Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 volcanicxb

volcanicxb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hello everyone...I'm new to the community and my name is Eddie. Hope to learn a lot from you guys as I'm just really getting into the inner workings of a pc although I've been using them for many years.

Over Christmas my youngest son wanted a pc to use for gaming, so I got him a DELL XPS 8910 SE, as I have an account with Dell through my work and am able to get pretty decent discounts. I did a bit of research before deciding on this one, and finally pulled the trigger when it seemed to be able to handle the newest games by coming with an AMD Radeon RX 480 8Gb video card. I did get the entry level one with the i5-6400 processor but so far it seems to be able to handle whatever I throw at it. However, when looking at the specs for Battlefield 1 it's minimum reccommended specs call for the i7-7000 processor. I went to the Can I Run It site and it checked my system and said it would run at low to medium settings and suggested upgrading the system RAM, as I only have 8 Gb (2 4Gb sticks of DDR4 SDRAM at 2133MHz). I was thinking of getting a couple of 8Gb sticks and want to be sure I get the proper ones, as I've read that mismatching the sticks can cause it to run slower than faster. I found one on the Dell site that appears to be the one I need, but after 3 emails back and forth with them they don't appear to be even looking at the link of the stick I'm asking about and cannot tell me yes....that is the one you need, or no..... you need this part number (XXXXX). Could someone please tell me if this is the one that I would need to purchase 2 of in order to work with the 2 I have to give me 24 Gb of RAM that would speed it up rather than slow it down? 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-8gb-certified-memory-module-2rx8-ddr4-udimm-2133mhz-non-ecc/apd/a8058238/memory

BTW....the configuration needs to work in the following configurations.

Configuration  Slot
                    DIMM1  DIMM2  DIMM3  DIMM4
8 GB              4 GB    4 GB  
16 GB            8 GB    8 GB  
24 GB            4 GB    8 GB        4 GB    8 GB
32 GB            8 GB    8 GB        8 GB    8 GB
64 GB           16 GB  16 GB     16 GB   16 GB 

Thanks in advance everyone. Looking forward to learning more as I go, as computers have always interested me, but I've never had a decent pc to work with.

Eddie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hi Eddie :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

For Dell machines is better to provide the Service Tag because it allow us to know all the details about the machine.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 volcanicxb

volcanicxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

Thanks SleepyDude..... here is the info.

Service Tag DY58ND2 Computer Model XPS 8910 Shipping Date 12/2/2016 Country United States
Show All | Hide All | Export to csv
Part Number
Quantity
Description
G0F5J
SCREW, 6-32 L3.6, HEXHEAD, THREAD FORMED, ZINC PLATED STEEL
LABEL, BARCODE, TRACK, SYSTEM BOARD, GENERIC
Part Number
Quantity
Description
44Y45
LABEL, PACKAGE, OCULUS, DESKTOP
FF40R
LABEL, SYSTEM BOARD, OCULUS, DESKTOP
F61X6
LABEL, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, OCULUS, AREA51 R2
M9YM5
PLACEMAT, GETTING STARTED, 8910, WITHVR, D/E/B
Part Number
Quantity
Description
MHK36
CARD (CIRCUIT), WIRELESS, M.2, 3165
N2VM5
LABEL, REGULATORY, WIRELESS, 3165, WORLD WIDE, MOSAIC/MIDAS,M2P3,M2P4 & TANG, CSMB
Part Number
Quantity
Description
69J7M
PROCESSOR, SKL, I5-6400, 2.7, 65W, 6M, COR
Y8T2X
ASSEMBLY, HEATSINK, MAINSTREAM, MEDIUM TOWER
Part Number
Quantity
Description
RFVHJ
SHIPPING MATERIAL, BOX, SYSTEM, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM, VMAX, REGULAR SLOTTED CONTAINER
RJN50
SHIPPING MATERIAL, BOX, OPTION, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM, VMAX
WPT9C
SHIPPING MATERIAL, CUSHION, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM, VMAX, EPE
3947T
LABEL, BARCODE, SYS BOX, GENERIC, 5X5
JD509
LABEL, REGULATORY, SIDE, UNIVERSAL, BLANK , V2
Part Number
Quantity
Description
CW76M
HARD DRIVE, 1TB, S3, 7.2K, 512E, TSH-MARS
Part Number
Quantity
Description
WH67C
GUIDE, PRODUCT, MULTIPLE USER INTERFACE, SERI, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
Part Number
Quantity
Description
1RH7N
LABEL, RTL RTN, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, UNITED STATES
Part Number
Quantity
Description
DT8HY
LABEL, REGULATORY, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM, JSD2, 8910, 460W, FLEXIBLE PRINTED CIRCUIT
Part Number
Quantity
Description
KCM65
DPK, WIN10, HOME
Part Number
Quantity
Description
P142N
SCREW, M2X2.5MM, FLAT HEAD, MACHINE SCREW, C1018
RYWN4
ASSEMBLY, BEZEL, OPTICAL DEVICE DRIVE, SERVER ENHANCED, LATCH, 8910
XF40J
ASSEMBLY, CHASSIS, PWA INTEGRATED, 460W, POWER FACTOR CORRECTION, SERVER ENHANCED, 891
Part Number
Quantity
Description
7G1XN
CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES, RX, 480
Part Number
Quantity
Description
RKR0N
KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, KB216-B, LITEON
Part Number
Quantity
Description
V7623
KIT, MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, LASER, CONSUMER, PRIMAX ELECTRONICS LTD, PE
Part Number
Quantity
Description
5120P
CORD, POWER, 125V, 6FT, SJT, UNSHIELDED
Part Number
Quantity
Description
9M9FK
DVD+/-RW, 8X, 9.5T, GU90N, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE
Part Number
Quantity
Description
DP8YY
LABEL, INTEL, CI5, 6, SMALL
Part Number
Quantity
Description
61H6H
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 4GB, 2133, 1RX8, 4G, DDR4, NU

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

The manual is not detailed about the memory you can use!

According to the Crucial webpage http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/xps-8910 it accepts Single Ranked and Dual Ranked UDIMM's

To be safe I would go with Single Ranked modules because the one you have are 1Rx8

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 volcanicxb

volcanicxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

I know right??!! That's why I kept emailing them asking for a specific part number and the best I could get out of them was that I needed  to purchase a memory with the DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory specification. That still left the question of 1r8 vs 2r8 and UDIMM vs RDIMM. It was like they didn't even know themselves. But thank you so much. I really appreciate that SleepyDude!  :thumbup2:

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

The manual only specifies UDIMM not RDIMM

___
Rui

#7 volcanicxb

volcanicxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

Didn't even notice that. Thanks for pointing that out! Like I mentioned before, this is all new to me as far as the physical components that make up the pc. I can run the programs, install and uninstall software and use it. But going inside the machine is where my knowledge ends. I truly appreciate the assistance. It looks like the Crucial kit is the way to go, as Dell doesn't seem to even have any 1r8 sticks available. I'm now looking at this kit in particular, as it seems to be the only single channel setup on their site for 16 Gigs that would work for my configuration specs.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/xps-8910/CT9269234

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

Its one option... kingston is another one they produce memory compatible with specific machines http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=&Mfr=DEL&Line=XPS&Model=95414&ktc_campaign=OEM_Dell_UK_Shop

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2017 - 06:32 PM.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users