Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot because of blank recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShellySays

ShellySays

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hello, 

I was attempting to go from Windows 10 Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium (the original operating system). While attempting to use HP Recovery System, it attempted to boot the recovery partition. I unfortunately was unaware that Windows 10 had wiped my recovery partition? So basically my recovery partition was changed to the "boot from" partition and because it is wiped my computer has nothing to boot. I got this computer after the point in time when HP would send recovery disks. I have a 2nd computer that runs so I was thinking about trying to get the ISO for my 1st computer (A) and hopefully create a recovery disk on my 64GB flashdrive from computer 2 (B ). However every time I attempt to do so on Computer B it tries to make recovery disks for that computer, which from my understanding would not work as they are not the same model HP laptops.

I have an HP Envy Sleekbook CTO 4t-1000 (model) Product code (A9G60AV). (I will not post my serial # or Windows product key for obvious reasons)

4GB RAM

i5 processor (I believe 1st or 2nd gen)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I did attempt to get the ISO from Microsoft but because the computer is an HP and the product key is on the bottom of my laptop (still legible) they said I would need to get it from HP. 

I am fairly computer literate, but this issue is a tad beyond my knowledge level. I am comfortable booting from external sources and with installing operating systems I am just struggling to resolve this one. I put this under the "Internal Hardware" forum because my brother mentioned there may be a way for me to switch partitions? If I need to repost this to Operating Systems, I apologize and will do so. 

If you need more information feel free to ask questions. I greatly appreciate any help!!! Thank you in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

Use the Windows iso Downloader tool here. Your AV may flag it but it's a false positive. When you run the tool it takes a bit before you get the screen to pick your version. Use the key located on the COA sticker. You will need to use phone activation after install. You will also need to install some drivers like wifi after install.

#3 ShellySays

ShellySays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Great thank you! How do I get my computer to load it? Is there a way to "install" the ISO on the jump drive? windows 10 is still on my computer but until the partition is switched back there's nothing to boot so I need the external.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Use Rufus with the USB flash drive to make it bootable. After creating the install USB attach it to the computer then tap F9 to bring up the boot menu to select the USB flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. If FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Windows 7 iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Clean installing Windows 7

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

Edit: Can you please do the following? Open a command prompt and type the following commands

diskpart    Opens the diskpart command window

list disk      

Is there an asterisk under the GPT heading?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 February 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

If you cant get the Windows 7 install to work. You can always reload Windows 10. Once you upgrade for the first time, your system is digitally licensed. You wont need a product key.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 ShellySays

ShellySays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

JohnC_21 you are a life saver! I was able to go to "repair computer" and under command prompt reset the computer. I am back up and running, thank you thank you thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users