Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Upgrading CPU, Power Supply, and Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket_Finn

Rocket_Finn

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

So I bought a stock gaming computer a while ago and it's fine for playing games like CS:GO and Overwatch. I've had Fallout 4 ever since I purchased this computer, but I get around 30 fps with all the settings as low as they can go, and it's still really choppy and not much fun to play. I'm not good at picking parts or knowing what parts go together, but I do know how to take a computer apart and put new parts in if I need to.

So basically, I want to upgrade my CPU, power supply, and graphics card so I can play games and still enjoy them. And when I say upgrade I don't mean the top of the line like a GTX1080. I just want something that will allow me to game whenever I want and not get frustrated because I'm getting low frame rates.

This is as link to the PC I bought about a year ago and have not changed anything yet: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4593000.p?skuId=4593000

I'm sorry If I left any information out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by Rocket_Finn, 06 February 2017 - 06:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

Checked out link and the only thing i can get from it is mid tower case, 8 gig ram, AMD cpu/video hardware, doing the following could be helpfull

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

As well what cooler are you using for your cpu ? and what PSU we talking about in that thing ?

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

There's actually quite a bit on info on the Best Buy page.  That PC uses and AMD FX-4300, 8GB of RAM, and an AMD Radeon R7 240.  We will need to know the motherboard and the kind of power supply it is using.  For a $500 PC, I wouldn't expect a high-end PSU, but that is a fairly low-end graphics card for gaming.

Upgrading the power supply to a CORSAIR AX Series AX760 760W, assuming it using a standard ATX power supply, would allow you to use most GPU's on the market, GIGABYTE Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 4GB, would work well for a decent GPU.  We will need to know the motherboard for the CPU.

3939.png

#4 Rocket_Finn

Rocket_Finn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

There's actually quite a bit on info on the Best Buy page.  That PC uses and AMD FX-4300, 8GB of RAM, and an AMD Radeon R7 240.  We will need to know the motherboard and the kind of power supply it is using.  For a $500 PC, I wouldn't expect a high-end PSU, but that is a fairly low-end graphics card for gaming.

Upgrading the power supply to a CORSAIR AX Series AX760 760W, assuming it using a standard ATX power supply, would allow you to use most GPU's on the market, GIGABYTE Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 4GB, would work well for a decent GPU.  We will need to know the motherboard for the CPU.

The motherboard is a MSI 760GM-P23(FX)

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Seems quite steep for a FX 4300/R7 240 combination. for $550, I'd at least expect an RX 460 :/ 

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

My bad, didn't scroll down, guess im a bone head :D

Video card looks like a joke, and why did they put 2gigs ram on it, something that slow shouldn't have more then 512 ram if not 256megs.

Mini motherboard dousen't do anything for me, well at lest you have a 32bit pci slot on it, though of corse i never like mini ATX boards

for $550, I'd at least expect an RX 460 :/

Agreed

Just look at the review here of both cards here, the RX460 is all most 7x "700%" faster and price wise only $20 more then the R7 240

And ya id probly upgrade the PSU though no need for a 750watt unless you wan't something good to hand on to over the years as your hardware changes, chances are the one thats in their is trash.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125897

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125919

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users