Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurrence of an old problem after installing Chrome update Through Kaspersky

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MML

MML

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:08 AM

This is a recurrence of a two-year-old problem that I thought I was rid of.  It just came back after upgrading my edition of Chrome through Kaspersky's file update.  Symptoms include:

* a lock-shaped icon that appears in my task bar whenever I reboot my computer.  This time the lock actually has a message attached to it, though it was so brief that I couldn't get all of it.  Something about the administrator for my homegroup and the logon manager, and that if I check the event logs I'll be able to get more information on the problem.  It lists a "Catastrophic failure" in the error log attached to the homegroup system, if that helps.  I don't use the homegroup at all, and I'm still listed as the computer's administrator, with no other accounts sharing this status. - Update, the message says "You Are No Longer Administrator of your homegroup." 

*  intermittent sound difficulties, lack of system sounds when opening a file and slight audio delay when watching a video online.  There's also a delay when I start a multimedia file on my computer.  If I start a video file, my entire computer freezes for a bit.  

* An inability to install windows updates or support system updates or view my update history.  The message tells me "Windows cannot check for updates because the service is not running.   You may need to restart your PC" .  When I try to change permissions it tells me to sign into an administrator account, even though this is the administrator account for this PC.   if I click on the 'installed updates' link I can see them all (the last update was in late January).  Attempts to fix it get hung up at 'starting Bits Service' through Windows Diagnostic.  Error code 8007041D.  According to my update finder updates were last availible on the second and installed successfully; I upgraded my Chrome yesterday so the Chrome update definitely did something.

ETA: Chrome itself also refuses to update now as well. Scratch that, Chrome can update.

* When launching Chrome, a delay of ten to thirty minutes or more before it launches.

* Extremely slow download times.

AdAware removed my issues the last time this happened, but it's not picking anything up this time out.

You guys have always been the best at helping me out and I'm sorry I'm so heavily reliant on you, but I really need your help again. Since it was adware before I'm guessing it's adware again but I definitely need help rooting it out!

Edited by MML, 05 February 2017 - 04:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blindbatkid

Blindbatkid

• Banned
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:31 AM

Full Virus Scan AVZ

Download AVZ Create a new folder on your desktop and unzip it inside of the new folder.
Right click on AVZ Run as Admin.
Update the program by pressing the rrYeoht.png button.
Make sure all settings are the same in the pic below.

j0QfHnG.png

Next:
Under File Types Make sure the settings are the same as below.

9EC93k9.png

Next:
Under Search Parameters Make sure the settings are the same as below.

3SIF8I1.png

Now click the Start Button.

OLGG3jW.png

When the scan is complete then click on Save Log.

wnWcsaI.png

Save the log to the desktop -- Copy it and paste it here in your next reply.

Edited by Blindbatkid, 07 February 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#3 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

I'm going to guess from the fact that this user's been banned that the methodology suggested by them's a bad idea, but I'm still having issues so I'm going to take advantage of their reply to do a 7 day bump for my topic.   Could use any advice anyone's got!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users