Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HJT Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 onesweetypie

onesweetypie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:07 PM

I haven't posted a HijackThis.log yet. I'm not able to...

I wanted to ask a question, I don't know where else to ask since it seems everyone hates pms.

I'm having a battery charge problem, the connection is loose. I use another laptop to charge the battery. The battery dies before any of the scans can finish. It's a shame because it dies when it's almost done. The max time I have with a batter is an hour and fifteen minutes. All of the scans take longer, even my own anti-virus program.

Is there anyway I can skip step five and go onto step 6 (attempt to, hoping it doesn't take long) and then post a log to get help to rid my computer of malware?
I have several trojans and etc. The computer is getting worse every single day! I don't know what to do.

Edited by onesweetypie, 30 August 2006 - 10:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hi onesweetypie,

I've moved your post out of the five day thread into a thread of your own.

Do you not have a power cord so you can run the PC from direct power instead of the battery?

HijackThis only takes a few seconds to run so you could post a log from it. But if you are as badly infected as you think you will probably be asked to run some scans anyway, so you need to be able to do that.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 onesweetypie

onesweetypie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

Hello,
Thanks for the pm. :] I wouldn't of known the thread was moved if I hadn't received your pm.

I have a power cord but the connection is lose because the piece that was soldered broke off and needs to be re-soldered. I have no time or money to take it anywhere right now. I'm more concerned about the malware on the computer right now.

May I post a HijackThis log for now? That way I can fix what I can without scans. I wish there was a way to stop the scan and fix what it has found so far. Is that even possible? I'm always aware how much time I have left with the battery. If that was possible, I could at least stop it and fix whatever is wrong instead of running scans over and over yet I'm not getting anything done.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hi Usagi--hope you don't mind if I call you that. :thumbsup:

You're welcome for the PM. It's easy for threads to get lost if you don't have email notification enabled. That's how I keep up with my threads and i forget sometimes that not everybody knows how to set that up. There is a topic in New User Orientation for subscribing to existing topics:

How To Subscribe To An Existing Topic So You Are Notified When There Are Replies

I prefer to get notification to all topics I start or reply to and you have to set that up in your BC Control Panel (My Controls link). Or if you don't want the email, when you come on site you can click on the My Topics link (next to My Controls) toward the top of any BC forum page. That will show you all the topics you have replied to or started in the last several days.

Also, we don't hate PM's, but some people that are desperate or selfish abuse those, especially for HJT fixes. Basically we don't do most tech support by PM for several reasons.

But I digress...

Go ahead and post a HijackThis log, it's OK. Just don't post it in this topic (thread). Start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum. Give a description of what is going on with your system and it would help if you would link to this thread.

Once posted, if you can post back in this thread with a link to your log, I'll look it over. I can't promise I'll take it on, plus there are a lot of people waiting for their logs to be looked at and we try to be first come, first served. But I can give you some ideas of what you may have ahead of you to do.

I wish there was a way to stop the scan and fix what it has found so far. Is that even possible?

Not really sure about stopping a scan and then fixing stuff. It probably depends on the scanner. I know if we have to, with some scaners you can scan a few folders on your system at a time instead of a complete system scan.

We'll work something out. If there is some way to get the broken jack/connection fixed, it would be way better tho. I have little first hand experience with laptops, so it is hard for me to picture the problem and what to do. I was thinking if you can get the battery charged on another laptop that you could switch something out, like a battery pack, but if it's not desgined that way it won't help much. Someone else may have an idea along these lines.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 onesweetypie

onesweetypie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

Ahh I see about the PM situation, sorry for assuming then.

Thank you, I'll go ahead and post a log then. I understand completely that you may not be able to take it. I also understand first come, first serve. I'm perfectly fine with that.

I just now thought of selecting certain areas to scan so it won't take as long. I have another laptop that I am charging the batteries with, but it takes about 3-4 hours for each battery to charge. The laptops I have mostly depend on it being plugged in.

I just posted a log at 8:05 PM Central Time.

Edited by onesweetypie, 01 September 2006 - 07:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users