Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu or Mint

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

I already have Ubuntu installed on my network and that can install iso's straight to USB really easily.

I'll be installing Xubuntu over the current Ubuntu install to run alongside win 7 as a dual boot on the net book.

Good, I still like UUI more than Unetbootin.  Which one do you use in Ubuntu "Startup Disk Creator" hmm, have to give that one a go!  Been using the OTHER OS lately, The Dark Side, not allowed to mention that one over here lol.

Very good

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

I'd recommend going with Mint 17.3; the more recent Mint 18.x and Ubuntu 16.x variants have AMD driver issues because of deletion of some unified AMD driver from the main Linux kernel, or some such nonsense/ issue.....

If you like the Win7/XP/Win10 start menu look, go Mint....

If you like the Unity sidescroller, Ubuntu is still easy to use once all your shortcuts are set up.

Edited by Al1000, 10 February 2017 - 07:32 PM.
remove profanity

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#18 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

which I currently run as a dual boot windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

MDD1963, we already know he can run 16.04.1, so all good there.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#19 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

If you like the Unity sidescroller, Ubuntu is still easy to use once all your shortcuts are set up.

MDD,

How come you're allowed to use the "B" word...when I used it in another thread I was told it was vulgar and disgusting because this is a family forum and also received a warning too.   Not having a go at you MDD...it seems to me that there are two sets of rules on this friendly forum...any comment on this Nic. 

Nearly forgot...Install Mint 18 on your laptop...it will run very well...I recently installed Mint 18 on my 4 year old laptop and it now runs twice as fast as Win 7 ever did.

Edited by Al1000, 10 February 2017 - 07:33 PM.
remove profanity from quoted post and fix quote tags

#20 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

bob007,

Please report any posts that you feel break the rules and the moderators will deal with them. This is not the appropriate place to discuss the forum rules.

Edited by Al1000, 10 February 2017 - 07:38 PM.

#21 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

My use of the disguised "B" word was a mistake, and was removed, my apologies to all....

#22 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

I meant "ghastly/horrid/ill-advised/much-hated Unity sidescroller"! :)

#23 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:58 PM

bob007,

Please report any posts that you feel break the rules and the moderators will deal with them. This is not the appropriate place to discuss the forum rules.

It was never my intention to report anyone as I don't think the "B" word is offensive at all...but after the warning I received and all the fuss for using it...I won't use it from now on. 

Edited by bob007, 11 February 2017 - 11:59 PM.

#24 CoreyHB

CoreyHB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

This has been a great discussion. I also have an older laptop I was thinking about putting a Linux OS on, and this was good reading. I am going to experiment and play now!

#25 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

Apologies for another which flavour thread!

I have an old(ish) Acer Aspire One 722-C52KK netbook (2GB RAM, AMD C50 dual core 1Ghz cpu, 1366x768 resolution) which I currently run as a dual boot windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. I'm new to Linux and have found Ubuntu run's fairly well on the hardware but am not totally convinced as of yet by Unity. My question is will Mint run as well given the system specs as it looks more windows like? The other odd thing with Ubuntu is I only get download speeds of around 4 mbps vs speeds of 38 mbps on win 7. Will Mint run any better?

Thanks

Hello, I read this entire thread and the folks here really do know their stuff and have given you some good advice and several good options, but I am not convinced that their advice really hit the mark. I am running a very modest little system that has three different operating systems on it; Windows 10 (my main OS), Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18.1. After reading your post I went into each of my different distros and using Firefox as my web browser, I typed into the Google search "how fast is my internet." Using Speedtest.net on Firefox in all three of my different distros, I came up with exactly the same speed, approx. 115 mbps.

So instead of me offering advice of which distro you should choose, my advice is to try to find out why different distros act differently on your hardware. I am not convinced that the difference is distro related but it maybe hardware related.

Back to the regularly scheduled "help me pick a distro" thread.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#26 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hi Rocky,

Silly me...I should have read the OPs first post again because when I said my laptop runs twice as fast...I was not referring to internet speed.  What I meant was...Laptop boots quicker and shuts down quicker...programs load twice as fast as win 7 ever did...it's like new...all because of Linux.  You're correct...internet speed has nothing to do with any OS as it's the ISP and other factors.  

OP, 

You have an old netbook with only 2GB of Ram and a 1Ghz CPU...I'm surprised it runs Win 7 as the min Ram is 4GB... you also have integrated graphics which means you're running even less Ram and you dual boot too...no wonder you're having problems.  My laptop is 4 years old but it's 64 bit...4GB DDR 3 Ram and has a 2.5 Ghz CPU...so Mint 18 runs like a rocket. 

My advice is to install more Ram...don't dual boot...wipe the HDD and install Mint 18 and if this fails then buy a new Laptop and install mint 18.  These days there's no need to dual boot...with vituralbox you can run vitural machines that run just like the real thing but without the problems that can occur with dual booting IMO. 

#27 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Apologies for another which flavour thread!

I have an old(ish) Acer Aspire One 722-C52KK netbook (2GB RAM, AMD C50 dual core 1Ghz cpu, 1366x768 resolution) which I currently run as a dual boot windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. I'm new to Linux and have found Ubuntu run's fairly well on the hardware but am not totally convinced as of yet by Unity. My question is will Mint run as well given the system specs as it looks more windows like? The other odd thing with Ubuntu is I only get download speeds of around 4 mbps vs speeds of 38 mbps on win 7. Will Mint run any better?

Thanks

How are your network speeds now?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users