Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinion on BitDefender - good, safe, useful?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aiumu

Aiumu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hello!

I'm using Malwarebytes, but hear there is free scanner from BitDefender in App Shop

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitdefender-virus-scanner/id500154009?mt=12

Any opinions? Would it be safer to have two scanners to use from time to time?

Is BitDefender safe or could it do something bad with my Mac? It's even in App Store so, respectable enough?

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2017 - 09:19 AM.
Moved from Mac OS to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

Bitdefender is a reputable anti-virus vendor and many of our members use it. You might also want to check out Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.

Also be sure to read the following.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Bitdefender is a reputable anti-virus vendor and many of our members use it. You might also want to check out Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.

Also be sure to read the following.

Intego's antivirus program is another good option. Intego has specializing Mac anti-virus (and firewalls) for two decades now. Their anti-virus program is not free, however. I will also note that quietman7's last link was an Intego link.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hello!

I'm using Malwarebytes, but hear there is free scanner from BitDefender in App Shop

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitdefender-virus-scanner/id500154009?mt=12

Any opinions? Would it be safer to have two scanners to use from time to time?

Is BitDefender safe or could it do something bad with my Mac? It's even in App Store so, respectable enough?

As noted, BitDefender is a well know anti-virus/malware company, so it is perfectly fine to use their products.

The one thing that I will note is that programs bought through the App Store can be limited due to Apple restrictions (in particular the requirement that they be "sandboxed"). For many programs, this is not an issue. It can, however, be an issue for more "lower level" utilities (which can include anti-virus/malware programs). The BitDefender program that you linked to does address this issue under the "Constraints" section of the product description, which I will quote here:

Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;

Thus, I would generally tend to recommend getting Mac anti-virus programs outside of the Mac App Store (i.e. buy/download directly from the anti-virus company's website).

As to running multiple anti-virus/malware programs, it is OK if they are only "on demand" programs (i.e. not constantly running in the background, but rather scan manually initiated by the user). Just like for Windows, there is a good chance that running two real-time (i.e. running in the background constantly scanning) anti-virus/malware programs will have conflicts and create programs. Of course, many free anti-virus/malware programs are "on demand" only.

#5 CoreyHB

CoreyHB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

I have used BitDefender on and off for 5 years or so. Overall they are a very reputable company. Sure, there are occasionally a few bugs in their programs, but there are also a lot of posts about bugs, that are in fact not bugs but simply the way the program works, as documented in the user guides.

I would not hesitate to use it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:52 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer CoreyHB.

You're right about the bugs and almost all security products have them or alleged ones from time to time.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

You're right about the bugs and almost all security products have them or alleged ones from time to time.

Made a suggested slight modification to your statement. :grinner:

You find me a software program that has NEVER had a bug (actual or alleged) and I will know that I will win the Powerball this week.   :bananas:

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

"...As to running multiple anti-virus/malware programs, it is OK if they are only "on demand" programs..."

While I do not know anything about MACs, I remember reading comments elsewhere in BC that advise against having more than one AV installed.  Even though one is real time protector and the other is on-demand scanner -- there can be problems with the automatic, delayed-automatic [and maybe even Manual] services and modules installed.  Check with Hamlius, dc3, Quietman7, and others.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

"...As to running multiple anti-virus/malware programs, it is OK if they are only "on demand" programs..."
While I do not know anything about MACs, I remember reading comments elsewhere in BC that advise against having more than one AV installed.  Even though one is real time protector and the other is on-demand scanner -- there can be problems with the automatic, delayed-automatic [and maybe even Manual] services and modules installed.  Check with Hamlius, dc3, Quietman7, and others.

Conflicts of anti-virus/malware programs typically only happen with real-time versions...whether it be Macs or Windows computers. This is not to say that you might get conflicting reports of found/not found viruses/malware. It is typically OK to run multiple pure "on demand" anti-virus/malware tools (i.e. no real time running services) on the same computer as long as you don't run the "on demand" scans at the same time...this it true of both Windows and Macs.

Now, keep in mind that most anti-virus programs (at least those that are labeled as anti-virus programs as opposed to anti-malware) tend to have real-time components. Thus, installing more than one anti-virus program is not a good idea. Generally, the free "on-demand" scanners are typically referred to as anti-malware programs and typically can be used in association with an installed anti-virus program.

An excellent example of this "combo" on a Windows computer is some typical anti-virus program used along with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. And I will note that the paid version of MBAM does have a real-time scanner that does not generally cause conflicts with traditional, installed anti-virus programs...and MalwareBytes does say that MBAM should be run in conjunction with a traditional anti-virus program.

The key is that you should not run more than "traditional" anti-virus program on a computer as they almost always have real-time services/components that might conflict. This generally does not apply to pure "on demand" scanners.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

In addition to potential conflicts, I explain in more detail in this topic why most security vendors advise against not using more than one anti-virus program.

Also read the NOTE in regards to Using Multiple Anti-Malware products in this topoc.

#11 Ziltoid

Ziltoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

For what it's worth, I switched to BitDefender a few months back and haven't looked back.

The best rated free AV I could find was Avira, but I found the adverts annoying, and it almost always had my HDD running at 100%, so i'd be getting tonnes of lock-ups, even after I upgraded my RAM to 8GB.

I switched to BD and my Laptop has been running like a dream for the most part ever since. BD is incredibly light on resources I've found, doesn't obstruct you from doing what you want to do. Pretty reliable as far as picking up potentially malicious files too.

That's my experience so far. Well worth using. I have a couple of more in-depth tools downloaded for if ever I get wind of anything malicious going on.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

All free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software (and annoying prompts to upgrade) except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users