Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion 15-bc006na

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hi. I've been looking at a HP Pavilion 15-bc006na, but struggling to find any detailed reviews on it. All the reviews I keep finding appear to be for a HP Pavilion 15 gaming laptop which looks a little different, has a different Intel processor and a green light.

So I just want to be certain, does the HP Pavilion 15-bc006na have a green light?

I'd also like to know the following;

What is the build quality like?

Does it has a disc drive?

Is it possible/easy to upgrade the RAM and HDD/SSD?

If it helps, the spec of the one I'm looking at is an Intel Quad Core i5-6300HQ, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M - 2 GB dedicated Graphics Card and Windows 10.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2017 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Here are some Amazon UK reviews.

Normally HP build quality is good.

It has two drives, a 128GB solid state M2 drive and a 1TB SATA mechanical drive.

The Service and Maintenance guide will tell you how to take it apart.  Normally the RAM and HDD/SSD are easy to swap out.

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

What are you using this laptop for?

#4 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

Here are some Amazon UK reviews.

Normally HP build quality is good.

It has two drives, a 128GB solid state M2 drive and a 1TB SATA mechanical drive.

The Service and Maintenance guide will tell you how to take it apart.  Normally the RAM and HDD/SSD are easy to swap out.

Thanks. I've already read the reviews and questions on Amazon. No mention of any light at all. Hoping that's because there is no green light! lol.

It's confusing with the disc drive. No mention of it in the description, says none in the spec, has SSD and HDD which normally means no disc drive, but answers to questions about a disc drive say there is one so bit confused! I can always buy an external disc drive if needed for games, DVDs, software etc. Just nice to know before buying if it does actually have a disc drive or not.

Nice to know the build quality is usually good though!

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

What are you using this laptop for?

Photoshop (possibly other Adobe programs) and maybe a bit of video editing. Possibly some old(er) games if they're compatible. Newer games are less likely, but I'd like a laptop that could handle them if needed. Plus just general use (internet browsing - multiple tabs/windows, watching videos and Microsoft Office).

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

This machine has both a 128GB M2 SSD and a 1TB SATA drive, these are separate, individual components.  A M2 SSD drive looks like a memory stick, so you couldn't actually install two normal drives in the machine, but you could upgrade both the M2 SSD and change the SATA drive to a SATA SSD if you wanted.

If you look in the service manual I linked, page 17, you can see a blow out diagram of the machine.

I'm guessing the green light you're talking about is from the back lit keyboard.  I haven't seen anything saying that this model has a back lit keyboard.

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

This machine has both a 128GB M2 SSD and a 1TB SATA drive, these are separate, individual components.  A M2 SSD drive looks like a memory stick, so you couldn't actually install two normal drives in the machine, but you could upgrade both the M2 SSD and change the SATA drive to a SATA SSD if you wanted.

If you look in the service manual I linked, page 17, you can see a blow out diagram of the machine.

I'm guessing the green light you're talking about is from the back lit keyboard.  I haven't seen anything saying that this model has a back lit keyboard.

Yeah, that's why I was confused with people were saying it has a disc drive because the HDD and SSD are separate and from what I've read of other laptops the SSD is in place of the disc drive. It didn't seem a big enough laptop to have all 3, but people (one being a seller of the item) are saying that it can play discs. Question states "Can you play CDs". I get a seller may have mistaken it for another model as they've stated it has a CD/DVD player, but two other people have replied saying it plays CDs and they've played DVDs. So thought I may as well check seeing as I had a few other questions anyway lol.

And yeah. Searching for this model only bought up a HP Pavilion with a green back lit keyboard on review sites and I don't want that. Was pretty certain it was a different model (even though the correct one didn't come up in searches) and was hoping this model didn't have the same feature, but needed to make sure!

Thanks for your help :)

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

Since there is a dash in the model number you need to put it in quotes when you search for it on the web, HP Pavilion "15-bc006na".  The one with the back lit keyboard is the 15 model.

I'm not seeing an optical drive on that machine.  You can add a USB optical drive for $25 US and up.  Most laptops don't come with an optical drive as it allows them to make them smaller and lighter.

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:06 PM

Since there is a dash in the model number you need to put it in quotes when you search for it on the web, HP Pavilion "15-bc006na".  The one with the back lit keyboard is the 15 model.

I'm not seeing an optical drive on that machine.  You can add a USB optical drive for $25 US and up.  Most laptops don't come with an optical drive as it allows them to make them smaller and lighter.

I did search with quotes, but can't remember if it was just the last bit or the whole name. Results are very limited either way. It doesn't show the results for the other laptop that way, but doesn't show up much for that one. It comes up with a Tesco link, but it's not in stock and no reviews so not much help. There are links to the HP site, but they're just the specs and there's another site with just the specs as well. Maybe the laptop isn't widely available in the UK and perhaps not one of the most popular?

Yeah, exactly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users