Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot And Avg Free Suddenly Stopped Working!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hi,
Yesterday I tried to do a spyware sweep with Spybot. After clicking the program icon, I saw the loading icon appear on my desktop. It dissappeared and I waited and waited and waited. Nothing loaded. I tried again with the same result. I thought O.K. I will try a virus scan. I tried to load AVG. The same thing happened. Neither program will load.

I had previously downloaded these two programs from a tutorial I had read on this site and had done so by clicking the download links found in that tutorial. I brought up the tutorial and tried to link to the spybot site as I had done befor only to be disconnected from the internet. I tried again with the same result! I then signed in again and this time tried to google "spybot". I was immediately disconnected. My browser will not allow me to view anything with the word "spy" in it. I called MSN (my provider) and they suggested downloading spysweeper, Itried that but the computer states an error occured and wont allow the installation. This is really wierd. Has anyone else had a similar and if so, how did you correct it?

I am running W2000.

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

Try running those programs in Safe Mode.

I would also consider posting a Hijack This Log following these instructions:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

I realize you may have a problem with downloading any security products, including Hijack This. Let us know if that is the case.

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode using the F8 method below. Let me know if you run into any problems doing that:

a. If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
b. Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
c. Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
d. Ensure that the Safe Mode option is selected.
e. Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
Make sure that you can see hidden files
" Click Start
" Open My Computer
" Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
" Select the View Tab
" Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders
" Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option
" Click Yes to confirm
" Click OK

It is advisable to rehide those files after your computer is repaired
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Thank you,
I appreciate your suggestions and will try to DL Highjackthis. I am not very computer literate though I hope this will be successfull.
The situation is so bad that I couldn't even view my own post with my computer. I had to use another non compromised one

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

If you can't download Hijack This to the infected computer, there is another way that has worked for others. Download on a different computer to a flash drive, CD or floppy and then try to install on the infected one.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Thanks again,

I attempted to run the programs in safe mode but had the same results (won't load).

I was confused as to your suggesstion of "Show hidden files". Do you mean that I should check that option to see those files? And then attempt to run the programs? Or, phraseing it differently, are you saying to run AVG and Spybot in safe mode whilst being able to see the hidden files? I'm sorry to be so slow at this sort of thing but I'm not very computer literate, but I'm trying.

Thank you

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

In order to scan the "hidden files" you have to "unhide" them. Are you going to try the other suggestion to download to another computer?

#7 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:35 PM

Thanks again.

Now that I understand, I will repeat the safe mode proceedure as befor and see what the outcome is. Then I will see if I can DL highjack this from the infected laptop. If I can't, I will download from another computer.

I really appreciate the help you are giving me!

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

Just in case. :thumbsup:

Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Posted Image

#9 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

O.K. I see I have a lot to do befor DL'g HJT.

Thanks

#10 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

Well, I tried following the instructions of what to do befor posting a hjt log to no avail. The computer will not allow me to do an online scan. An error messege either pops up or my internet connection is cut off! It's like this thing has some sort of built in survival mode or something. No matter what I do it prevents me from completing the task relative to virus/spyware cleaning.

The next step will be to go to another computer and DL HJT and then copy it to a CD. I hope I can do that. I"m not sure exactly how to do it , but I will try.

#11 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

I tried to DL HJT. from another computer. Everything seemed to go fine except that it will not launch. When I unzipped the files I got the messege 1 File(s) unzipped successfully. I clicked O.K. I then clicked close and was taken back to the desktop. The icon does not have an .exe extension however. It reads hijackthis_sfx.

When I click this icon I am returned to the WinZip Extractor and the proccess begines anew. What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

nu2this
Please go over the instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
They will lead you step by step.
Look towards the bottom of the page for the zip file extracting info.
Posted Image

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:02 AM

The icon does not have an .exe extension however. It reads hijackthis_sfx.

You may have Windows configured to hide extensions for known file types. If so, you will not see the .exe after the file name and you do not need to see it for the program to work.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

Well, everything on both computers stopped working, as it relates to the internet anyway, so I gave up and bit the bullet. I bought a new lap top and desk top from Best Buy.

They did the installation of Webroot's SpywareSweeper and Trend PC-cillan anti virus on both units. The fellow said I had some sort of firewall that worked with IE that was also installed. I hope everything is protected now.

Is there anything else I should get to further protect these new purchases? I really don't want to go through this again.

Thanks for all the prior help from you folks.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection , you may want to read "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe" and "How to Prevent Spyware"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users