Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me editing audio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GustavoWoltmann016

GustavoWoltmann016

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:38 AM

Hi all,

I've been saving audio tapes on an external drive for a very long time. It is about 90GB. Now its very hard to handle. So, I want to add track info so that I can divide and rip individual audio tracks. I don't need a full audio suite.

Any recommendations for freeware or shareware that will do this? 

EqualizerPro Best Music Equalizer for Windows 7/8/10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 4,974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

I am not quite clear on exactly what your position is at  the moment, I understand where you want to go - individual tracks with identifying data on them.

Have a look at Audacity, quite a powerful free audio editor. I see the 2.1.2 version is now available, I must have a look at it as I have been using the 1.3 version for quite a long time.

http://www.audacityteam.org/

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 1,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hi all,

I've been saving audio tapes on an external drive for a very long time. It is about 90GB. Now its very hard to handle. So, I want to add track info so that I can divide and rip individual audio tracks. I don't need a full audio suite.

Any recommendations for freeware or shareware that will do this? 

You said rip, do you mean burn or transfer instead?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

hi,

i can advice the old but trusty cool edit (now is adobe audition)

if i am sure the cool edit can be founded for free (legal download)

cool edit was a truly professional program not much complicated i can say and i have worked a lot wit it till 2005, now i am working with audition

the program comes with some good effects as well but you will need something more like audio restoration effects to clean your sound that you have ripped from your analog cassettes

http://cool-edit-pro.soft32.com/free-download/

if you have ripped your audio as a long wave file then it not too difficult to divide that file (cut - split) in order to make individual tracks

watch some youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cool+edit+pro+cutting+tracks

the pdf manual for the cool edit

http://uits.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/CoolEdit_User.pdf

how to split large wave file with adobe audition (the same procedure with cool edit)

https://www.youtube.com/results?q=adobe+audition+how+to+split+large+wav+file

check the other videos on the right as well

good luck my friend

Edited by nickos, 18 February 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 4,974 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

I would be very careful with any 'free' download of of Cool Edit, now 'Adobe Audition'

Looking at other sources than the one linked to above I see most are 'Free to try' downloads with various pricing models quoted. Adobe themselves seem to want $US 17/mo for it and I have seen one other price of $US 399 for a one off purchase.

I also saw links for various 'cracks'. I cannot, and will not, suggest any of these as it against the rules of BC but I would point out that very many so-called cracks are full of malware.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

dear chris cosgrove,

your absolutely right with all that you have posted and please notice that i do not trying by any way to promote or to advice anybody to download any non legal software and i wish to make that clear

cool edit is a very old program and as far i know can be downloaded legally from he site i have mentioned in my previous post if not then i apologize and please delete my post

if you have any doubts about cool edit it is a good idea to contact adobe and i am sure they will tell you if the cool edit can be downloaded legally as a completely free version without any limitations or as a demo

the prices you have mentioned for adobe's audition are for different versions 

http://www.adobe.com/cy_en/products/audition.html

the only reason i have posted my reply to the forum was to tell to whom it may concern that the cool edit is a very good program since i was a cool edit user and the demo version i was working for a couple of years haven't had any major limitations

i hope that i have cleared the things

Edited by nickos, 19 February 2017 - 03:09 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 9,368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:11 AM

If you can locate a download anywhere for the original Cool Edit Free, it was a genuine free issue by Syntrillium of the base Version 1 (i.e. not Cool Edit Pro) which only allowed a limited number of the available functions to be used in each session. It worked very well, and by tailoring your operations per session, you could do anything the full program could do.

Apart from Cool Edit being pretty well laid out and straightforward to use, hard to see any advantage over Audacity now.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 4,974 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

I was not having a 'pop' at anybody in my #5. It's just that I had never heard of Cool Edit so I went looking for some information on it. It is not unusual for old products or superceded ones to be available as free downloads, but anything with Adobe's name attached is not usually free !  Flash etc. excluded.

As for the cracks that appear to be available these cannot be recommended. Partly because it is against the rules of BC, partly because you have no guarrantee that they are complete or will work properly, and also because they tend to be full of malware. My only direct experience of this was a few years ago when I downloaded a 'No-CD' crack for a game of which I owned a legal copy and I promptly installed a trojan on my system. Once bitten, twice shy.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 February 2017 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users