Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario S5200NX with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Okay!!!! So I recieved this desktop for free. I am currently trying to run Ubuntu from an SD card. I have a 16GB card. I have already been into the bios system to read from the card reader. I didn't get anything. I am now re writing a new iso file for a 32 bit. I belive the first was a 64 bit. I just want to get this desktop online. Windows xp runs good now on that desktop. It will not connect to the internet other than microsoft/msn. No other sites. I believe it had a virus before. I reset it back to factory. Now I'm here. Sorry if this is not making sense due to my incorrect chronological listing of events lol. I am downloading everything from a windows 8 desktop. Also if anyone cares to throw in some opinions on a graphics upgrade that would be great too. 

I am also waiting for my raspi to come too. I will need an os for that too. I would like to run the same thing. So hopefully this info will help with a smooth process for that as well. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

To clarify I did go into the bios system to read from the card reader first and all I got was a black screen. Lol This is why I am re-attempting with a 32-bit. I dont even know if this will make a difference tho.

#3 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Also I have the Win32 diskimager, utorrent 3.4.9 Beta, and rufus 2.12.1054. 

Edited by whiskeyatom313, 05 February 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#4 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

Ok so I have tried writing to the sd card twice. Once with win32, which said it was successful. And once with rufus, also saying it was successful. Each time I have went back and checked my files for the card. There isn't anything showing up. Is this because the write wasn't successful? Or is this because of the file type itself (hidden maybe)? IDK. What is going wrong as this is suppose to be a fairly simple process, LOL?!?!! WTH!!

Edited by whiskeyatom313, 05 February 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#5 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

AHHH!!! I need some "BLEEPING" help people!!!  :wink:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

I am not sure the Compaq supports booting off a SD card. Have you tried rufus with a USB flash drive? Attach the flash drive. Boot and tap Esc or F9 to bring up a boot menu to select your boot device. 

Make sure USB boot is the first boot device in the BIOS settings. If this computer only has 512MB of ram per the specs I would go with something smaller like Puppy linux.

For older computers go with LucidPuppy

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

Is the CD drive functional? You can burn the puppy iso to CD using Imgburn.

#7 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

It gives me the option in setup under primary driver/main driver, idrc. I have tried booting off of linuxubuntu. To no avail. yes the cd drive is functional for the compaq. I didnt want to purchase a cd tho but if that is my only case then i guess i will have to. The only way I can get the files onto the sd is to copy them from downloaded to documents then to the usb drive(sd card). Every time I use rufus or win32 diskimager it never shows up on my sd card. But either way when I attempt to boot from the usb drive/ sd card the screen always just goes black. Its acting like it isnt even reading the usb. I want to take windows xp off and just run a linux os. This desktop has 512 ram, 120gb hdd, 2.7 ghz. Yeah I know ancient!!! I understand windows xp isn't supported anymore. I cant get online with this pc. I am using ethernet internet from modem hooked up to coax cable. I plan to upgrade the ram already and I'm searchng for advice on better graphics. But my main problem is the outdated os!!!!

#8 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:28 PM

Is 32bit better for this pc?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

FWIW:  Related topic, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/639268/ubuntu-presario-s5200nx/#entry4174619 .

Louis

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Do you have a USB flash drive? As I previously posted, the older Compaq may not be able to boot from an SD card. I have a older Emachines that does not support booting from USB. Perhaps this thread should be locked and continued in your other thread.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 February 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#11 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

I have a usb card reader with sd card. The BIOS sysytem will let me, under the boot menu, choose between the main hdd or the usb hard drive. I tried to run ubuntu 16 and 14. neither one worked. both 64 and 32? I care nothing about keeping windows xp. My cd disc drive works. I guess I could always buy a cd as i dont have a way to burn one just yet (when the compaq presario gets online I will). the class of my sd card are 10 so thats not an issue. The compaq also is saying it is connected to the internet as well. Internet Explorer will not load anything tho. Puppy is the route to go?     

Edited by whiskeyatom313, 06 February 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#12 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Im pretty sure it can be booted from usb. I have to copy the iso file to my documents before it ever shows up on the usb drive folders? It never shows up on the usb drive folders if i use rufus or win32?!    *update*   I just right clicked the puppy iso file  located in my downloads (of course) and sent it to my sd card. Is this a bootable or is this why I am having trouble booting from it lol? 

Edited by whiskeyatom313, 06 February 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

How did you use the iso with Rufus?

Use the Puppy iso I linked to in post #6

Rufus Instructions:

Download Rufus to your desktop and double click the exe file after attaching your USB flash drive. Make sure your flash drive is listed in the first box.Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. If FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Puppy iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

#14 whiskeyatom313

whiskeyatom313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

ok all went well with rufus. I hope. If so after the computer boots from usb anything i need to know?

Thanks for the help btw!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

No problem. If are able to boot Puppy then head back to the linux forum thread and post you were able to boot Puppy and would liked advice on how to proceed. If Puppy boots then you may want to check Mint Xfce. It should run okay on 512MB. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_xfce_whatsnew.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users