Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell vs. HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

I've supported and owned both Dell and HP and there really isn't much difference.

Dell allows you to look up your information by service tag so that you have the exact information on your machine.  HP allows you to look by model or serial number.  Dell would be my choice here.

Other than that they both have good models and bad models and only over time do you find out which is which.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

Dell allows you to look up your information by service tag so that you have the exact information on your machine.  HP allows you to look by model or serial number.

Can you specify how to do that? Thanks.

I do however like this one Windows 10 Pro

Now (or soon) that Windows 10 allows the home version to delay updates as well, what would be the reason to get a pro version (other than getting Group Policy Editor)?

Edited by bcmo, 08 February 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#18 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

HP Support just search your model number.  HP also allows you to get the Service and Maintenance manual which contains the tear down information.

Dell Support.  You will need an actual Service Tag to look a machine up.

#19 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

Thank you.
What do you mean by service tag?

#20 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

It is similar to a serial number and is on a data plate on the Dell device.  You can click on the See Details link below the enter Service Tag field on the Dell Support link.

#21 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thank you.

I do however like this one Windows 10 Pro

What benefits of the pro version do you have in mind?

Edited by bcmo, 08 February 2017 - 10:10 PM.

#22 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

HP Support just search your model number.  HP also allows you to get the Service and Maintenance manual which contains the tear down information.

They give more information that what is available on Amazon?

#23 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

Here is a good article for you, there may be some more subtle differences that I'm not aware of also.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro-uk-difference-3618710/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#24 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

Dont like HP driver support so id take the dell.

#25 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

Here is a good article for you, there may be some more subtle differences that I'm not aware of also.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro-uk-difference-3618710/

Thanks.

Are there any way to find these tags or model numbers online, or only once you purchase the machine (in which case there's no more need to look up and compare the specs)?

#26 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

@bcmo, all the specs you should need are at those sites you linked us too?

If you want some Official Specs you might find them with the Model# found at the purchase site you are viewing, but that don't always work.  I pay close attention to the Reviews, and look at the Official site also, then, Amazon, Ebay, newegg...anywhere you can find some good feedback.  When I see a pc that don't have any reviews I'm a little suspicious, maybe for no good reason but that's just what I think.

pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#27 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:51 PM

I personally say in terms of quality control Dell is better than Hewlett-Packard however if you don't want a Windows 10 experience Dell does offer a Linux laptop or two and they are very compliant with Linux standards so if you don't like Windows 10 Linux is a good option for you

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 February 2017 - 10:52 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#28 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

My self of late i had to deal with some HP systems and man its like when they make a computer they only give you divers for one version of windows, if you don't like it too bad, that douse very little for me in regards to costumer support / hardware support.

#29 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Right, so my question is what those support pages (from Dell and HP) offer in addition.

I'm thinking something with specs similar to this or this from HP, and this, this or this from Dell.

Does anyone know if all of these laptops have batteries that are can be removed from the laptop with just a flicking of a switch?

#30 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

Right, so my question is what those support pages (from Dell and HP) offer in addition.

I'm thinking something with specs similar to this or this from HP, and this, this or this from Dell.

Does anyone know if all of these laptops have batteries that are can be removed from the laptop with just a flicking of a switch?

Specific Drivers, Manuals and other support info.

I've already spent a lot of time looking at those for you, but most laptops these days you can remove the batteries very easily, yes.  Look up the laptop at the official site and or just do a search for a User's Manual for the pc in question and look to see if battery can be removed.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users