Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to damage app during installation?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Griumiu

Griumiu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

This is likely dumb question, but I need to be sure.

Situation where you download the installer/downloaded file, extract app file from it, eject disk image form desktop, then put downloaded file into trash and it suddenly don't want to be deleted. I suspect system was still using it in some ways... though disk image had been ejected.

App itself seems to work, opens and does what it was meant to do. Just slight worry if there might be internal error causing security issues. Is this possible?

Or if App actually works, then it works 100%?

I've had it happen few times with different apps and was never sure if I should go and remove them and re-install, eve if they seemingly work.

Will Thunderbird get less secure? Will Malwarebytes not detect everything?

Thoughts like that. Just don't know how apps works - are they like one big bundle that either works or won't work at all and as long as they seem to work, they are 100% fine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

I suspect system was still using it in some ways... though disk image had been ejected.

I would agree with your suspicion. The easy way to always check that is to reboot the Mac. If the file was "in use" somehow, then rebooting will almost always (if not always) "release" it.

It is always possible that a file could be corrupted during the download process, but generally if that happens, the program will not even install or if it installs, it will not run properly. If the program appears to be running properly, then it is likely fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users