Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Onboard Video Card

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kaws

kaws

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

Hey everyone, sorry if i posted this in an inappropriate section.

Anyways, I recently bought a new harddrive and a fresh OS for my current box. Everything iis successful, except for the fact i have the plainest graphics ever. It's running 4 bit color, 480x680 resolution. Here are the specs of my comp

HP pavilion 752n
Windows XP home edition SP2
512MB RAM
120GB seagate harddrive.

I looked up the specs of other models like it, and it says that this computer has an Nvidia Geforce4 MX 420 video card. I looked inside, and i dont see one in the PCI slots, or any other cards for that matter. A friend of mine hooked me up with an ATI radeon 9200se, but it doesnt fit in any of the slots. I ran Direct X diagnostic, and it shows i have nothing installed. I went into BIOS and changed the Video adapter setting from PCI to VGA something, and something from 1MB to 8MB. Someone please help me with this.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

My oldest son has an HP 750n - it has onboard graphics. I've had problems with both the HP and the Microsoft drivers on it. Try the drivers for the card from http://www.nvidia.com/ You must install video drivers in order for the card to work.

Set the video to AGP - don't think it'll make a difference. What did you set to 8 mB? Messing around in the BIOS without knowing what you're doing can result in your computer not even starting - are you willing to take that risk?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:42 PM

thanks for your input above. The thing i changed from 1MB to 8MB was the onboard video memory, in hopes of it working.

Posted Image

Im currently trying to get this one

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.47.html

but im unable to access it >_<.

all other advice is appreciated :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

That's the right link - what sort of error message do you get? I was able to access the site and got the download started without any problems.

The change from 1 to 8 mB won't hurt the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:01 AM

I dont get an error message, there are just some sites that dont work for me. eBay and myspace are some that just dont at all. I guess im just unlucky that the download site doesnt work

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:05 AM

Use IE to accomplish the download - not mozilla or firefoc.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:10 AM

These are the video boards the mb will support:

Integrated into Chipset, No AGP slot
Video graphics
TNT2-M64 with 32MB SDR

HP Pavilion 750n Desktop PC - Product Specifications
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=bph07045

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 September 2006 - 03:17 AM.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:27 AM

dont get an error message, there are just some sites that dont work for me. eBay and myspace are some that just dont at all. I guess im just unlucky that the download site doesnt work

I get that sometimes, it\'s my ISP (hey, it\'s free so I can\'t complain)

I get around it by using a proxy browser. Try www.goproxy.com

#9 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:55 PM

These are the video boards the mb will support:

Integrated into Chipset, No AGP slot
Video graphics
TNT2-M64 with 32MB SDR

HP Pavilion 750n Desktop PC - Product Specifications
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=bph07045

what does that have to do with anything?

Anyways, I had a friend DL the driver thing from the site, and he sent it to me. It goes through extracting the files, but then i end up with this error

Posted Image

any more suggestions?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:02 AM

If you looked at the link Enthusiast provided you, you will see that you have the TNT chipset in you computer not the MX-420. When you attempt to install the drivers use the Update Drivers.. feature in the Device Manager. Do not allow XP to Auto detect the drivers. Select to manually select the drives. Pick "Have Disk.." when given the option and browse to the folder you expanded the fresh drivers into.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:41 AM

Use these drivers. Support for TNT2 is no longer present in Series 80 and Series 90 ForceWare releases.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

If you looked at the link Enthusiast provided you, you will see that you have the TNT chipset in you computer not the MX-420. When you attempt to install the drivers use the Update Drivers.. feature in the Device Manager. Do not allow XP to Auto detect the drivers. Select to manually select the drives. Pick "Have Disk.." when given the option and browse to the folder you expanded the fresh drivers into.

Yeah, i noticed that, but thats a 750n. I have a 752n, and when i looked up the specs on the HP site, it just says "Video Graphics: Integrated into chipset, no AGP slot" So now im really not sure what I have.

thanks much for the input everyone

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

Have you tried using Everest Home 1.51 or Belarc Diagnostic Tool to obtain the hardware information?

#14 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

Have you tried using Everest Home 1.51 or Belarc Diagnostic Tool to obtain the hardware information?

I just used the Belarc one, and for "Display" it says "none detected" now im really puzzled

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

Have you looked in the BIOS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users