Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot change registry permissions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hi - first time poster here. I've searched & all the results show the same process on how to change registry permissions. But have not found anything on what to do if this process does not work. Hopefully someone can provide some guidance.

I’m trying to delete the Display key in the registry as outlined here.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/657768-HowTo-Switch-monitor-1-Monitor-2-Identity

I followed all the steps to change permissions & ran RegEdit as Administrator but had no success.

When I go to Advanced > Owner and select “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” & click Apply, I get the following message:
““Registry Editor could not could not set owner on the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys.”

I click OK and proceed.

When I get to Advanced > Permissions and select “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from the object” & click Apply, I get the same message.

When I’m done with trying to change permissions, I go back and right click on a key & try to delete it & get “Cannot delete DISPLAY: Error while deleting key”. Which is what I get before trying to change permissions.

I tried to delete just a single monitor and was successful so I figured that was the way to do it. But this only worked once & so far have not been able to duplicate it. So I’m back to going nowhere.

Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Are you able to delete the key by typing regedit in seach box and then right click > Run as Administrator.

If that fails you should be able to delete the key using the offline registry editor available on the Kaspersky Rescue Disk.

I believe there also is a registry editor in the Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home edition

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

#3 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

The regedit was Run as Administrator.

I did not try any 3rd party tools. My thought was that if other people were able change these permissions then I should too. Perhaps I'm not doing something right. If that's the case then I'd like to know what I'm not doing properly.

As mentioned, one time I was able to delete an individual display. I don't know what I did differently because the steps involved are pretty straight forward. Maybe there's some little detail that I missed.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

If you followed the steps correctly to take ownership of the key and it failed another option is to use the method here by BC member Broni. The tool allows you to use the top most System account which can be dangerous. System Account is higher than the hidden Administrator Account.

http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/51422-vistaseven-the-registry-editor-could-not-set-security-in-the-key-currently-selected-or-some-of-its-subkeys-error-fix/

Another option is to try editing the registry using the Hidden Administrator Account. Open an elevated command prompt and type

net user administrator /active:yes

after editing the registry type

net user administrator /active:no

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

Have you tried using RegASSASIN by Malwarebytes? It should work even if the key isn't malware-placed. BE VERY CAREFUL!

https://www.malwarebytes.com/regassassin/

Edited by bwv848, 06 February 2017 - 09:57 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

Just an update -

I looked at using the Kaspersky Rescue Disk but took a pass at the moment. Not that it's difficult to make a disc but the instructions seem to have a lot of steps. Plus I have to find & dig out my blank discs.

I ran the RegASSASIN by Malwarebytes but it could not delete the registry key.

I'll check out the other options.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

You can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. If FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Kaspersky iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

#8 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

My PC cannot boot from a USB flash drive. There is no setting in BIOS for USB. I discovered this long time ago & guess the PC is too old & made before booting from USB became popular.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

For burning a CD use Imgburn on any computer using Vista or XP. Windows 7 or later can burn the iso to CD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

#10 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

I have a couple of questions.
==============================

I right click on a key & select Permissions, then go to Advanced > Owner and here’s what I get.

Advanced Security SettingsCurrent Owner:
Administrators (HPDesktop\Administrators)

Change Owner to:
Administrators (HPDesktop\Administrators)
Myname (HPDesktop\Myname)

Do I change to Myname or leave as Administrators?

===============================

Then I go to Advanced Security Settings > Permissions and here’s what I get.

Permission Entries:
Allow    Everyone    Full Control
Allow    SYSTEM    Full Control
Allow    Owner Rights    Special
Allow    Everyone    Read

In the “how to” examples I’ve seen both the Administrator & Myname appear in this list. But on my system neither one do. Do I add them to the list?

In fact in the initial Permissions > Security screen neither one of these appear.

===============================

I went to restore the Registry & imported the section of the Registry that I exported & saved. But I got a message:
Cannot import C:\\Users\xxxxx\REG SYSTEM. Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Good thing I also created a system restore point.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

Change the owner to your name. Add your name and give it full permissions.

#12 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

I think why there's a problem changing this particular key is that it's a display key & the display is always active when the PC is on. IOW I'm trying to change something while it's being used. That being said, I was able to delete the one monitor that wasn't being used, but that was only one time & could never could be duplicated. I have no idea what made that occurrence different. But the main thought is it's difficult to change any display key. I wonder how the original poster did it. I haven't given up & will keep backing up & trying.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

The only way I would know how to do this if the key is being used is offline. Either using something like Kaspersky or using a Windows boot disk.

#14 IDNeon

IDNeon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

It appears looking at my own REG KEY that the object is "SYSTEM" owned.

There's a way to do things as SYSTEM but it's just too much a hassle at that point, not sure why you'd want to apply this fix which seems unnecessary.

#15 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes I use 2 monitors in the either of the following configurations.
Setup A: 23” and 19”
Setup B: 27” and 19”

I used to be able to swap between the larger monitors without a problem. But since I’ve reinstalled everything on a new HDD I have to change a software setting (Visual Pinball) when I swap monitors otherwise the displays are messed up & both screen images show up on one monitor.

Doing a lot of searching it appears Windows “remembers” the order in which monitors are initially connected & assigns them some sort of internal enumeration number which stays with them forever. At least that’s my basic understanding.

I’m thinking I connected the monitors differently this time compared to my previous Windows install. I don’t know if that’s the real cause of the problem but so far I have not found a better one. I figured I’d clear out the part of the registry that remembers the monitors & reconnect them in a different order. That seemed like a simple plan but so far it’s not working out to be so easy.

At this point I think I’ll just deal with changing a software setting. It just would be more convenient if things worked the way they used to.

Edited by PuzzledToo, 10 February 2017 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users