Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell OptiPlex 790 C:\ drive loses memory for no reason

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Greg1001

Greg1001

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hi.  Been having this problem for a while.  Running Windows 7.  The C:\ drive available memory just keeps getting smaller over time.  Now down to a MB or two or sometimes down to zero.  Moved some files to my D:\ drive last weekend and got 1GB of memory back on the C:\drive but it has leaked over the past week and I'm back to just a few MB's.  I haven't saved any files or documents on the C:\ drive in the last week so I don't know what's sucking up the memory.  I have tried restarting, Disk cleanup, Defragging, deleting temp files, all to no avail.  Have Webroot installed and working and have also run Malware Bytes, Avast and TDSSKiller and all have come up empty on viruses (doesn't mean I don't have one though, just that they can't find them). Ran CHKDSK and it tells me that all my available memory is about gone - yep, I knew that.  Moved my System Restore to the D:\ drive a while back.  Large files other than Windows 7 on my C:\ drive are in the Apps\osmedia\sources and Users\(local name of my computer file)\appdata files, which are already compressed.  Really stumped how to fix the problem.  Have plenty of RAM available but real problems now that the C:\ drive is so low on available memory.  Any ideas how to fix this problem?  Thanks for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

Drives...are storage facilities...they only provided storage room.  So your problem seems to be that you either need a larger hard drive or you need to move data files (not programs) from the C: drive/partition.  There is no logical reason for data files to be on the C: partition/drive and it's important that Windows have sufficient room on the C: partition...to work properly.

Lou

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Make sure System Backup is not enabled. Disable and delete old backups.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/618-backup-files-schedule-turn-off.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/628-backup-user-system-files-delete-backups.html

#4 Greg1001

Greg1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Lou and JohnC_21 for responding.  Just a couple of things, first the C:\ drive is a totally separate hard drive from my D:\ solid state drive.  System backup is enabled but it only saves to the D:\ drive.  All my old System Restore files are on the D:\ drive.  What is happening to the C:\ drive is like the old Pac Man game.  Somehow, without me saving any files, I just lose space on the C:\drive.  Something is eating it up, without me saving any files to the drive.  I use Tools to delete browsing history but that doesn't help much because I do it all the time now.  I have moved a lot of data files from my C:\ drive to my D:\drive and when I do, I get some memory back on the C:\ drive but over a few days or a week - without me saving anything on that drive - I gradually lose the memory.  Any ideas?  Any other files I could move from the C:\drive?  I listed the larger ones in my previous post.  This problem is crippling my machine since I'm down to 1 or 2 MB or zero MB on the C:\ drive.  Would appreciate any ideas.  Thanks.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

You can run WinDirStat or SpaceSniffer. It may give you a clue on what is taking up your space.

#6 Greg1001

Greg1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

Thanks JohnC_21.

I ran SpaceSniffer and found two large files on my C:\ drive that I don't know that I need.  One is named CBS or actually CBS Persist with various subfiles.  It's 13.9 GB.  The other is hiberfil.sys and it's 11.9 GB.  This latter one is a hibernation file I think.  Can I delete it and turn it off?  What about the CBS Persist file?  Can I delete that file?  How would I safely handle both of these issues?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

The CBS folder contains log files and can be deleted. See this BC thread. 

You can disable hibernation in Windows 7. If you have a laptop you may want to keep it enabled as it is used if the battery power gets to a level where the computer shuts down. It allows you to boot back to where you were before the shutdown.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

#8 Greg1001

Greg1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

JohnC_21

Thanks, worked great.  I have my space back.  Appreciate your time with this fix.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

No problem, glad to have helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users