Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Lags

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 friedup

friedup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Hi, I'm using Windows XP remote desktop. Speakeasy speed test shows that the host computer (the one I'm connecting to?) has a download speed of 2700KB and upload of 370KB. The client (pc I'm connection from?) has a download speed of only 430KB and upload of 100KB. The games I'm playing on the internet work perfectly fine with my measly 430KB when I connect directly to the internet from my client, but lag a lot when I connect to the host and play from there. Shouldn't the programs run smoothly since my host is uploading the information at 370KB which is similar to the 430KB which is the speed I'm connecting with my client? I already put the color down to 256 colors and got rid of the sound and devices.

Would it help to upgrade the bandwidth of my host or client? Any other ways to make it not lag?

Also, my Internet Provider said I was getting like 6000 download and 750KB upload, but I'm only showing 2700KB and 370KB from the speakeasy test. Is that test reliable? If I have multiple comptuers plugged into that network through a router does that divide the bandwidth into the number of ports that are being used on the router?

Sorry for the rambling questions. I'm not very tech savvy. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

Lag is a fact of life with remote desktop stuff - it's because the entire desktop has to redraw whenever you change/move something. Very resource intensive. In experiments with pcAnywhere at my wife's office - the lag is in the transmission of the redrawn screen rather than on the host PC.

And this is with 2 very good cable internet connections running (6 mbps and 3 mbps).

Speedtests are relative to the distance they are from you (and how many "legs" of the internet that they access). You'll have great download and upload speed where the cable comes out of the computer - but each step along the way puts more restrictions on how fast you can go. Generally when doing a speedtest it's best to select the site closest to you for the best results.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

Windows Remote Desktop is particuarily laggy. May I suggest realVNC. Google and you will find it. It is free to use too. You have to install it on both computers and I suggest you put a password.

#4 friedup

friedup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:47 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try realVNC out. Hopefully I will be able to install and set it up through remote desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users