Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build review

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

A little background, please don't troll I am new to building. This will be my first build so I want to bounce this off some experienced builders so I know all my components will line up.

System Use:

Gaming and home computer use (online school etc.). No big 3D programing, video editing or professional work expected.

System I have picked out now....

Asus MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-A LGA1151

GPU: Asus GTX 1070 ROG edition boost clocked 1860MHz

CPU: i5 7600k

HD: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb-M.2 SATA III Internal SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Superova G3 750W Modular

Mechanical drive: Segate 1TB BarraCuda

RAM: Cosair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz  16GB

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Wireless Card: ASUS 4x4 802.11AC  AC3100  (computer is not near the router need WiFi)

Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound

NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case

Right now the game I play is GW2 which is said to be more CPU then GPU demanding. I may be branching out into other games so I would like this machine to be build to play most top games now, Ultra settings.

So tips, thoughts, tricks, things to look for would be helpful. Let me know if I am on the right track. Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

For now, wait for AMD to release their new Ryzen processors which may end up being better than intels current range. 

Otherwise, your GPU is more for 2560 x 1440 resolution (Quad HD). If you are planning to play at 1080p then it's either an RX 480 4GB or 1060 6GB. A PSU rated 750W is overkill for what you're doing unless you'd like to run dual GPU's.

As you're new to building, I'd reccomend https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ for their compatibility filter.

Good luck  :thumbup2:

#3 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the tips. I saw that AMD was coming out with a new processor from other posts. I won't be getting into 4K gaming or 3D so 2560X1440 might be enough. If I jump to the i7 7700K will this make a big difference? Price is not a huge jump. 

I played with pcpartpicker.com thanks for the tip on compatibility. Any idea when the Razer line will release?

Also, whats the advantage to building this or buying one. (I know people are going to hate on that) But right now there is an Alienware (last years) on sale with 7700K, GTX1080, 16gig, 125SSD, 2TB Mechanical, for $1650. The above system is at the same price point, just slightly higher actualy. I am assuming it will be inferior MOBO and other components but to land a GTX1080 and 7700K at the price point I can't build one for that.

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Ryzen launch is "early March".

HD: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb-M.2 SATA III Internal SSD

I see no sense buying SATA SSD on M.2 form factor. You want M.2 SSD, buy NVME part.

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the tips. I saw that AMD was coming out with a new processor from other posts. I won't be getting into 4K gaming or 3D so 2560X1440 might be enough. If I jump to the i7 7700K will this make a big difference? Price is not a huge jump. 

I played with pcpartpicker.com thanks for the tip on compatibility. Any idea when the Razer line will release?

Also, whats the advantage to building this or buying one. (I know people are going to hate on that) But right now there is an Alienware (last years) on sale with 7700K, GTX1080, 16gig, 125SSD, 2TB Mechanical, for $1650. The above system is at the same price point, just slightly higher actualy. I am assuming it will be inferior MOBO and other components but to land a GTX1080 and 7700K at the price point I can't build one for that.

Ryzen will be released in about a months time. 2560 x 1440 Monitors can be significantly more than their 1080p counterparts. Honestly, I wouldn't notice the difference when gaming and I would rather put the money towards a dual monitor setup at 1080p unless I was using Photoshop with it.

With the Alienware one, You can build it for $100 cheaper if you were willing to buy parts from multiple merchants https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qKssJ and it would have 250GB SSD as opposed to a 125GB one. Building it also means you don't have any bloatware which takes up storage and slows your system down and a GTX 1080 would need a 4k Monitor to utilize its full potential otherwise, it'd seem a bit of a waste (Unless you are willing to spend $600 - $700 for a 2560 x 1440p Monitor that has a 144hz refresh rate). If you're building, you also know what parts are going into it, pre-built ones generally cut costs at every corner so you may end up with an inferior motherboard, a budget PSU (This would be bad as it wouldn't regulate your voltages as well as it should), Lower speed RAM (Not much of an issue as there are little performance hits).

A jump to an i7 7700k wouldn't be worthwhile for gaming as there is no use for the Hyper-threading on it, it would actually harm your gaming performance in some cases. But at the moment, it would be silly to buy a high end CPU with Ryzen coming out so soon.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2017 - 08:55 AM.
Edited quotebox - Hamluis.

#6 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the tips guys some good input here.  :thumbup2:

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#7 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

have another question. If I go with an i5 7600k now and don't wait for the new Ryzen does the i5, if overclocked, what type of CPU cooler should I use? Looking at either a Corsair Hydro H100i or Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Obviously there a significance price difference but if Im putting $1400+ into a computer I'm not going to cry over $65.

Or is there another recommendation?

#8 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:55 AM

You'd use a water cooler if you wanted to overclock it and an air cooler if you didn't want to. Besides, the i5 is probably over priced anyway as there is no competition in that area of CPU's. That's why Intel is currently panicking over the release of Ryzen as they know that if Ryzen is any good then it means a rather large loss in profits for them. Do me a favor and search "AMD Ryzen" into Google and look at the news for it. The way I can see this going is that intel and AMD will start releasing lots of CPU's this year which isn't good for the companies but great for the consumers.

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

You can use a good air cooler with an overclocked system it's merely that you may have higher operating temperatures under load situations. E.G 3570K with Hyper 212 @ 4.5 ghz @ 68c while gaming (voltage used depending). 3570k @ 4.5 ghz H75 @ 60c (voltage used depending). Both situations would be well under temperature threshholds for the processor. Same with FX 8350 you can get around 4.5 ghz with a CM Hyper 212, Cryorig H7, Noctua etc as long as you are using a good motherboard. A good water unit typically will have lower temps under load not so much under idle. Getting good temps be-it air or water also depends on the thermal paste application and the seating of the heat sink unit (needs to have good and proper contact with the CPU). I personally don't use the dot method because it's dependant on the CPU seating as the builder sits the heat sink on top and latches, which invariablly can be somewhat different in each situation, thus I use the spread method and leave nothing to chance, and my temps are always lower than those that use the dot methods even when stock fans are used in builds I will spread the grease flat.

Edited by Zone_86, 12 February 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#10 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

As suggested I have been holding out for the Risen to see what happens but is it worth it? It seems a few people are anti Intel and pro AMD, I get it I'm anti Chevy pro Ford but both get the job done. So I ask this, with the release of Ryzen projected for next week (March 2, is what I read) what is their equivalent to the Intel i5 7600k? Are there any MOBO released yet, or at least project pricing? And what about GPU, should one stick with AMD or NVIDIA?

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

There probably won't be exact equivalent to i5-7600K. According to rumours, closest competitors to i5-7600K are:

R5 1600X 3.3/3.7GHz, 6 core, 12 thread, $259, 95W

R5 1400X 3.5/3.9 GHz, 4 core 8 thread, $199, 65W

R3 1200X 3.4/3.8 GHz, 4 core 4 thread, $149, 65W

For comparison

i5-7600K 3.8/4.2 GHz, 4 core 4 thread, ~$240, 91W

If rumours are true, then (compared to i5-7600K) R3 1200X is bit slower but much cooler and around $90 cheaper. R5 1400X is faster, cooler and around $40 cheaper. R5 costs about same but as it's 6C/12T and i5-7600K is 4C/4T, comparing them is unfair.

So if those rumours hold true, for same price that i5-7600K cost, you get much faster AMD CPU. Or if you just want "to get job done", you save quite a bit money.

Mobos are not yet released as CPU's are not available. But quite lot info is already available http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-round-up-msi-gigabyte-asrock-asus-x370/

For GPU, I recommend AMD as Nvidia has bad habit to lower performance of older cards with new drivers.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 20 February 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#12 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

What AMD GPU do you suggest? The RX480? or is there a better AMD GPU?

And as advised I have held off for the Ryzen for the past 2 weeks only to find out that they will only release the higher end CPU on March 02, If I want to  "save money" as others have suggested I need to wait until April or May to build my computer. If I had know this back when I posted I likely would not have waited, my current computer needs to be replaced. 

#13 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

There has been some great advice in this thread. I'll tell you what I would do in your shoes. I would stock up on the other parts that I would be using once the Ryzen R5 1600x comes out (that's probably going to end up being the best seller), and piece together a budget rig to house those parts. In other words find a used system (or buy them new) with an FX 4100-6300 with a cheaper AMD 760g mobo/setup. or FX 8320 970 setup (or used 3570k/2500k system)- and get a nice SSD, get a 1-2TB traditional SATA spinner, and then get something like an RX 470-480. Sure the bottleneck will be there to a degree with this cheap system to house your parts but who cares right? Wait till about June/July when all the Ryzen processors have been out and the AMD boards for them are more mature and refined and Windows has also had a time to sync with the new chips. This way, not only do you get a much better glance at the better boards and the full line of AMD processors but you also get to really see how they perform against the Intel counterparts and make your decision from there.

Overall if it were me I would just order FX 8320 (currently $129.00 you can't beat that) and an Asus 970 chipset board, with the RX 470 and the other parts from Newegg or Amazon as a sort of "placeholder system" and wait for the Ryzen effect to be more complete then make that choice later on (July) of Intel or AMD for your particular budget and expected usage.

Whatever you decide to do best of luck!

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

The Ryzen processors are available to pre-order online now, you should look into those.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Google Info