Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install 8.1

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:43 PM

Hey guys, I would like to Clean Install 8.1 on an HP-g7 laptop that was upgraded from 8 to 8.1.  I already have the Install disc but don't have a clue what I'm doing.  Don't have much experience with UEFI.  

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g7-2200-Notebook-PC-series/5296086/model/5317028/more-options

As I understand it will need a KMS Key to get through the initial install, and then use the Windows 8 Key to Activate it later? 

I guess the boot order also needs to be changed from within the OS as I have seen.  Don't understand how it would be done if one did not have an OS Installed?

Any help would be great, this install is not all that sharp.  I think it has some bugs due to the Upgrade but don't know if that is possible or not.  It also shuts down very slow, the power light stays on for quite a while before actual shutdown.

I've already ran CrystalDiskInfo and the HDD seems fine, along with a teardown and new Thermal Paste all seems to be good.  When I first got it, was overheating really bad, and seen that the cooling fins were 100% clogged up, so shut it down immediately.

Would like to install in GPT if possible, now it looks as though it is in NTFS, probably because it came with W8?

Thanks, pc 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:22 AM

pcpunk all you have to do is download the Windows 8.1, Update 1 media, and it'll pluck your COA right out of the UEFI firmware module. :)

Download Link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Note that a COA needed only if this is the first time Windows 8 or 8.1 has been installed, then you'll need a key. I encourage you to create a folder & download an ISO file at the prompt, you'll have to verify the ISO type (8.1) & then language for which type of media to download, and save to your external for future needs, as (just as with Windows 7) it may not always be freely available for OEM computers, you know how that goes. :)

Use Rufus to create the bootable ISO with your USB stick, make sure that it's selected for UEFI & GPT formatting, and sometimes will have to double check, may try to switch if it reverts to BIOS/MBR (or CSM). It'll then format the USB stick to the right type needed for UEFI. See at the top of the picture, second option, the filesystem for the USB stick? This is automatic, based on if one chooses MBR, or CSM (legacy) on a UEFI computer, say for Windows 7.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

The 64 bit version is 4.02GB in size, am downloading another (snapshot below) for the sake of it, both 64 & 32 bit. Plus already have the ISO on several externals for future needs, now will have another set. Be sure to use a download manager and there is no checksum hash. in case you're looking for one. NTFS is the filesystem, regardless of GPT or MBR formatting (kind of like EXT4 is with others) though a single FAT32 partition may be created & maybe what'll look to be a 'bare' partition (a few at the beginning of the partition table), and maybe a 450MB or so one at the end (Recovery). Just let the install media do it's thing, other than any custom size you want the OS to be.

ZpAY1Ot.png

h3k5Ear.png

As long as the HDD hasn't been initialized to MBR, then it'll still work fine with GPT. If it's been messed with, this can be fixed with MiniTool Partition Wizard, before the install, click the drive. There's an option to switch back to GPT. Hopefully the drive hasn't been messed with. :)

Good Luck with your project! :thumbsup:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 07 February 2017 - 03:52 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:13 AM

Clean install Windows 8.1

If you want GPT make sure UEFI mode is enabled in the UEFI settings and not Legacy or CSM boot. On a HP you can access your boot menu and diagnostics by tapping Esc at boot. 

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

Thanks John, love lifewire!  Don't expect a fast reply as I'm still thinking over some of this.  And, thinking of doing a W7 GPT, then dual booting with W8.1, using EasyBDC I think.  This, and my other Main two pc's need a good overhauling/reinstalling.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

I wonder why my 8.1 is running a little funky?  Is it possible that's it's because it's an Upgrade from 8.0?  This is the reason I'm wanting a Clean install.  Perhaps will run a system file check etc.  Already checked the HDD for psychical problems so don't know where to go from here except for the Clean reinstall.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:20 AM

I wonder why my 8.1 is running a little funky?  Is it possible that's it's because it's an Upgrade from 8.0?

pcpunk, your Topic header is: :)

Clean Install 8.1

Of which I gave you perfect advice & links to the downloads, all you need are the drivers for your computer to finish the job. :)

Nothing in your OP had to do with an upgrade, or upgrade install (50/50 shot at perfection). :P

Out of 4-5 upgrades from 8 to 8.1 installs, only one of mine ran close to 90% right, and that would continue to be the case with early W10 upgrades, of which I've performed many, it's gotten better as of the last 6-8 months.

If you download your drivers first & save to USB stick & anything that's important to you, that's all you'll need after the clean install. Not to worry about the installer, as long as you use Rufus & select UEFI/GPT (as long as that's what the computer shipped with), you're set. Won't even have to input a COA, if prompted, click 'skip this step' (or similar wording). Once the installer is through, you'll have a nicely installed Windows 8.1 on your computer & will self-activate. I've performed this more times than I can possibly count w/out troubles, at least 20 times, maybe closer to 30.

As to the EasyBCD, tried it on a UEFI system, didn't work for me. You can try if you wish, I had thought that was what version 2.3 was meant to address. Now I have a hunch as to why, the active partition on a UEFI system is one of those small ones, and one cannot alter that with EasyBCD (to my knowledge). You may want to ask someone over there, the creators of the software, how it works with a UEFI system (if at all). While the 2.3 release was to address Windows 10, that may had been assuming an old school BIOS/MBR system, rather than UEFI/GPT. :)

Good Luck with your clean install, as long as the COA is embedded in the UEFI, which if that type of system, there is an embedded one, you're good.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

I had the drivers and install media before I started this thread.

Out of 4-5 upgrades from 8 to 8.1 installs, only one of mine ran close to 90% right, and that would continue to be the case with early W10 upgrades, of which I've performed many, it's gotten better as of the last 6-8 months.

This was all I needed, and yes I mentioned the Upgrade in the OP.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:22 AM

OK I see now, did you perform the initial upgrade? 

If so, you now likely now why the majority are buggy at best, and at worst, one may have a lot of BSOD's. This is because by default, during the upgrade, Microsoft upgrades the original drivers with generic ones as part of the upgrade process. Usually (unless a totally botched upgrade), installing the newer, proper drivers fixes things, beginning with the chipset driver. Microsoft users whatever Intel or AMD drivers are available, not those customized for one's computer & may have required special features for things to run smoothly. 

One last tip on these machines, and don't worry, UEFI is simply the replacement for the 'BIOS', just as it replaced another technology 12-15 years earlier. That's simply technology evolving. Come another 12-15 years, there'll be a replacement for UEFI. Other than the name change, just run as one would normally run a computer. Though one thing needs to be disabled to prevent excessive wear & tear (feel across the bezel when 'shut down') & it'll be seen that it's not, often still quite warm. This is also an expensive battery killer, those for newer computers cannot be purchased refurbished for $20 or less on eBay. More like $100 & up, and some makes/models may reject rebuilt units that often has inferior cells compared to the original. If it were meant for computers to Sleep all the time, there would have been no 'Shutdown' option for years prior to Windows 8's release. Computers, like any other device, needs rest that can be achieved only by a full Shutdown, not a 'hybrid' one. 

It's all in the Power Settings to disable Fast Boot (link below), a gimmick to make users think that their computers 'boots' faster, when in fact, it's simply being awakened. 

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/

May as well also disable Hibernation, which should also in itself disable Fast Boot, though have always done the above before the second, so can't say for sure. Simply right click the Start Button (or type it in the Charms bar) & choose Command Prompt (Admin), will have to right click for Admin option from Charms Bar results & when the screen comes up, type in (copy/paste may not work if not exactly lined up) & press Enter:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Source, and the first paragraph (a warning), tells us why to disable Fast Boot before Hibernation, though if one desires, can leave Hibernation alone. Problem is it requires so much drive space, and if running a SSD. neither Hibernation nor System Restore are recommended to use. Use regular Sleep instead, this stores data in the RAM, where it belongs, the fastest storage one can have on our computers, hundreds of times as much with a regular HDD & 50x faster than most consumer oriented SSD's. :)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/920730/how-to-disable-and-re-enable-hibernation-on-a-computer-that-is-running-windows

Another tip, how to bring back the old fashioned way of entering Safe Mode (the 'F8' way) & how to reverse, the article speaks for itself (works for W10 also). 

http://lifehacker.com/bring-back-the-old-f8-safe-mode-shortcut-in-windows-8-577175460

There's lots more other tips, though have covered the more practical ones above. Should you install a SSD, you'll need to downsize the pagefile, if a Samsung, the 'tuning' software will do this for you as long as 'Maximum Performance' isn't chosen. Maximum Reliability or Capacity are the better power options that writes less data to disk, making it last much longer. In addition to automatically reducing the pagefile to a minimum of 200MB & max of 1024MB, and most anyone with SSD experience knows that a power plan with Hibernation is downright destructive to the drive (it's a huge write every time used), shaving years of life away for little to no visible gain. Using one of the others & Sleep as needed are all that one needs to do with a Samsung SSD, the most popular brand on the planet. 

Though stay as far away from the 750 EVO's as possible, for just a few more bucks, can get a 850 EVO with a 2 year longer warranty & longer lifespan (measured in TBW). :)

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 21 February 2017 - 05:37 AM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

What the heck, is M.S. Forcing me to have an account?  After I chose "Customize Settings" and tried to move forward it would not let me.  Finally Backed up and chose "Express Settings" and even tried to use my current M.S. account but it took too long for them to send me the Security Code, I was somehow able to move forward, what a hassle.  Is it that M.S. Don't  want people changing those Settings?  I've setup a few pc's but always chose Express Settings and idd not run into this.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

Note: My Bad, rookie mistake, bad Post.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 February 2017 - 09:49 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Will someone tell me what would be the best procedure, Install Drivers first, or Search for Updates first then do the Drivers?

pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

Can some one help me with Update problems?

I installed the Service Stack and then the Rollup but it kept searching for updates for two hours.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:36 AM

Will someone tell me what would be the best procedure, Install Drivers first, or Search for Updates first then do the Drivers?

pc

pcpunk, drivers always comes first, though sometimes Windows Update will still try & force 'newer' drivers during the update process. Though you can change that setting (2nd link may be more helpful than first). :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2165451/dont-windows-windows-automatically-download-device-drivers-icons.html

http://ccm.net/faq/35640-prevent-windows-8-1-from-automatically-installing-new-drivers

New drivers should come from the OEM only, with the exception of graphics drivers, if it's an Intel based computer, a newer version will often be installed for Intel HD Graphics, which is acceptable & good. Remember, with Windows 8.1, you still have control over updates, on W10 you don't have as much choice unless workarounds are used. :)

If a discrete NVIDIA or AMD GPU is installed, you can find the latest driver on their sites (NVIDIA is much easier to work with), AMD may require certain updates to be installed prior to updating graphics drivers. 

BTW, you could had created a Local account if you wanted, plus using Express Settings, you've outright handed Microsoft permission to monitor your activity (Web searches & other activities), under the disguise of spellcheck. This means that your browser usage will be sent to Microsoft, no matter which one is used. I always choose Custom Settings to prevent these activities & opt out of the CEIP program (telemetry). Though still some updates will still have Telemetry components in these, I refuse to openly give Microsoft express permission to monitor my Web activities. 

I installed the Service Stack and then the Rollup but it kept searching for updates for two hours.

Check out this article for assistance for your OS, and follow instructions given. Note that some of these tools may take what seems to be a long time to run. This is normal, and doesn't matter if one has a SSD or HDD, the process simply takes time, can be 3-4 hours. These will look like as though hanging & finally you'll get a notice, 'do you want to install this update or hotfix' (or similar wording). There'll be a KB number listed in the box when you normally click 'Yes'. If there's no KB number listed, click NO, though I've yet to run into that situation. Don't have any AV installed during updating, Windows Defender is already protecting you until you've installed drivers & fully updated, and may afterwards desire a 3rd party one that uses less resources.

https://www.howisolve.com/checking-for-updates-stuck-solved-windows-7-sp-1-8-1-10/

As to the Express Settings you chose earlier, it's your choice. If it were myself, I'd perform a reinstall & go through the Custom Settings closely, if you've not installed any software or updated yet. Click 'No' to those that openly says these are sending your data to Microsoft & click though each page slow, reading every choice, that is, if you value your privacy. :)

Hope this is helpful! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 February 2017 - 05:54 AM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

BTW, you could had created a Local account if you wanted, plus using Express Settings

I'm pretty sure I created a "Local" Account.  The issue was, it would not let me do that, and after some keyboard banging things worked out.

What the heck, is M.S. Forcing me to have an account?  After I chose "Customize Settings" and tried to move forward it would not let me.  Finally Backed up and chose "Express Settings" and even tried to use my current M.S. account but it took too long for them to send me the Security Code, I was somehow able to move forward, what a hassle.  Is it that M.S. Don't  want people changing those Settings?  I've setup a few pc's but always chose Express Settings and idd not run into this.

Tried Custom cat?  I think some of this is due to using the Retail Image, or just the lack of service 8.1 gets these days, I don't know for sure.  My image is not all that old and got it straight from the MS site.  Did a Toshiba OEM Install not long ago on another pc and just Updated with no issues?  I think M.S. Strong-armed me LOL...who knows, but something was not right.  When I chose Custom, it would not let me advance unless I entered my account, the the top of my head flew off, then I backed up etc. and finally got an install going.

I am liking 8.1 though cat, very nice.  Have not even installed the Classic Shell as many do.  On this pc, it runs pretty fast.  For now just need something to word with.  Got the Updates going with some googling.  I thought it would all go smoothly as the last one did, haha to that.

I played around with Drivers, some installed from the HP Site, and were actually older than the one M.S. Had installed by default.  Yes, the AMD Chipset and Display driver required the Updates, but I did get the current ones from AMD, even if I didn't really need them.  Funky as 8.1 is I don't mind it all that much.

Thanks cat, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:11 AM

When I chose Custom, it would not let me advance unless I entered my account, the the top of my head flew off, then I backed up etc. and finally got an install going.

While I don't know about today, just 5-6 months back, cleaned installed W8.1 for a relative with the latest media that includes Update 1, the only media that works to upgrade original OEM Windows 8 installs, w/o having to enter a COA, nor create an account, other than the usual Local one (like Windows 7). Not being signed into a Microsoft Account, specifically. :)

That option is kind of hard to find, it's exactly like this below, it looks like you're going for the Microsoft Account at first, then you have the option to opt out for a Local Account. Bookmark this page for future reference. The pictures explains it all. :thumbsup:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-local-account-windows-8-1/

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 27 February 2017 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users