Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone help me diagnose a possible hardware issue?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Daffypuck

Daffypuck

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

I originally posted this in the W7 thread and it was moved to the "Am I infected" thread. After some diagnosing, it seems to be a hardware problem. Im not certain, but it seems to be a power supply issue. My PC after a few minutes powers down as if unplugged. It wont power back up pushing button on front, so I turn of the PS on the back and then back on after a few moments and it powers up from front button. I have a spare power supply from an older build and was wondering if it would be sufficient for my current build. Here is my current build:http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IO5CuoFurVdaprfsCOcBnPN

I want to go ahead and post this thread in case it shuts down. I will edit shortly the two PS I have. Thanks

Here is the spare one I have:http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vio-450w-atx-20-24-pin-power-supply-ky-550atx-atx-12v/122153799843/

My current PS is a Cooler Master RS 500 PCAR d3

Also, Ive pretty much ruled out a temperature issue as well. My CPU & G-card seem to be running well within limits.

Edited by Daffypuck, 06 February 2017 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

Per your Am I Infected topic:

As I said previously, this issue is more likely related to the "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" error or a hardware problem. Either way, I would recommend posting in the Hardware forum or taking your computer to a shop for some diagnostic testing. There is no much you can do if it keeps shutting down and you're not too familiar with diagnostics.

Louis

#3 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

I did. Is this not the hardware thread you suggested? How do I go about checking the disc? When the window pops up during boot up, it checks and says it's fine.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

My self id start with a good clean in the box of all parts with electronic contact cleaner or something like "i like zippo fuel" then i might run the system with min hardware for a wile and see what happens, last i might underclock the system and see if that helps, as well if the system 100% locks up after a power off it kind of sounds like a psu deal and i looked up your psu but couldn't find any reviews for the Cooler Master RS 500 PCAR d3 but from what i remember cooler mater likes to pump out junk at times and is regarded by many as being a crap psu company and just looking at a youtube vid of whats inside your psu i wasn't impressed.

Other psu you seem to have as a backup looks like trash too, kind of psu i wouldn't push past 250watts.

#5 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:40 PM

Do you think the spare would be ok just for test purposes? If that solves it, what would you suggest as a replacement?

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Seems a lot like EVGA psu of late though i don't mind a good antec or corsair psu as well my self, their well known brands that have bin around a wile though if you go dirt cheap you often end up getting what you payed for regardless of whos sticker is on the side of the psu.

I wouldn't touch your spare unless it was for a system that used 200watts max under full load, just looking at that thing dousen't make me want to trust it, smells like the super cheap psu thats 250watts with 500watt sticker on the side of it and smalls like it sell for like $15 in my part of the world, kind of thing id get for a old Pentium 4 beater computer but that's about it.

By the way what did you say your cpu hit temp wise under foll load stress testing ?

#7 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

Under idle with I.E. open, maybe 60°-75°. The max load I guess I could put on it would be 1080p video rendering, which I haven't done yet.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:28 PM

Idle means little to me, if your saying your cpu temps are fine then thats saying you did stress testing under full load, and the temps were what under full load ?

If you don't know that means you didn't test the system on this topic.

#9 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

I'm saying that when the PC shutdown, the temps at that moment we're around 70° F. The graphics card were similarly low as well. Even under the heaviest load that would ever put it under (video rendering) the temps were still under90° F.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

Doubt it, no way your cpu stays at 32c under full load, that's just not realistic a number, as it is its my cpu at 34c and its not doing anything with ambient temp 27c with a full water cooling loop.

If you wouldn't mind as well stop using F and use C, i keep having to convert the numbers to know what your talking about ;)

Try this and stop at 75c, if the computer powers down in testing don't repeat test just remember what the max heat number was before the system turned off, let it run for min 15 min before stopping it to get a decent reading of max heal level, as well what did you say your heat sink was ?

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

#11 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:25 PM

Well, it seems it was the PSU. I had another PC that I built prior to this one that had a 400w Corsair PSU. I switched it out and all seems to be doing well. Is the Corsair sufficient enough for my build, or should I order a higher wattage PSU for this build?

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

Should be ok from what i can tell from what your hardware is in speccy though my self i would go bigger on the psu if and when you can down the road, i would guess your system under gaming or full load should pull in about 300watts or so give or take some, in any case a good psu powers off if over loaded so as to not damage hardware, cheap ones with no overload protection like the one in the vid i posted explode and take your hardware with it.

Edited by shadow_647, 08 February 2017 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users