Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How do I wipe an external HD with DBan?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rnova

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

This shouldn't be this difficult but here's the problem. I have a HD from a Lenovo Thinkpad that I want to completely wipe with DBAN, which I've been trying to do through various Dell desktops and laptops. None of the Dell's will recognize this HD when I swap them out internally. I am able to access this harddrive through a USB SATA cable, but I cannot boot the HD that came out of the Lenovo, and thus I am unable to use DBAN on this harddrive. I think its a compatibility issue with the hardware on the Dell's I've been using and the HD that came out of the Lenovo Thinkpad, it just wont work, when I try to boot this hard drive in a Dell i get the message media check [failed], it seems this hard drive wont boot in anything except a Lenovo. I've been googling this for a few days and I cant find a solution.

I could use CCleaner's drive wipe option, but I don't trust it as much as I do DBAN. So what are my options? I want to do 7 passes on this drive and install linux and make it usable in a Dell. 

Edited by Rnova, 05 February 2017 - 09:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,133 posts
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

Download and install Partition Wizard to the computer you will be attaching the HDD to using the USB adapter. Run Partition Wizard and do a disk wipe using your preferred method. I would not bother with anything past 3 passes. On modern drives one pass is sufficient but select the one you are most comfortable with.

Make sure you are selecting the correct disk in Partition Wizard.

Edit: All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual so the operation will not start until Apply is clicked.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 February 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#3 NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,053 posts
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

I want to do 7 passes on this drive and install linux and make it usable in a Dell.

IMO its a waste of time especially if you are installing Linux. What I would do is boot the PC from a Live distro and use Gparted to delete the partitions on said drive then reformat it in ext 3 or 4. Even that is un necessary IMO as the Linux installer can do it for you

If you need help with the above please start a new post in the Linux & Unix section.

Edited by NickAu, 05 February 2017 - 09:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users