Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't browse, can't get to System Restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 steelcaress

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

My son got his Win 7 computer completely malware-ized.

1) When he opened his computer this morning, his date and system time were out of whack. I fixed that problem, but apparently not the cause.

2) I can't browse to any websites (it claims the security certificates are out of date).

3) I used ADWcleaner, which removed quite a bit of malware. Still can't browse.

4) I downloaded Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes 3 on a USB stick, activated the free licenses and removed more junk. Still can't browse.

5) I used Avast and it couldn't find a thing.

6) I refreshed Firefox. Still can't browse.

7) Went to do a system restore and begin the malware removal from a couple days ago, when he could get on the internet. I got an *Access Denied* error.

So, is there a way to get this thing up and running again?

On a side note, his internet is not entirely trashed, as Internet Explorer gives him the server out of date error, but allows you to ignore and you can browse as usual.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,446 posts
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

Emsisoft has an Emsisoft Emergency Kit, consider downloading and running it -- it might smoke out some more malware.  You might have to remove Firefox completely and do fresh reinstall if Firefox's internal refresh does not solve the problem.  Does Microsoft Internet Explorer behave the same way?  Google Chrome likewise?

If after all of this, you still suspect malware still exists, you can open a new thread in the malware section, Am I Infected? forum; then a mod will close this thread until that one has run its course.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 February 2017 - 03:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,118 posts
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

Type the following commands in an Elevated Command Prompt. 

CMD in the search box > Right click Run as Administrator

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot. If the above gives you internet access run HitmanPro again as it needs internet access.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 February 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#4 steelcaress

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys. But my problems just got worse. This virus is really sophisticated, as it has locked me out of winsock and turned off Malwarebytes 3 realtime protection. So I'm moving this to the malware forum.

#5 Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,376 posts
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

To avoid confusion for everyone this topic is now closed. To continue please see this topic: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/639305/cant-browse-locked-out-of-system-restore-and-cmd-functions/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users