Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Drive Properties

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kdenton65

kdenton65

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:16 AM

I am using Windows 8.1 on a HP Notebook. When I open Windows Explorer and bring up the disk drives (C:/ D:/ or F:/) and right-click and choose Properties, I get an error saying "Desktop - The properties for this item are not available using Windows Explorer." I've never had a problem seeing Properties with Windows Explorer before. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to view the Properties of my disk drives?

I have been all over Google trying to find something, but it seems that 99% of the "solutions" are for Windows 7 or 10. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.  In the menu that opens select Disk Management.  This may take a minute to load, so have patience.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kdenton65

kdenton65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:38 PM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.  In the menu that opens select Disk Management.  This may take a minute to load, so have patience.

Ok I did that. I'm going to try to attach a screenshot. What I am trying to do is create a ReadyBoost (I think that's what it's called) disk. Ok I just found out I can't attach a picture unless it has a URL? Anyway, it still won't let me use the sd card for that purpose. Is there anything you can tell me about that?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kdenton65

kdenton65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

Attached File  disk_mangement.jpg   50.18KB   0 downloadsOk. Here goes nothing...

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

This shows all of your drives with the possible exception of a optical drive.  Is this what you were looking for?

#7 kdenton65

kdenton65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

This shows all of your drives with the possible exception of a optical drive.  Is this what you were looking for?

I wanted to view the properties of the F:/ drive while I had a usb memory stick inserted so I could see if I could use it for ReadyBoost. I've tried so many different things and nothing is working. I'll just live without it. I read something about downloading software that could give you more RAM? What is your opinion on that?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

1. I wanted to view the properties of the F:/ drive while I had a usb memory stick inserted so I could see if I could use it for ReadyBoost.

2. I read something about downloading software that could give you more RAM? What is your opinion on that?

1. If your hdd is a 7200 fpm or faster you would only notice a minimal improvement in performance.  It would be so small that you may not even notice the difference.

2. There is not way to increase your RAM short of adding more RAM.  If your motherboard is capable of running in dual, triple, or quad mode you can increase the throughput speed making the RAM effectively faster.  But I don't know of any software which will "increase" your RAM.

#9 kdenton65

kdenton65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

1. I wanted to view the properties of the F:/ drive while I had a usb memory stick inserted so I could see if I could use it for ReadyBoost.

2. I read something about downloading software that could give you more RAM? What is your opinion on that?

1. If your hdd is a 7200 fpm or faster you would only notice a minimal improvement in performance.  It would be so small that you may not even notice the difference.

2. There is not way to increase your RAM short of adding more RAM.  If your motherboard is capable of running in dual, triple, or quad mode you can increase the throughput speed making the RAM effectively faster.  But I don't know of any software which will "increase" your RAM.

Thank you for all your advice. God bless!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

Glad to be able to help clarify this for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users