Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which PSU is compatible with i7-6700k?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mirstro

Mirstro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

Hi,
I have been trying to get my PC to boot for ages now only to recently discover that the problem lay with the PSU, not my motherboard. I have asked so many people but no one seems to be able to recommend a suitable PSU for my build. I would really appreciate any suggestions or help with this issue, thanks!
Specs:
intel core i7-6700k
GTX 1080
Asus Z-170 deluxe mobo
corsair vengeance 16GB RAM
corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus STX soundcard II
LG OS drive
PSU (incompatible): EVGA Supernova 850w
I have calculated the approximate wattage needed for the system which is around 450-500w

If anyone could suggest a PSU compatible with this build I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XF2000

XF2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

Hi, I know i'm new, but,

Why is the Supernova incompatible? What is the issue?

I can suggest many for that build, even a 50$ cheap one.

I can see no reason why it will not work, unless it is faulty, you will need to test it.

Cheers.

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Welcome to BC Mirstro!

As XF2000 posted above, why is the Supernova incompatible? There shouldn't be any issue with it not working.

You should be able to get any standard PSU and have it work for your build. The one thing I would suggest is getting something along the lines of 700 to 750 watts. Even though you may only need 500 having more is always good. It allows for future upgrading, and also helps in the longevity of the PSU.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 CFDNRO

CFDNRO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:49 PM

Hi Mirstro,

As said above in a couple of replies, your power supply shouldn't be incompatible if it's the same "socket". The only other thing I would recommend is take into consideration the brand, model, "ratings (Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platnium etc.)" and the overall wattage as well - I've got a EVGA Supernova P2 1000 watt power supply with the below build (a bit similar to yours):

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula IV

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance (1600 MHz)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT

Graphics Card: Asus Strix 980Ti OCO3

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo Pro 512GB

Never had a problem with it but I wouldn't go for anything with less wattage that's not platinum "rated" with a good build. I'd recommend Corsair's AXi range for performance, or the EVGA Supernova P2 for budget and performance.

To summarize the power supply you listed above shouldn't have a problem with your build but I would go for a slightly better rated one with more wattage to ensuer there is enough power going to all components and performing as it should be.

Let me know if you need any help with this.

Thanks,

Dylan

Edited by CFDNRO, 10 February 2017 - 01:59 AM.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

You can just use something like this to get a basic idea of what you need, its not bang on but it still gives you a good idea of what to get,as well its never a bad idea to get a little more then you need in case you need it down the road and or to make the psu last longer.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users