Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free version of Malwarebytes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fixitmom

Fixitmom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Hi folks,

Eons ago (it seems) you kind folks were able to direct me to Mawarebytes for removal of some particularly nasty malware.  I upgraded to the paid version, but my computer kept crashing, so had to uninstall. 

I've once again installed what I thought was a free version of it, but am getting prompted to pay for it.  Does anyone know if a truly free version of Malwarebytes exists and if so where?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2017 - 04:53 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,572 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hello, it's only a free trial now.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

If you continue to have trouble with the paid app start a ticket, they will help you

https://support.malwarebytes.com/?b_id=6400

Edited by boopme, 05 February 2017 - 03:47 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

They still have the free version:

“Malwarebytes 3.0” is the official name of the product, replacing the “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware” and “Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit” products. Malwarebytes 3.0 comes in Premium, Trial and Free mode.  “Premium” indicates that the user has a paid subscription. “Trial” mode indicates that that a Premium Trial is in progress, and “Free” mode indicates that only the unpaid features are enabled.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191650-malwarebytes-30-frequently-asked-questions/#comment-1077437

Also, if you already paid, create a support ticket as @boopme mentioned

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hello, it's only a free trial now.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

If you continue to have trouble with the paid app start a ticket, they will help you

https://support.malwarebytes.com/?b_id=6400

After the trial it's still free but they have changed the UI some and where you have to actually disable the paid version to properly use the free version but it's not in an obvious place where you disable it for further free use. Kind of tricky but it's still free.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:51 PM

Malwarebytes 3.0 comes in Premium and Free versions which supports all Windows versions from XP to Windows 10. There is no difference between the Free, Trial and Premium download files. The installer/setup for all three are the same. If you are installing for the first time during the install, it will ask if you want a 14-day trial mode. After the trial you can choose to continue using Free or upgrade to paid Premium. The free version of Malwarebytes 3.0 does not include real-time protection in its freeware mode...it is only an advanced on-demand cleaner that detects and removes malware when you run a scan.Malwarebytes 2.x is still available and can be downloaded from here
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Fixitmom

Fixitmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

Thanks to all for the replies! 

Now I'm wondering, is Malware Bytes the best program out there?  It's a bit pricey for my budget.

Thanks again!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium.

#8 Fixitmom

Fixitmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

Thanks so very much!  I went to that page and read about the programs that mentioned malware cleanup, but do any of them offer real-time monitoring like the pro version of Malwarebytes does?  Just wondering if anyone knows about this off-hand.

Thanks again!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Paid versions of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Zemana AntiMalware, SUPERAntiSypware all offer real-time protection. Of those three I would recommend Emsisoft.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users