Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu, Presario s5200nx

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/637669/ubuntu-install-from-usb/ - Hamluis.

So I am trying to run ubuntu from a 16GB sd card on my Compaq presario s5200nx. The RAM isnt up to spec with what you say, but isn't this only needed if I am trying to download to the desktop itself. I am ok with running from the sd card until I can upgrade my RAM. XP isnt connecting to online except thru a microsoft site and then none else. 

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2017 - 05:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

Another pc?  Specs please.  You can use this to see them.  http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Computer-Information

If that doesn't work just ask again.  You could also download that crucial tool if you like with XP.  I tried finding your pc on crucial's site with no luck.  Or you can download Speccy and run that, I think it still runs on XP.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

I wouldn't bother with Ubuntu it's way to heavy for 512MB of RAM, Installed or not, and you have not provided the source of Ubuntu you have either.  You should not be running the newest version just to be safe, old computers don't always run the newest distro's well.  I would run Puppy with that until you get more RAM.  You could also try to run Lubuntu.  Choose the bit type that suits you best.  You could run this with the RAM you have...I think...but don't know yet how much you have?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/14.04/release/

Edited by pcpunk, 05 February 2017 - 06:07 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

• Recommended Use
    home use
  • Product Form Factor
    Tower
  • Localization
    English / United States
  • Packaged Quantity
  • Manufacturer
    HP
PROCESSOR / CHIPSET
  • CPU
    Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
  • Processor Socket
    Socket 478
CACHE MEMORY
  • Installed Size
    L2 cache - 128 KB
  • Cache Per Processor
    128 KB
  • Type
    L2 cache
  • Per Processor Size
    128 KB
  • Installed Size
    128 KB
STORAGE
  • Type
    CD-RW
  • Read Speed
    16x
RAM
  • Technology
    DDR SDRAM
  • Memory Speed
    133 MHz
  • Memory Specification Compliance
    PC2100
  • Technology
    DDR SDRAM
  • Installed Size
    512 MB
MEMORY
  • Max Supported Size
    1 GB
  • Form Factor
    DIMM 184-pin
  • Slots Qty
  • Empty Slots
DISPLAY
  • Type
    none.
AUDIO & VIDEO
  • Memory Allocation Technology
    shared video memory (UMA)
HARD DRIVE
  • Type
    HDD
  • Installed Qty
  • Capacity
    120 GB
STORAGE CONTROLLER
  • Type
    IDE
  • Installed Qty
INPUT
  • Type
    keyboard, mouse
PROCESSOR
  • Installed Qty
  • Max Supported Qty
  • Type
    Celeron
  • Manufacturer
    Intel
  • Clock Speed
    2.7 GHz
OPTICAL STORAGE
  • Drive Type
    DVD
  • Type
    DVD-ROM
  • Interface Type
    IDE
OPTICAL STORAGE (2ND)
  • Read Speed
    48x
  • Write Speed
    48x
  • Rewrite Speed
    24x
  • Drive Type
    CD-RW
FLOPPY DRIVE
  • Type
    3.5" 1.44 MB floppy
STORAGE REMOVABLE
  • Type
    none
HEADER
  • Brand
    Compaq
  • Product Line
    Compaq Presario
  • Model
    S5200NX
  • Localization
    English
  • Country Kits
    United States
  • Packaged Quantity
  • Compatibility
    PC
NETWORKING
  • Max Transfer Rate
    56 Kbps
  • Data Link Protocol
    Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
MONITOR
  • Monitor Type
    None.
SYSTEM
  • Type
    personal computer
  • Hard Drive Capacity
    120 GB
GRAPHICS CONTROLLER
  • Form Factor
    integrated
  • Graphics Processor
    Shared video memory (UMA)
  • Video Interfaces
    VGA
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
  • Width
    6.9 in
  • Depth
    14.6 in
  • Height
    16.6 in
CHASSIS
  • Form Factor
    tower
  • Manufacturer Form Factor
    tower
MANUFACTURER WARRANTY
  • Type
    1 year warranty
AUDIO OUTPUT
  • Form Factor
    integrated
  • Compliant Standards
    AC '97
MAINBOARD
  • Processor Socket
    Socket 478
EXPANSION / CONNECTIVITY
  • Bays
    2 (total) / 0 (free) x external 5.25" x 1/2H
    2 (total) / 1 (free) x internal 3.5" x 1/3H
    1 (total) / 0 (free) x external 3.5" x 1/3H
TELECOM
  • Modem
    Fax / modem
  • Protocols & Specifications
    ITU V.92
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
  • Form Factor
    tower
CLUSTER
  • Cluster Hard Drive
    none
POWER
  • Type
    power supply
OPERATING SYSTEM / SOFTWARE
  • OS Provided: Type
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
  • OS Provided
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
  • Type
    AOL, Norton Personal Firewall, Quicken 2003 New Users Edition, Quicken Financial Center, RealOne Player, WildTangent GameChannel, Yahoo! Essentials, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Drivers & Utilities, InterVideo WinDVD SE, Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Deluxe Online (1 year), Microsoft Money 2003, Microsoft Works, MusicMatch Jukebox, Norton AntiVirus 2003
VIDEO OUTPUT
  • Video Interfaces
    VGA
VIDEO MEMORY
  • Memory Allocation Technology
    shared video memory (UMA)
GENERAL
  • Manufacturer
    HP

#4 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

Those are cnet specs. wiki had nothing. ?? The computer I have for downloading anything is a windows 8 os, I have rufus and win32 disk imager. Every time I try to boot from ush hard drive on compaq it just goes to black screen. I have been to the bios system to make sure it boots from usb drive first. I can boot from cd drive as a factory setting as well. I just dont have a cd burner until I can get the compaq online. Windows Xp OS on compaq will not let me get online. The PC shows good internet connection thru ethernet port from cable modem(xfinity).

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

You did not follow my directions, the cnet is no good, it's better to know from within the pc, as per directions.  Copy Paste the Internal specs to a Document and save to USB, and then to your post from another computer.  Or even just write them down, we only need a few things as I stated early on.  Forget Ubuntu, it's way to Heavy for that pc with 512MB of RAM, if that is what is has.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/639237/compaq-presario-s5200nx-with-windows-xp/

Edited by whiskeyatom313, 06 February 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#7 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

check there please so i dont clutter this thread up any more

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:38 PM

Nothing has changed, post up the specs from XP.  One thing at a time.

I gave you the link above to download Lubuntu If you don't know which one to download choose this one.

Here is a link to a good USB Creator instead of Rufus, UUI, use this one and do all this in Windows 8.  I don't understand what you are saying about XP Not going online and the Ethernet.  If you can't get online with this pc maybe it is not worth putting Linux on?

You do not Copy the iso to the USB, you use the USB Installer to grab the iso from the folder it's in, Choosing "Browse" in the Installer to point the Installer to it.  Look at that page, it has some instructions.  If you have more questions about it just ask.

Edited by pcpunk, 06 February 2017 - 06:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

I just booted from my SD card with Lucid Puppy Linux. It booted great! It's pretty much the same as windows XP OS in regards to when I try to get online (type in www.google.com). It's saying it isn't secure. I thought running a different is would help out for sure with this issue. This may not be what you are asking for but it is my updated lol. Thanks for the interest so far tho. I can get you the specs from that if it helps. I can boot back up to do if needed so that you may/ can try to give me a better OS. Thanks again.
I just booted from my SD card with Lucid Puppy Linux. It booted great! It's pretty much the same as windows XP OS in regards to when I try to get online (type in www.google.com). It's saying it isn't secure. I thought running a different is would help out for sure with this issue. This may not be what you are asking for but it is my updated lol. Thanks for the interest so far tho. I can get you the specs from that if it helps. I can boot back up to do if needed so that you may/ can try to give me a better OS. Thanks again.

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:54 PM

Hi, whiskeyatom313.

Hm. You sound as though you're having a whale of a time..!

Re: Chrome on Puppy. This is nothing to do with Puppy, or any other OS come to that. The problem is at Google's end. It's all down to the fact that Google no longer support 32-bit Chrome.....but, with the architecture of your hardware, that's what you're stuck with, I'm afraid.

I run Lucid myself, along with 8 or 9 other Pups. Two are 64-bitzers, the rest are 32's. My rig runs an Athlon64 X2 dual-core, which means I can run either. I also have an even older Dell laptop, running a Pentium 4 in Socket 478...it used to have a Celeron itself. The Dell is triple-booting three 32-bit Pups.

Chrome in every single one of them is showing the Google page as being insecure. I don't take any notice of it. It's Google being 'over-the-top', as always; they would prefer you to run the 64-bit version. In your case, it's impractical; not only would you need to use a 64-bit Pup, but you'd need to get another machine, a 64-bit one, to run it on..!

Chrome 56 is the current 'stable' version; the newest Chrome you can run on Lucid is, I'm afraid, version 26. You can't run anything newer than that, because the 'C' library, which your entire 'Pup' is built around, is just too old. And you can't 'update' the glibc, as it's referred to, without completely breaking your Pup beyond repair! Every single component of Lucid would need to be re-compiled.....which is a horrendously major operation, even for a developer.

I'm going to make a couple of recommendations, here. That Celeron is perfectly capable of running them.

1) 'Precise' Puppy 5.7.1 (this is based on binaries from Ubuntu 'Precise Pangolin' 12.04 LTS.)

2) 'Slacko' 5.7.0 (this is based on 'Slackware', which is one of the oldest Linux distros still in existence. It forms a very stable base for many Puppies.)

Downloads from here:-

Precise

Slacko

If you get hold of these, I can guide you further from there.....if you're still interested, that is. Both of these are capable of running the very last 32-bit Linux Chrome build; 48.0.2564.116. It's still a very capable browser; I use it in all my 32-bit Pups.

Won't be till tomorrow, though; it's 2 am here in the UK, and I'm more than ready for bed.

Catch you later.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

So I got lucid puppy linux to boot from CD card. It was doing ok. A little different but a first as well so no wonder. I set chromium rather than Firefox. Idk why figured I could change it later. I got Google.com to come up, logged into my two accounts, and now everytime I try to do something its saying aw snap message. Thinking it's a ram issue I log out of both accounts and any/all other things running. Makes no difference. Still a solid aw snap message everytime. I was having a little trouble before but it would usually correct with a reload/refresh. I will look for and retrieve the files you mention Mike. Thanks for the detailed input no doubt based on ongoing experience with these "Dinos". Haha

#12 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

Ok! Rebooted with puppy linux and used firefox. Much smoother! Firefox reminds me of internet explorer. At least I will be ready for my sbc when it arrives haha. I still will try the other two. Now onto xbmc(Kodi). Mike➡ care to say what a decent graphcard I should get? Any one else for that matter? 👌

#13 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

I am also trying to figure out how to transfer this over to the PC itself. Make this to where I don't have to use the SD card anymore. This big ol' thang running off an SD card w/ reader just isn't right!!

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

You would certainly be best to create a swap partition on your computer's hard drive, since there is so little RAM. Swap is the equivalent of Windows virtual memory / paging file.

Unless there is enough unused space on your HDD, you would have to shrink your Windows partition in order to create a swap partition. While you're at it, I suggest making enough space for a Linux partition, which you can install Puppy to. A 2GiB partition is plenty for a single installation of Puppy, but I suggest making it considerably larger if you have enough space, so you can use it for saving files to as well.

This can all be done with GParted, which you will find in the menu in Puppy (probably under set-up).

It is always advisable to back up anything important before using partitioning software.

GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial

When shrinking a Windows partition, it is also advisable to boot into Windows and de-fragment it beforehand.

Edited by Al1000, 07 February 2017 - 03:53 AM.

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:41 AM

I agree with Al about needing a swap partition. Very essential, for any Linux OS. If there's any way you can squeeze, say, another half-gig of RAM in there, you'll have a much better experience generally.

The reason you can't sign into either of your accounts on Chrome/Chromium in Lucid is quite simple. Google haven't supported those versions for nearly 5 years!

They're also too old to access the App Store anymore. And since you can't sign in, you won't have your usual extensions, etc. As stated, Chrome for Lucid is at version 26. Chromium is even older.....only version 20.

FireFox should be OK as long as you don't try going too new; Lucid will have problems with the newer GTK-3.0 requirements from FF46 onwards. FF45 ESR (the Extended Support Release), is a good option. 

Either that or PaleMoon, which is a lightweight, retro 'fork' of FireFox. OR, (a personal favourite of mine for how fast it is on low-spec, elderly hardware) there's QtWeb browser.

http://www.qtweb.net/

Well worth a look, as long as you don't want to do anything major with your browser. It does have problems handling SSL certificates, unfortunately.....but apart from that, it's very speedy. Rather reminiscent of the old Netscape browser in layout.....much more 'modern' under the hood.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users