Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New install, BSOD in first couple hours.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel2345

Rebel2345

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

I've had a couple other topics recently with this problem, and its persisted for nearly 8 or 9 months now. So what happened-

I upgraded my video card and ram last year in I think August, and I also upgraded to Windows 10 (forcibly, might I add). Since I did that upgrade, I've had blue screen issues. I found that these 5 codes were occuring from then, until this week when I reformatted. They were very random though, it might occur every 30 minutes one day, but at one point went nearly 3 months without an error, started again frequently, go away for a month, come back again. During all that time I was searching and doing what I could to get it to stop, but nothing fully fixed the problem then. 

0x00000139
0x000000be
0x0000000a
0x000000f7
0x00000116 - way more of these through the time after upgrade, the other four only started recently. 

I found out that my video card was in a series of EVGA cards had parts on them that were over heating. So they RMA'd me a new one, and during that install, I got rid of an older hard drive that I was only using for Windows and small programs. Now I'm just with my two newer 1TB's drivers, newest with Windows on it. 

I never had a single blue screen before I changed my GPU and Ram, while I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10. So the only thing left from my last build is the CPU and Mobo, everything else is new and the problem persisted through all of the other upgrades, changed, exchanges I've done since it started happening. Multiple sets of ram, different HDD's, video cards, and PSU's all still had the problem. 

When I reformatted, I started very basic. I don't know if this is really an issue or not, but I turned off Window's automatically installing drivers as soon as Windows booted. I went through and started installing the drivers I know that I only need. Nvidia graphics and Physx only, the LAN/USB/Audio drivers from Gigabyte. But, there are no current chipset drivers from Gigabyte for my board that are made for Windows 10. I read somewhere to just download the ones for 8.1, and I did that, installing AMD Catalyst off of GBs website under chipset drivers. Not long after that was my first bluescreen with the 139, Kernel Security Check bluescreen. Right now, that is the only one since I reinstalled. I immediately uninstalled Catalyst, thinking maybe that could be part of it. I figured I'd come back and see if I can't get it worked out without a lot of junk installed right now. 

I also installed MSI Afterburner for the moment to I could change the fan curve on the GPU, since they are generally off and I don't like that. I have the Sysnative dump attached below. Let me know what else you might need. 

Corsair CX750M PSU

Gigabyte GA970A-UD3P
AMD FX-6300 with Hyper 212 cooler
16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600

EVGA GTX1070 FTW 3.0

2x 1TB HDD

Attached Files

Edited by Rebel2345, 07 February 2017 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

:welcome: to BleepingComputer!

Start by uninstalling MSI Afterburner and "GIGABYTE" from the Control Panel. Their drivers are known to cause BSODs. Unfortunately, there was only one memory dump in your report, so I'll have to rely on the information you've provided.

Execute the DRIVER-ONLY reinstallation of your NVIDIA graphics card drivers:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-tips-and-tricks/1188-nvidia-video-cards-driver-only-installation-procedure.html
BTW, never take NVIDIA driver updates from Windows Update. :nono:

In my experience, this fixes most STOP 0x116s, so what are the results?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

The 116's were from before I reformatted and did a fresh install of Windows. The only blue screen I had after that was the 139, up until I started to write a reply to you a few minutes ago. 

Now I just had a 0x000000be, Attempted to write to read only memory. I was typing here, as well as downloading a game that would tend to have blue screens happen more than most. I didn't even get a couple gigs in and it blue screened again. 

I only installed the Nvidia graphics drivers and the PhysX because I do use that with some games, none of the other extras. I uninstalled MSI for now, but I need something to control the fan curve. I don't like that they aren't normally running. 

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

Can you zip up the contents of %WinDir%\Minidump and attach them in your next reply? BTW, we were just dealing with a case in which MSI Afterburner was causing BSODs:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/639136/bsod-when-scanning-with-roguekiller/

While you're waiting for my response, run ALL of these hardware diagnostics, starting with the video stress tests.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

I'll run the diagnostics when I can. Heres the minidump files. 

Attached Files

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

The latest dump still blames your NVIDIA graphics drivers. Here's an excerpt from the dump stack:

ffffaa80`685d27a8  fffff805`d3609b72Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_02838dee03d82b94\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys

nvlddmkm+0x1d9b72

I'm confident that these BSODs are related to your graphics card. The first step is to perform all the hardware diagnostics, so we aren't trying to fix something we can't fix. :)

Here's an article that lists some troubleshooting steps:

www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

Edited by bwv848, 07 February 2017 - 04:24 PM.

#7 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

I went through a bunch of the hardware tests. Memory test and HDD tests passed, video card never showed any signs of problems or artifacts and never made it above 75c after an hour of burn-in. Prime95 I ran for a couple hours and showed the same kind of results from the last time I ran it for 24 hours before this reformat. No problem, no overheating (Idle about 20c, under load max was 35c). I scanned for any virus' or malware and nothing. 

I opened steam up and tried to continue downloading Division, and it crashed again in about the same amount of time it does ever time I try, and threw a 139 code again. 

Here is another dump file. 

Attached Files

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

These NVIDIA graphics drivers have been driving me nuts! :ranting: I'd say 80% of the BSODs I've been encountering this past week are all related to them!

The next step is to follow these instructions exactly. Even if you have re-installed your graphics drivers, this is another method that may work. Next, pop open the NVIDIA Control Panel, navigate to general settings, and configure the Power Management to "Prefer Maximum Performance."

Edit: Forgot to mention. The dump had several DirectX components in it. That points to your NVIDIA drivers/GPU AGAIN!

Edited by bwv848, 07 February 2017 - 10:11 PM.

#9 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:35 AM

Well, I was going to do this in the morning, but I'm not able to sleep so I came out and gave that a go. I did a fresh install of the drivers following those instructions the best I could. They don't seem to be written for W10, but I think I got the idea.

Only problem is, I had another blue screen within 15 minutes of that. I did turn off the Automatic Windows driver install BS, so I should have had a very clean install, so I'm guessing this is from something else. An 01a code. Dump file attached...

Edited to include another dump from another 139 code. 

I'm pretty sick of Windows 10 at this point..

Attached Files

Edited by Rebel2345, 08 February 2017 - 02:00 AM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

Unfortunately, the dumps were inconclusive. I'd like you to try downloading your graphics drivers directly from GIGABYTE's website. They may be out-dated, but they're "approved".

http://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Graphics-Card

#11 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

I don't know if it will really help, but I reverted back to Windows 7. I'm getting set up right now, doing all the updates and drivers, and I'm about to get a few games downloading. We'll see if they won't error like it would before and just see what happens from here. 

#12 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

Alright, so it didn't help. But It's throwing different codes now. On a Windows 7 Install, I only have my basic video drivers installed, the most recent LAN and USB drivers installed from Gigabyte, and that is it. No Chipset installed. 

I was able to get a game downloaded and I was able to actually play for a bit last night. Started to download another one, and it crashed. Same thing this morning, for consistency sake, it crashed downloading Fallout 4 again. 

Here's two more dumps. 

Attached Files

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

Can you run the Sysnative File App Collection instead? Since you downgraded to Windows 7, we need a good look at your system.

Thanks.

#14 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Didn't think about that. Here you go. 

Edit: Just so you're aware if it shows it, I had installed Afterburner for a bit, but I already removed it. 

Attached Files

Edited by Rebel2345, 09 February 2017 - 12:45 PM.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Can't tell much. I'd try installing version 372 of your NVIDIA drivers. A lot of people say it's really stable. Be sure to perform the Advanced Installation and only select the Graphics Drivers and PhysX software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users