Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for upgrade advice

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 addievt

addievt

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

Hey guys thanks for checking out my problem.

I've already looked into what I'm running, and what I think is a good upgrade lineup. Basically if you disagree, let me know why, and what should I change.

I'm trying to keep it as close to $300 as possible, but $400 is my hard limit.

Specs:

Planned Upgrade: (edited, see discussion)

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Edited by addievt, 06 February 2017 - 05:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

Hello addievt welcome to bleeping :hello:.

First I would not see the sense in upgrading from one AMD 760g motherboard to another 760gh have the same memory restrictions. I mean 16GB even if it's running at 1333 is "ok". Not sure if you have the USB3 model of that Gigabyte board but if you do - what I would do in your situation is go ahead and upgrade to the GTX 1060 but also consider the AMD RX 470 it's a heck of a card for the money, and later on transfer your parts to an AMD 970 chipset, or 990fx shipset motherboard where you ram will run @ DDR3 1866 and would also take the upgrade to an FX 8320 or FX 8350 just fine with better power phasing for a higher TDP (125w) AMD processor . We have some members with great hardware experience who may also offer some options and opinions as well. 

#3 addievt

addievt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:57 AM

Thank you for the reply! I had no idea what AMD card was comparable to the GTX 1060 so thank you for that recommendation, I'll probably go with that!

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

Changing motherboard just to get bit faster RAM is waste of money. Performance difference between DDR3-1333/DDR3-1600/DDR3-1866 is barely noticeable.

Why watercooling? Overclocking?

I agree with RX470.

What PSU?

#5 addievt

addievt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Liquid cooling because stock fan is way too loud.

Definitely going with the AMD graphics, possibly the ROG Strix RX480.

PSU: I'm running a 450w, so I'm fairly certain I have to upgrade that. Thinking eVGA 700B.

One thing I didn't think was going to be an issue was adding a capture card (PCIe).

The only PCIe slot is blocked by the graphics card, I've picked out the Asus 970 Pro gaming.

This way here, at least it's an upgrade and I won't just be buying a board for a better slot layout.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Bla mini boards, thats why i all way get full ATX boards or if i can even biger then that.

Not shoure the Asus 970 Pro gaming is my stile but its better at lest on the slot topic.

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

Any base H110/150 mainboard and any recently manufactured (last 1 or 2 generations) of inexpensive i3 or i5 processors will outframe all AMD builds in gaming framerates. (Not much good in achieving 4.8 GHz OC clock speed if your system is then outframed by stock clocked i3-based rigs....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:54 AM

Stock fan is loud but silent air cooler is good enough and much cheaper than liquid cooling.

Any base H110/150 mainboard and any recently manufactured (last 1 or 2 generations) of inexpensive i3 or i5 processors will outframe all AMD builds in gaming framerates. (Not much good in achieving 4.8 GHz OC clock speed if your system is then outframed by stock clocked i3-based rigs....

No i3 has chance against overclocked FX-6300 except on light threaded software.

i3 and i5 CPU's are so expensive that budget is not enough for them anyway.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

Well from 5 or 6 years ago in this review it keeps up with some end of life I3 cpu.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57615-amd-vishera-fx-6300-fx-4300-review.html

This review was interesting as well, its from 2012 and it makes the AMD FX cpus look good, funny thing is when you get to the real world gaming benchmarks, you can see that more then 4 cores is doing nothing for gaming.

untitled_19.png

5545_fc2_threaded.png

As you can see here more then 3 cores is pointless.

untitled_20.png

5545_crys_thread1.png

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8350-8320-6300-processor-4300-performance-review,1.html

Then you have this -_-

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-pentium-g4560-budget-cpu-king-review

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/239/AMD_FX-Series_FX-4300_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G4520.html

All the AMD FX cpus lose to the Kaby Lake Pentium G4560 for gaming and its cheaper and you can upgrade to a better I7 down the road with out changing to a new motherboard or your ram, sadly i can't recommend AMD FX cpu at the moment for a new on the cheap gaming system, if you are going AMD FX and your set on this topic for gaming i would get the FX 4350 with a good cooler and punch the mgz to the max, less cores = less heat and for gaming like i pointed out more then 4 cores is pointless, meaning i don't care for gaming about a 8 core FX cpu i would go 4 cores at peek mgz.

Watch your motherboard VRM setup as well if your going to overclock a FX cpu, the heat levels and watts a FX cpu will start to crate will become epic.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113326

i3 and i5 CPU's are so expensive that budget is not enough for them anyway.

Quote sources please drillingmachine ........

#10 addievt

addievt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

Ive had the fx for several years and am just trying to do a half-life upgrade. As much as i would like a kaby lake system i wouldnt want to spend less than $350 for the processor itself. Also thanks drillingmachine i'll check out some other fans.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

Quote sources please drillingmachine ........

AMD FX cpus look good, funny thing is when you get to the real world gaming benchmarks, you can see that more then 4 cores is doing nothing for gaming.

So basically you proved right what I said. Thanks but that's something I already knew. Your Kaby Lake have no chance against even stock FX-6300 except on lightly threaded software http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/241/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6300_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G4520.html

And speaking about "real world gaming benchmarks" what you talked about:

- Far Cry 2 benchmarks does not reflect to real world Far Cry 2 playing situation (First Person Shooter vs floating camera). Yes, I have played Far Cry 2 a lot and even modded it many times.

- Benchmarks are NOT done on real world situation (no internet connection, no antivirus, no other background software, clean Windows install...)

So if you want to talk about real world gaming, forget benchmarks.

Ive had the fx for several years and am just trying to do a half-life upgrade. As much as i would like a kaby lake system i wouldnt want to spend less than $350 for the processor itself. Also thanks drillingmachine i'll check out some other fans.

Just make sure cooler/fan is low enough to fit on your case. Case specifications usually tell how tall CPU cooler fits.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hey guys thanks for checking out my problem.

I've already looked into what I'm running, and what I think is a good upgrade lineup. Basically if you disagree, let me know why, and what should I change.

I'm trying to keep it as close to $300 as possible, but $400 is my hard limit.

Specs:

Planned Upgrade: (edited, see discussion)

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

I see, i was under the impression you were going to replace the gigabite board with a asus board and if thats the case their no point at this time to spend cash on a AM3+ setup unless of corse were just changing out the cpu or something then i understand, and a FX quad core 4200mgz is faster then a 6 core at 3500mgz for gaming.

So basically you proved right what I said. Thanks but that's something I already knew. Your Kaby Lake have no chance against even stock FX-6300 except on lightly threaded software

Ya and that means every game ever made to date, i have more cpu cores too sitting on a shelf, their about as usefull for my system in real time use as your cores are past 4 for gaming on your system.

So if you want to talk about real world gaming, forget benchmarks.

How would you recomend knowing what cpu is better then the other ?

#13 addievt

addievt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yeah I get where you're coming from shadow, the new board will let me use the same CPU and RAM, while allowing me to add the PCIe capture card. For the same price I could just start a new build but if I did I'd have to stick with the GTX 750, and that's the one thing I really need upgraded.

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

Right, guess i missed some of what you were saying in this thred,oups guess i was off topic some, you know you might be able to get a capture card in pci 32bit format used for cheap, don't know if that fixs your problem though.

They have some here in pci 32bit format though my self id go used parts to save a buck.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A%21493964%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A193870011%2Cn%3A6795230011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A8069251011&bbn=6795230011&ie=UTF8&qid=1486496075

#15 addievt

addievt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

Probably gonna go with the Elgato HD60 or the AverMedia Live Gamer HD, used like you said to save a couple bucks.

After the RX 470 recommendation my problem was pretty much solved, but I appreciate everyone's input, and it's all good information for when I start a new build!

As far as the motherboard is concerned this is the problem:

tNEConB.png?1

Basically either forcing me to change the board or get a USB capture card, although cheaper, I'm not really ok with the inherited delay.

That being said getting another board with the same chipset is a very viable and cheaper option than the Asus board I listed.

Edit: Does any one have experience with PCI-E relocating cables? Such as this PCI-E 1x Riser Card Extender. It looks promising, and way cheaper than replacing the board!

Edited by addievt, 07 February 2017 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users