsk does not work: found.000 is not created again after deletion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slowburner

slowburner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

Hello everyone,

My external hard drive (WS Passport) has crashed lately. All folders turned into white unknown objects, each 0KB.

I ran chdsk and got all the files restored. I was able to access the found.000 folder on my father's pc, but not on mine.

After several futile attempts to access it from my laptop, I decided to delete it and run chdsk again. I did so. Now, the chdsk refuses to do the trick one more time. No found.000 folder is now created upon completion of the recovery procedure!

My question is: how come? Is there an explanation as to why chdsk does not create a found.000 folder anymore? Is there any way to force chdsk to create it?

According to the disk manager, the data (around 1,5 TB) is seemingly still there. I'd love to recover at least some of it.

Thank you for your suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

http://www.howtogeek.com/282798/what-are-the-found000-folder-and-file0000chk-file-in-windows/

Louis

#3 slowburner

slowburner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

Thank you, but there is not a single reference to my problem. I have deleted found.000 folder and basically want to have it back.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

...that should mean that chkdsk /r found no fragments, since that is the basis for creation of the folder.  That information is contained in the link which you say doen't pertain to your "problem".

"Those .CHK files are fragments of corrupted data—rather than deleting any corrupted data it finds, Check Disk puts it in a folder for you.

The folder and file are found on the same partition where the error occurred. For example, if you find a FOUND.000 folder and .CHK file on your USB drive, it contains fragments of one or more files recovered from your USB drive itself. If you find a FOUND folder and .CHK files on C:, your system drive, it contains file fragments recovered from the C: drive, your system partition.

These files only appear when you have Windows set to show hidden files. You’ll need to set File Explorer or Windows Explorer to show hidden files or Windows will hide this folder from you."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users