Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista's end of life and what to do about it

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

This topic is targeted at Vista users mainly who may visit here only for Vista support.
On April 11, 2017 support for Vista will officially end meaning that there will be no more security updates, no more official support from Microsoft period and you will be left with a unsecure OS.
I highly doubt Vista will get the same lifeboat that XP has as XP is still unofficially supported.
So what will a vista user do, for me there are three answers I can give you who are not sure what to do next after vista stops being supported:

1: Try Linux

Now I know what you are going to say "What is Linux?"
Linux is a alternative operating system to windows and unlike buying a copy of windows again Linux is free to use and try.
Its tragic that the mainstream user doesnt know what it is but yes there is another OS out there that doesn't conform to Microsoft or apple.
The easiest Linux i can recommend that will be on par with vista in terms of interface is Linux Mint

Its current incarnation is 18.1 and comes in two main flavors, MATE and Cinnamon plus there are other interfaces offered like KDE and XFCE.
All of these options seem confusing I know but each one of these choices offers something for someine.
KDE and Cinnamon are more for people who like a more modern look and feel while MATE and XFCE are more for older hardware.
If your Vista machine caan run its graphics then KDE and Cinnamon would be the best option

Now yes linux isnt compatible with cerain software but I know vista holdouts only use it as it has certain softwares they like that cant be found in later versions.
But the good news is that you can dual boot, still use Vista for some of your software and use linux for your browosing needs to remain secure in todays cyber crime filled market.

2: Go to windows 7

Now why would I put a windows solution under a linux one?
Well cost really, I know buying a new OS is pricey for some folks so with money on the line this is the second choice.
For the most part however if you can use vista you can use Windows 7, I know its interface is different but you have to learn some time a new interface if you buy another computer anyhow.
The biggest issue with & is getting a licence as it too isnt being fully supported by Microsoft anymore but 7 would be the next logical choice for a Vista user.

3: Go to windows 10

I am placing this option last as I know many have privacy concerns with Windows 10 but its also an option.
In terms of interface 10 will be a departure from Vista but since its Microsofts current obsession it would be easier to buy a licence for this over 7

4: Buy a new computer

Dead last is this option as yes buying a new PC isnt on the list for some users.
But you could get a preowned machine with perhaps something more up to date.
E bay is a good option for buying old computers that still work just be careful and it will be fine.

In any case this is a tough decision but the window of support for Vista will end soon

Edited by MadmanRB, 05 February 2017 - 11:09 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Good write-up. I would like to add it would be a good idea for anybody contemplating an upgrade to Windows 7 to download and run the upgrade advisor. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

#3 dragonfly5465

dragonfly5465

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

hi, i  came on here to ask a question about this, but since you started this thread I'll add it hear.

I've been looking at options to upgrade vista to windows 7, I can find OME versions cheep, download only no disk.  but when I Google to get info about it, there's a lot of people saying that the product keys are being sold mutable times and Microsoft block it and they're system stops working.

I can also find a refurbished  MAR version, (a little more expensive), but some reviews say that there are problems, and that refurbished OS don't always work well.

can anyone recommend a safe reliable way to get windows 7? 

also, I've seen some info a about 90 day free trial, but it's a a few years old, does this still work, and could I use it, and then use the product code from one of the options above? or would I need to reinstall W7 again at the end off the trial?

if this is the wrong place to ask, let me know and I'll start a new thread 

Edited by dragonfly5465, 05 February 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Its best to see if you can buy a licence from a reliable retailer for windows 7 as yes pirates have cloned some codes out there.

Here is a ZDnet post:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/seven-perfectly-legal-ways-to-get-windows-7-cheap-or-even-free/

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

This topic is targeted at Vista users mainly who may visit here only for Vista support.

On April 11, 2017 support for Vista will officially end meaning that there will be no more security updates, no more official support from Microsoft period and you will be left with a unsecure OS...
So what will a vista user do, for me there are three answers...

I intend to continue running Vista until Windows 11 (or whatever Microsoft chooses to call it) is released in 2018. Please spare me the security lectures. The widespread belief that Microsoft products are worthless without monthly patches clearly benefits Microsoft by providing an impetus to their upgrade cycle, but today's patches are more likely to break something than save you from a threat that actually exists in the wild. As everyone running Vista knows, Microsoft's update infrastructure is broken anyway. If not for a clever workaround, all Vista patches for the last six months or more would have to be installed manually. Windows 7 and even 8.1 have also had their share of problems getting updates from Microsoft. In January 2017, Microsoft issued hardly any patches at all for any product except Windows 10. Does that mean that Windows 7 and 8.1 are currently insecure?

There is no shortage of antivirus software that still supports Vista, albeit Vista users had better check the system requirements of every software product they rely on, and antivirus support may plummet when 2018 versions are released this fall. My biggest concern is that no major browser will support Vista after Firefox ESR 52 has come and gone, but I am investigating lesser-known browsers such as Pale Moon and Slimjet.

Paying for a Windows 7 product key strikes me as absurd because it is virtually identical to Vista and next in line for the chopping block. As for Windows 10, I didn't fail to notice that a large majority of Windows 7 users rejected the free upgrade that wasn't offered to Vista, so why would I want to pay for that piece of junk? If Windows 11 proves to be no better, then I will consider Linux or Mac.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

Perhaps, but still do try a dual boot sometime in the future.

It may help you out on transition

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

No thanks.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:58 PM

Well here is a good question, why not?

Its not like trying linux would make your computer explode or anything, you dont even have to install it to try it out plus there are tools like virtualbox to learn it with.

There are no codes, 30 day trails or anything with linux its free to try and install by default.

Sure there are commercial versions of linux but the majority of flavors are free.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Yeah...I am trying to hang on until next year, as I believe they will release another OS or update version, as too many people here rolled back to Windows 7 due to privacy invasion concerns. 

What stops me from doing any now: driver's issue--Windows 10 just a pain in the ....from what I read from this forum.

Does anyone think Android will rolls out an OS that substitute Windows ?

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Yeah...I am trying to hang on until next year, as I believe they will release another OS or update version, as too many people here rolled back to Windows 7 due to privacy invasion concerns. 

What stops me from doing any now: driver's issue--Windows 10 just a pain in the ....from what I read from this forum.

Well there's always Linux for that sort of thing

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

Windows 10 has an end of life date of 2025. Consider linux on a computer that previously ran Vista. The CPU and amount of RAM would determine which distro to try. 

As far as Android there are emulators but there is also software that will turn your computer into a chromebook but the chrome OS is not android.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-an-old-laptop-into-a-chromebook/

#12 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Windows 10 has an end of life date of 2025. Consider linux on a computer that previously ran Vista. The CPU and amount of RAM would determine which distro to try. 

As far as Android there are emulators but there is also software that will turn your computer into a chromebook but the chrome OS is not android.

Yeah.....in a way, I am truly standing in cross road here...to jump to Linux, or not to jump,....that is the question. 

To jump, that means I will have to spend countless hours to learn how to navigate...after all these years with Windows. Plus, MS has a behavior that they make 1 good OS, then the next one is bad, then make the following one Good again, then Bad again....don't know why,...but that's what it seems,...

Chromebook for me, is not a real computer,....I am hoping they will truly roll out an OS for real computers.

Windows Update is brings more problem than ever, the patches, according to some, create more problems, not to mention it takes forever to CHECK for Update,...now I turn the AUTO UPDATE off, and manually check once a month at microsoft's website, it is easier for me this way. 

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

Yeah.....in a way, I am truly standing in cross road here...to jump to Linux, or not to jump,....that is the question. 

To jump, that means I will have to spend countless hours to learn how to navigate...after all these years with Windows. Plus, MS has a behavior that they make 1 good OS, then the next one is bad, then make the following one Good again, then Bad again....don't know why,...but that's what it seems,...

Chromebook for me, is not a real computer,....I am hoping they will truly roll out an OS for real computers.

Windows Update is brings more problem than ever, the patches, according to some, create more problems, not to mention it takes forever to CHECK for Update,...now I turn the AUTO UPDATE off, and manually check once a month at microsoft's website, it is easier for me this way.
well there are several Linux versions made for Windows users such as Linux Mint indeed if you picked Linux Mint as your distribution you would find it very easy and user-friendly from a Windows user perspective

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

No update problems with Linux Mint. This is a good distro for people coming form Windows. 

There are different versions of Mint.

You can ask in the Linux Forum which version would be best for your hardware.

You can see Mint Cinnamon in this video. This is an earlier version but it gives you an idea of Mint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrPSDRjQzWk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users